Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

STAR #5 Cover by @CarmenCarnero

THE BLACK ORDER MAKES THEIR MOVE!
    The former generals of Thanos have come for the reality stone. The Black Order expects to find a novice but instead will find a dragon. The Marvel Universe is about to be a much more dangerous place…for everyone
    ERP7AvxX0AA10rj.jpg

So Star joins the Black Order? Or ends up leading them...

Did anybody here read Star #2?
    I thought it was great, although with no transition from the previous issue I think it's pretty clear that not everything is what it seems.
    The flashbacks will probably give us some more insight into why Riply went so murderous so fast.
    I was really surprised by the appearance of spoilers:
    the Black Order
    end of spoilers. That's a neat addition to the story.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Not a bad issue. I’ll keep reading till it ends, but I can’t quite wrap my head around it.
    I think answers are coming as to why she just went bad.

I've literally not read any of the current context that introduced Star in the first place, but so far the story is just incredibly compelling to me, as a reader going in blind. At most, I'm a big fan of the Black Order, and finally, here's a writer giving them really good scenes and dialogue, sometimes actually subtle. The focus feels a bit strange to me, in that so far I'm enjoying the times we see the other characters besides Star, and seeing them react to the situation or having much more extended dialogue than I expected, but Star remains an enigma to me.

I get she's still 'finding herself', but at this point she still seems to be just 'reacting' while the other characters are going deeper in figuring out Star's place in the universe and the repercussions. It makes sense in context of the story, but I'm just not feeling all that much agency from Ripley herself.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Does Star actually possess the Reality Stone, or is she merely linked to its power indirectly? I'm curious to know the extent of her abilities to warp reality. Does she truly have the power to be almost anything that she wanted, and if so, why has she made the choices that she's made so far?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    I get she's still 'finding herself', but at this point she still seems to be just 'reacting' while the other characters are going deeper in figuring out Star's place in the universe and the repercussions. It makes sense in context of the story, but I'm just not feeling all that much agency from Ripley herself.
    That seems somewhat appropriate since the lack of agency is a key element to Star's origin. She went insane and got on her revenge/power kick as a reaction to being an innocent civilian caught up in the struggles of super humans. Then she got her powers as the result of experimentation by another super villain (granted, she consent to that), and then got her power upgrade by a cosmic object merging with her without her knowledge.

The majority of her career as a villain thus far has mainly been her reacting to everything that happens around or to her. Perhaps by the end of the mini she'll have started to get a firmer handle on who she is and what she truly wants.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They're really playing on the similarities between Carol and Supergirl aren't they? Star apparently cuts her hair between Captain Marvel #11 and Star #1, and of course has the same powers as Carol. Power Girl, being an AU version of Supergirl, also has the same powers that Kara does. And Karen Starr (note that surname!) usually wears her hair shorter than Kara Danvers (whose name is very similar to Carol's - though of course, originally the first and last names were separated, as Kara Zor-El's civilian name used to be LINDA Danvers).
    I’m liking her on first impression. Her design reminds me of the 1980s Ms. Marvel design, which I liked.

Welcome to the Thunderbolts, Ripley.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-th...n-black-marvel
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wasn't she supposed to have a new costume?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wasn't she supposed to have a new costume?
    She made herself a new costume on the final page of the miniseries, but I don't know if she (or Marvel) ever intended it so be permanent. It was apparently Star's original costume design that played a big part in her popularity with readers leading to her getting a solo project in the first place. Makes sense that they would stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    She made herself a new costume on the final page of the miniseries, but I don't know if she (or Marvel) ever intended it so be permanent. It was apparently Star's original costume design that played a big part in her popularity with readers leading to her getting a solo project in the first place. Makes sense that they would stick with it.
    Her original look did work well as far as presenting this seemingly true blue Superhero only for the subversions that she's really evil, while the other look is more overt, but maybe she wants to be seen in "hero mode" while she's defending New York.

Yeah, especially when you consider that this team has been deputised by the mayor. They're public servants!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman