Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They're the same one. Look at the first appearance on the page you linked to. Squadron Sinister #1, 2015.
    No, they are not. There was an evil Power princess version during Secret Wars in Squadron Sinister called Warrior Woman. In the later series of Squadron Sinister, the Power Princess of that Squadron was an evil version of Zarda and in fact she stole Power Princess powers. Evil Zarda possess the same ability to absorb lifeforce than the Zarda from Straczinsky Supreme Power series. Later both Zardas fought, with good Zarda still being powerless (maybe as a reference to the powerless period of Wonder Woman) and ended tied.

From Squadron Supreme #12 (2016), Zarda vs Zarda.

No idea what is the deal with the Power Princess from the modern Squadron in Avengers.

Back to topic. How was the first issue of Star? It is good? Promising?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Strangely a really good first issue. Wasn’t expecting it to be that good.
    I hope she remains a villain, Carol certainly needs one and Star actually fits pretty nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I hope she remains a villain, Carol certainly needs one and Star actually fits pretty nicely.
    Yeah, I thought the pacing was nice especially since it had like, 4 cameos.
    Wasn't too rushed or too worded.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Had to laugh-- this was MY impression, too: "Strangely a really good first issue. Wasn’t expecting it to be that good."
    I guess I'd like to see her remain a villain, but a reluctant one, someone who finds herself in situations where 'the villain role' seems to be her only viable option, distasteful but necessary.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I really dug this issue too. Some of the scene transitions where a little clunky, but the trade off was that it packed a lot in.
    I hope they explore Ripley’s motivations a bit more, beyond just being power mad.
    And is she going to fixate on Carol, or develop some her own enemies?

One thing I’m confused on: Was Jessica able to resist the mind control because of her past experiences, or did the mind control work but the wording was sufficiently vague that Jess was still able to kick Riley’s ass?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    BHhahahhahahahahahaha!

I could be wrong about this but I fully believe that this Marvel/Disney realizing they screwed the pouch so bad with Carol that they are trying to give fans an identical character that they can rebrand in a better light.
    I’m curious, how exactly did Disney ‘screw the pooch’ with a Carol, considering she just headlined a billion dollar movie?

BANNED

Kelly Thompson has been killing it! Star definitely needs to stick around definitely excited to see how she came across an infinity stone

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I had the other impression, that she was a hero, very similar to Jessica Jones in fact.

But I’m more interested in how she got the Reality Stone. And the fact that Wanda met Star at the end is fortunate, because Wanda is the big reality warper. HoM, Avengers Disassembled, in fact anything that happened in the period 2001 to 2015. I imagine Wanda May have some therapist in mind for Star, because Wanda had great need for one. But the really big problem to my mind, is that Wanda could advise Star that there are a lot of side-effects of wishing things to be better - the wishfulfiller tends to instill their own value system to the universe, and that changes the Universe intrinsically. Maybe Star should also get advice from Reed Richards (used the Ultimate Nullifier, and, all Molecule Mans Powers to make ANAD). Best advice is don’t use the Reality Stone. It’s like the Genie syndrome. He gives you three wishes, but you’re never specific enough to really take advantage of the wish.

And I agree. It was a very good first issue, in that Kelly took her time, narrative wise, allowing Star to breathe, to find time to think, and learn at least from her mistakes. For someone being pursued, Star was able to settle down in a bar, mull over her situation, and show us she is the good guy. Star could have wished for riches, a new apartment, and security superhumans, but she stuck to very basic changes in reality. A villain would have made her enemies disappear permanently, with the power of a reality Stone. And the other pointer is the Reality Stone made her a superhero costume. It came out of nowhere. There’s a lot of mystery involved with this situation with Star, how she got the Stone, how the Stone is manipulating her, giving her a costume without her asking for it. (Star reminds me a bit of Moonstone in that way).
    Last edited by jackolover; 01-23-2020 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I really dug this issue too. Some of the scene transitions where a little clunky, but the trade off was that it packed a lot in.
    I hope they explore Ripley’s motivations a bit more, beyond just being power mad.
    And is she going to fixate on Carol, or develop some her own enemies?

One thing I’m confused on: Was Jessica able to resist the mind control because of her past experiences, or did the mind control work but the wording was sufficiently vague that Jess was still able to kick Riley’s ass?
    I’m thinking Jessica resisted the Stone the same way she resist the Purple man’s demands. I think it was Professor X that gave Jessica that mind trick.

STAR #4 (of 5)
    KELLY THOMPSON (W)
    JAVIER PIñA & FILIPE ANDRADE (A)
    Cover by CARMEN CARNERO
    Variant Cover by JEN BARTEL
    STAR & CAPTAIN MARVEL GET A BLOODY REUNION!
    Star’s been on a journey of self-discovery, and with the help of some unexpected teachers, she has managed to learn more about both herself and the powers of the Reality Stone now bonded to her. She’s also still on the run from some of the most dangerous villains in the universe, who will not stop until they wield the Reality Stone themselves. But it’s Star’s second confrontation with Captain Marvel, the woman who killed her, that will cut the deepest. When the dust settles, what will be left of...anything?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm guessing this is where she'll get cemented as a Carol rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I’m thinking Jessica resisted the Stone the same way she resist the Purple man’s demands. I think it was Professor X that gave Jessica that mind trick.
    I don’t think it’s so much that Jessica resisted it as she loop holed the scenario. Using the Reality Stone, the command had to be specific. Ripley only specified investigating for her, not that Jessica couldn’t harm her. And seeing as Jessica is touchy when it comes to mind control and manipulation, she made full use of the loop hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I don’t think it’s so much that Jessica resisted it as she loop holed the scenario. Using the Reality Stone, the command had to be specific. Ripley only specified investigating for her, not that Jessica couldn’t harm her. And seeing as Jessica is touchy when it comes to mind control and manipulation, she made full use of the loop hole.
    That was how I read it too.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    For someone being pursued, Star was able to settle down in a bar, mull over her situation, and show us she is the good guy. Star could have wished for riches, a new apartment, and security superhumans, but she stuck to very basic changes in reality. A villain would have made her enemies disappear permanently, with the power of a reality Stone.
    Well, she was about to set the whole bar on fire before Loki showed up

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    Well, she was about to set the whole bar on fire before Loki showed up
    To be fair, it’s a bar of villains so that’d still have her in anti-hero territory. So far, for the most part, she’s used the reality stone in self-defense.