Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

~ find someone who loves you as much as Storm fans love her ~

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    ~ find someone who loves you as much as Storm fans love her ~
    Looking for a Bunny Boiler, huh?

*DUCKS*

Yes Ororo could absolutely anchor a franchise. It would require a push and some good marketing and a quality creative team that doesn't want to just retread Claremont, but I do believe she has the star power to make it work.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    No. She was created as a member of the X-Men and been that for her entire publishing history. At this point it would probably take decades of some serious pushing from Marvel for her to become a successful solo character.
    and this thread is asking for her to be more than just a solo character but carry a franchise and with that comes spinoffs and characters/concepts which also can stand on their own under her. Only Wolverine and Deadpool have had that pull

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I think we've had this discussion a couple of times before. To answer the question, yes Storm could anchor a series. These are the talking points that I brought up before.

1. Expand her beyond the X-Men. She is so tied to the X-Men that it's the only thing people think of(and that's true of most X-Men). Have her appear in other books so that she gets more exposure across the MU. And not just the "girl" books. She should guest star in Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man etc. This isn't about name recognition because most people already know who she is. This is about conditioning people to see Storm as a person capable of appearing in any comic at any time(Wolverine, Spider-Man).

2. She needs a supporting cast that consists of mutants and humans and stories that focus on more than just the state of mutantdom. Yes, Storm is a mutant, we know. But she's also female and Black. Don't just be about mutant issues! And don't always be about social commentary on isht either. Have her kick ass for the sake of kicking ass without some deep social meaning. Every story doesn't need to be an after school special.

3. Now, before you pitch-fork carrying mofos start attacking me, listen closely bitches! Stop talking about Storm blowing up planets and taming galaxies all the time! Yes, she farts lightning and coughs hurricanes! She's a badass among the badassess. But just hear me out, one moment a writer has Storm taking down Thanos and the next she can't even beat Paste-Pot-Pete. Writers are famous for being inconsistent, so don't be shocked when she's as strong as the Hulk one minute and then can't twist open the top on a jar of peanut butter. They are going to punk her out to someone(see Thor, Superman, Wonder Woman etc. for examples).

4. Don't let all her villains be mutants. Does not help to broaden her appeal. Gets old. Bring in villains from other franchises. Trust me, when Storm beats Lady Stilt-Man, people will be talking. And remember, she's going to have to job a few times.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled nonsensical chatter.
    To add to the OP question:

These are the franchises that would fall under the Storm umbrella(pun not intended):

1. The Crew(mostly humans)

2. The New Mutants(this time there will actually be new mutants).

3. Fallen Angels(A redemption series for humans and mutants).

4. Runaways

These are titles that would fit in well under a Storm banner. I would definitely add in a few new characters mixed in with some familiar names.

BANNED

No, there’s never been a market for Storm outside of the X-Men.

She isn’t a kewl brooding white male anti-hero who goes around fighting baddies with her snikts. She’s a powerful, regal black woman who’d probably spend her time preventing natural disasters, fighting to end civil wars and government corruption in her native countries, and advocating for animal rights/conservation programs. But none of that is fun or relatable to your average comicbook reader, which is why dumb characters like Deadpool and Harley Quinn are super popular.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    No, there’s never been a market for Storm outside of the X-Men.

She isn’t a kewl brooding white male anti-hero who goes around fighting baddies with her snikts. She’s a powerful, regal black woman who’d probably spend her time preventing natural disasters, fighting to end civil wars and government corruption in her native countries, and advocating for animal rights/conservation programs. But none of that is fun or relatable to your average comicbook reader, which is why dumb characters like Deadpool and Harley Quinn are super popular.
    this is all sad but true...
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    this is all sad but true...
    Forgive my French but **** don't happen until you squeeze.

Sue Richards has a mini where she has a past as a SHIELD operative. No one imagined that scenario but someone is taking a chance. Will it have huge sales? Probably not but she's going to get a trade out of it and maybe another opportunity for a mini.

Maybe she doesn't get a solo ongoing. But, it wouldn't hurt her to have a few more minis come out. Maybe that's the direction for her.

And maybe team her up with some non-mutant heroes.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Sue Richards has a mini where she has a past as a SHIELD operative. No one imagined that scenario but someone is taking a chance. Will it have huge sales? Probably not but she's going to get a trade out of it and maybe another opportunity for a mini.

Maybe she doesn't get a solo ongoing. But, it wouldn't hurt her to have a few more minis come out. Maybe that's the direction for her.

yea marvel has to make the effort. and they effort they did take wasnt anything game changing imo. if they can keep pushing captain marvel there's no reason why they cant do storm.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

No, absolutely not.
    Storm is an anchor to the X-Men and critical to the franchise but she's so anchored that she can't ever stray from them.

She has pretty much been involved in every x-event of all time (maybe even second to only wolverine), which proves the franchise needs her but she needs the franchise too. She's never had a solo that blew the critics away.
    Last edited by JasmineW; 10-03-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Pretty much. If there's one thing Sue's book has proved is that she can have solo stories and lose nothing. Her first ever book was never going to do huge sales, but it's the start of changing people's perceptions. She has also appeared in other books without the other members of the FF in tow, like Captain America and Invaders. Like you said, all of this is how should start changing perceptions of "team characters".
    That's what Storm needs.

It likely won't happen in the next book Marvel gives her or the one after that, but if Marvel consistently pushes her then there is a chance to change that fan perception. That is one of the biggest barriers for "team characters" imo. Sales will always be low if fans off the bat think a character can't work alone. I genuinely think Storm can work, but it's about how much effort Marvel is willing to put in to make it happen because it will take a lot.

In other words; fake it til' you make it.
    Last edited by Crimz; 10-03-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Pretty much. If there's one thing Sue's book has proved is that she can have solo stories and lose nothing. Her first ever book was never going to do huge sales, but it's the start of changing people's perceptions. She has also appeared in other books without the other members of the FF in tow, like Captain America and Invaders. Like you said, all of this is how should start changing perceptions of "team characters".
    That's what Storm needs.

It likely won't happen in the next book Marvel gives her or the one after that, but if Marvel consistently pushes her then there is a chance to change that fan perception. That is one of the biggest barriers for "team characters" imo. Sales will always be low if fans off the bat think a character can't work alone. I genuinely think Storm can work, but it's about how much effort Marvel is willing to put in to make it happen because it will take a lot.

In other words; fake it til' you make it.
    And I'm enjoying the Sue mini. It's fun to read.

And I'm enjoying the Sue mini. It's fun to read.
    Great! It had a predictable drop in sales between issues for books like this, but I'm hearing quite a few people enjoying it. So I hope good word of mouth makes up for it and it does well in trade.

That's what you have to hope for with team characters going solo. The first book is not going to set the charts ablaze, but with a consistent push and good creative teams... Who knows what the future holds?

I hope Marvel gives Storm a push really soon.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

If Carol can get a billion reboots, why can't Storm?

Storm is THE female of Marvel. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    If Carol can get a billion reboots, why can't Storm?

Storm is THE female of Marvel. *shrugs*
    I wouldnt exactly say Carol anchors any franchise