Default What is the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man comic about?

Another reason why I hate it when two comics are distinguished by nothing but a adjective.

I've been reading The Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer consistently, but Marvel has another Spider-titles called Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, this one written by Tom Taylor. I keep seeing it at the store, but I haven't been tempted to pick it up because it seems redundant. It might not be, so that's why I'm here. Can anyone please tell me what Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is about, and how it's different from The Amazing Spider-Man? Is it worth reading?

Google didn't give me what I was hoping for, so I thought I'd ask here as I'm sure some of you have read it.

FNSM is the current (soon to end) sister title to ASM. Written by Tom Taylor and drawn mostly by Juann Cabal and Ken Lashley, this series' premise focuses on the down to earth side of Peter's life. Specifically his relationship with his neighbors. The series introduces a new character called Rumor, a new/old superhero who teams up with Spidey against a new villain group called Under York. The series also started the storyline of Aunt May having health issues, and how Peter has been dealing with that.

An apt comparison would be Paul Jenkins' Peter Parker: Spider-Man series from the early 2000s. Both are solid, down to earth stories about Peter that perfectly supplement their main titles.

Interesting, so it's smaller-scale affair I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Interesting, so it's smaller-scale affair I take it?
    Yes, definitely so. Issues 1-4 are pretty small-scale but has larger elements that play into the series, issue 5 is about Peter's reaction to May's health, issue 6 is a touching story about a boy and Spider-Man, issues 7-10 are small scale adventures with Prowler and Rumor, issue 11 is an all-MJ issue, issue 12 is a murder mystery, and issues 13-14 will close out the series with a Spidey/FF team-up. The biggest thing that happens is May's health.

I might check it out then. Really wish they had a better title though, because it's like how X-Men used colors and adjectives for like five different X-Men titles going on at once. It makes all of them look the same just with interchangeable casts. Dawn of X corrects this by giving all of them distinct titles, and this small improvement makes it so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I might check it out then. Really wish they had a better title though, because it's like how X-Men used colors and adjectives for like five different X-Men titles going on at once. It makes all of them look the same just with interchangeable casts. Dawn of X corrects this by giving all of them distinct titles, and this small improvement makes it so much better.
    I totally get that. Marvel has been doing this thing with Spider-Man lately by reviving older titles for short 12-24 issue stints as satellites, which is why a year ago Spectacular was revived. Now, we have FNSM. Who knows what else is coming back.

BANNED

FNSM #11 is a great single issue.

As is Spider-Bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    FNSM #11 is a great single issue.

As is Spider-Bite.
    So is issue 5, 10, and 12

I haven't really been keeping up with the series but I did pick up the Spider-Bite and MJ centric issues and thoroughly enjoyed them, great stories with some heart and good characterization.

BANNED

I liked the last issue with Spider Man going all 'fly' on the goon and terrifying him completely. It made a refreshing change from him always lamenting the fact that he is not a detective like a certain caped crusader to stealing his spooky stchick and overshadowing him completely in the strikes terror in the criminal heart's department

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    I liked the last issue with Spider Man going all 'fly' on the goon and terrifying him completely. It made a refreshing change from him always lamenting the fact that he is not a detective like a certain caped crusader to stealing his spooky stchick and overshadowing him completely in the strikes terror in the criminal heart's department
    That part was gold. I like that element that Spider-Man can bring in horror because of his mystery.