Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ripley Ryan: Star Appreciation

https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-s...marvel-series/

Well, it looks like Star is breaking out into her own, and getting a miniseries, so it seems like the right time for her own thread. Here is the appreciation thread for Star. I need to learn more about her, but I'm already liking her if only for her design. It has much of the spirit of Carol as Ms. Marvel, but is very distinct on its own. Cool design I must say, and now I'm intrigued. I'll be looking into the series and I might even check out Carol 30th relaunch just to see what the deal is.

What do you think?

They're really playing on the similarities between Carol and Supergirl aren't they? Star apparently cuts her hair between Captain Marvel #11 and Star #1, and of course has the same powers as Carol. Power Girl, being an AU version of Supergirl, also has the same powers that Kara does. And Karen Starr (note that surname!) usually wears her hair shorter than Kara Danvers (whose name is very similar to Carol's - though of course, originally the first and last names were separated, as Kara Zor-El's civilian name used to be LINDA Danvers).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I think the design needs a sash or a belt or something. A little too much uninterrupted white.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think the design needs a sash or a belt or something. A little too much uninterrupted white.
    I feel like a cape and a sash is a little too much. Speaking of which, it's odd that she even has a cape. It's rare to see that in Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I feel like a cape and a sash is a little too much. Speaking of which, it's odd that she even has a cape. It's rare to see that in Marvel.
    I think that may be partially on purpose when you consider the twist with her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I think that may be partially on purpose when you consider the twist with her character.
    I'll have to check out her appearance in the series (I haven't read Captain Marvel on account of not caring about Captain Carol, and her getting relaunched every month). However, from what I understand, she's a villain pretending to be a hero?

I wonder what the miniseries will be about other than fleshing her out? I suspect it might be where she goes legit because it seems like the natural road to take for a villain pretending to be a hero (like with Thunderbolts). Didn't they say her being a fan-favorite got her this mini? They did say "the mystery surrounding her identity combined with a stunning character design from artist Carmen Carnero had readers clamoring to learn more about who she was!" It's hard to imagine someone headlining to remain a villain, but villain titles do happen every now and then. Also, good to know I'm not alone in liking her design, I think the Power Girl-esque look worked so well in her favor.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They're really playing on the similarities between Carol and Supergirl aren't they? Star apparently cuts her hair between Captain Marvel #11 and Star #1, and of course has the same powers as Carol. Power Girl, being an AU version of Supergirl, also has the same powers that Kara does. And Karen Starr (note that surname!) usually wears her hair shorter than Kara Danvers (whose name is very similar to Carol's - though of course, originally the first and last names were separated, as Kara Zor-El's civilian name used to be LINDA Danvers).
    I’m liking her on first impression. Her design reminds me of the 1980s Ms. Marvel design, which I liked.

Welcome to the Thunderbolts, Ripley.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-th...n-black-marvel
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wasn't she supposed to have a new costume?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't she supposed to have a new costume?
    She made herself a new costume on the final page of the miniseries, but I don't know if she (or Marvel) ever intended it so be permanent. It was apparently Star's original costume design that played a big part in her popularity with readers leading to her getting a solo project in the first place. Makes sense that they would stick with it.