Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 5 "new twists" for a new Superman project

Let's say there's a new Superman project on the horizon. Totally new, with no direct connection to any current or previous incarnation.

Could be a new movie, new TV show, new cartoon, new video game, new AU comic book series, new Broadway play, whatever. It's new and completely focused on Superman.

Those in charge don't just want a retread of old ideas. They want a twist or two that hasn't been done in any major way before with Superman.

Could be his appearance, his origin/ backstory, his powers, his personality, his occupation, his methods, his supporting cast, his rogues gallery, his settings.

They want a couple twists that will make this Superman project stand out positively from what has come before.

They want a list of 5 proposed new twists to the Superverse mythos, of which they'll incorporate at least 2 of them.

What would be on your list of 5 new twists on the Superman of this new project (you can specify your preferred medium if you like)?

First draft, regardless of medium:

1. Visually, Kryptonians naturally look distinct from Terrestrials. Something like unearthly pink skin, bright blue hair, and always-glowing eyes (even passively, not just when angry). Superman looks like an alien.

2. The eyeglasses are literally what allow him to pass as human. It's Kryptonian stealth-tech (originally a necklace for baby Kal) that not only masks his alien energy signatures and fools all terrestrial scanners, but grants him the ability to take on human appearance. It scanned Jonathan and Martha upon arrival and changed Kal's appearance to match theirs.

3. Lois Lane is about a decade older than Clark, and MUCH more professionally established, and already widely recognized as the world's greatest journalist before Superman ever debuts. Worked up from Daily Planet to Galaxy Broadcasting and is on TV, usually all over the world.

4. Lex Luthor always wears an all-white business suit with gloves and hat. Said suit looks civilian, but is actually bullet/laser/rocket/bombproof with auto-shields always on. Head/face/neck are also protected by invisible field. Suit has a powerstome that instantly absorbs outside kinetic energy (superspeed) and converts it to more power to his own suit.

5. The Kents are alive, complete opposites, always bickering, yet very much in love. Martha always wants Clark to publicly do more. Jonathan always wants Clark to publicly do less. Clark talks to them on a regular basis, and is as frustrated by them as he is supported.

Astonishing Member

Can only list two right now but

1. Regular Krptonians are already roughly 10 times stronger and faster than a regular human being in peak physical condition. Clark is a Super-Kryptonian and this was all due to Jor-El and Lara improperly constructing the shuttle for baby Kal-El to escape Krypton. While the ship effectively transports and stalls the aging of Kal it's not built to withstand the endless bombardment of various radiations on his trip including the radiation released by Krypton as it explodes. These various energy baths baby Kal-El has been introduced to from Krypton's destruction to his journey to Earth leave him with several internal mutations that leave him passively absorbing energy from various sources he's introduced to. This both super charges his natural Kryptonian physical abilities as well as leaving him with a plethora of new secondary abilities like heat vision, flight, telescopic vision, etc. His powers would grow both with his aging but also with how hard he pushed himself. His adventures as a child would serve as a base for experimentation as well as discovery.

2. He'd essential change modern warfare and revert it back to something akin to what it was like at the dawn of time. He'd forbid any military group on Earth from having endangering civilians in anyway. He'd just go up to every single military group on Earth and say if you want to have a dispute then you all have to go out into a empty field and fist fight each other. He wouldn't stop them from building up the weapons and what not since there are things out there much stronger than other human beings but I imagine he'd see the gun fight, bombing, destruction, shock and awe modern combat things senseless and ugly. Think of the story where he has the two general fight one another to decide who wins the war.
    Last edited by The World; 10-03-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I'd like to see Superman as the leader of a team that isn't the JLA.

One of my favorite comic book stories was him putting together the Supermen of America. I'd love to see that in a movie.

Lets see, I'd going with a short UK style series (6-8 episodes, 5 seasons tops) that would tell a complete narrative. No opened stories.

1. I'd still have him land in the US. But maybe not the midwest. Stick him in the North East, West, or even the South, but have him grow up in a city or something. Kents still the same ideologically more or less.

2. Instead of a reporter, I'd make Clark be a physician of some nature, his superior intellect & senses would work well in that context. He'd be an amazingly gifted surgeon, but not interested in making $$$. So he'd travel the world helping initially and be using his powers in secret where he was working.

3. Perry White is a former media or tech mogul that worked with Lex Luthor (still a tech mogul) at some point, but gave it up to found "The Planet" which would be the NGO Clark ends up at. Lois would still be the daughter of a US General, but she'd be a doctor or some other type of aid worker here in greater contrast to her father's role in the world. Still the same brilliant, dynamic person though. She's Perry's second in command.

4. I don't know if this counts, since it's been done before, but I'd go the Secret Identity route and have the "classic" Superman be a fictional character in the show (But not "Clark Kent"). So he wears the t-shirt as kind of a gag at first and like in SI, it'd throw people off initially, "Who saved you?" "It was Superman! I swear to God!"

Astonishing Member

1.Cir El is Clark and Lois's oldest daughter.

2.Power Girl arrived on Earth as a kid and was raised by Clark and Lois(after they got married).

3.Superman helps rehabilitate some villains/antiheroes and establishes a team for them.The characters he reforms are not just members of his rogue gallery.

4.More focus on rogues who aren't Lex or Brainiac.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Lets see, I'd going with a short UK style series (6-8 episodes, 5 seasons tops) that would tell a complete narrative. No opened stories.

1. I'd still have him land in the US. But maybe not the midwest. Stick him in the North East, West, or even the South, but have him grow up in a city or something. Kents still the same ideologically more or less.
    "
    He lands in Canada and becomes a Mountie. Then due to a series of unforeseen events, ends up in Chicago.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.