Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman vs the Green Lantern Corps

All post crisis. Fight on the moon.

Kilowog and 10 rookies try to arrest Clark.

If that fails, how many rookie Lanterns would Kilowog need to bring?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Call for the Captain....
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

So the implication of this thread is that Kilowag knows he's going in to arrest Superman, which implies that he's able to do some preparations. Going intangible and then sucking the solar energy out of the guy should be good enough.

If you are talking a rumbles style Quick Draw, this becomes a question of "how many autoshields can Clark overload before he's spread to thin to get all of them." And I'm not really sure how to answer that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    So the implication of this thread is that Kilowag knows he's going in to arrest Superman, which implies that he's able to do some preparations. Going intangible and then sucking the solar energy out of the guy should be good enough.

If you are talking a rumbles style Quick Draw, this becomes a question of "how many autoshields can Clark overload before he's spread to thin to get all of them." And I'm not really sure how to answer that one.
    Would it be something like Red Lantern Kara ?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Can't the rings generate Green Kryptonite radiation?
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

BANNED

Can Green Lanterns cloak themselves from Superman's super senses rendering themselves invisible and inaudible in everyway possible? After all if Batman is able to pull it off with his tech then it shouldn't be particularly difficult for them to do so. Then they go for the invisible blitz like the white martians.

Astonishing Member

In the past, GLs were said to do two things that might directly hurt Kal:

1. Produce Green K - Kal had explicitly worried about.
    2. Produce antimatter - again, way back when, Kal was worried that antimatter would be as destructive to him as it is to any matter (given he is made of matter and doesn't have force field shields to divert it).

Plain old beating on him with constructs is fairly useless. He breaks them. Pure explosive energy output similarly would not affect him much.

Other esotertics might work but usually haven't been tried that much. One could send a microscopic construct probe into his brain through some aperture and try to cause havok. It would be like the story when Green Arrow shot the Atom into Darkseid's brain.

BANNED

They can always go for his eyes like John Stewart.

Or when Sinestro sent a a skeleton construct out of Mongul's mouth by way of his butthole.

Or when Sinestro sent a a skeleton construct out of Mongul's mouth by way of his butthole.
    Wait what?

Lol, seriously?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Wait what?

Lol, seriously?
    Well, to be fair, it could have been through his urethra. Sinestro was a little vague. But almost certainly one of the two.

BANNED

Damn Dawg! Mongul was making Sinestro his bitch in one fight until he used cheat codes and started bombarding him with rings and batteries. Mongul could have stomped his weak ass but plot demanded Sinestro should win. Lol.
    Last edited by Desmark; 10-03-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Swiss army nerd

I feel like Clark is fast enough that once he feels he's being attacked - solar power dropping or something, he'll still be able to put decent distance between himself and the GLs before they can adequately react. (Thinking of like when Wally West avoided being shot when he felt the bullet make contact with his skin) Curious about the rate they can pull off a solar depletion, too.

But once Clark gets some distance, he can wait them out indefinitely if he really has to. They can only be intangible for so long before the ring loses charge, and he can zip to earth for a breath of air in half a second, and that's before the idea of him taking a sun dip.

GLs can definitely hurt him if they get the chance, but I'm not sure even 11 GLs with no superspeed reaction times will actually get the chance.

Question on GLs - for the purposes of rumbles, are all GLs equal? Like, have we seen Kilowog go intangible, or are we spotting him and the 10 rookies the feats of other GLs? Is intangibility etc a standard ability of the ring? I've seen various representations of a GL ring making kryptonite, ranging from simply "ring, make Kryptonite" to the GL in question having to know the exact chemical composition of Kryptonite. Again, not sure what the rumbles ruling is here.

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I feel like Clark is fast enough that once he feels he's being attacked - solar power dropping or something, he'll still be able to put decent distance between himself and the GLs before they can adequately react. (Thinking of like when Wally West avoided being shot when he felt the bullet make contact with his skin) Curious about the rate they can pull off a solar depletion, too.
    The AI in the rings can track, quick draw, and target FTL targets if the wielder wills it or programs them too. They can also travel at FTL themselves and more importantly launch attacks which travel at FTL. John once programmed his ring to auto fire if anyone moved over the speed of sound, and when stuff broke down it not only caught Clark but outdrawed Wally as well. Hal's targeted and tracked various speedsters in the pass, including following behind Barry Allen in lock step as they race all over a town. Clark also told Kyle that Kyle was the League's fastest flier in open space in the Circle of Fire storyline. The Lanterns might indeed have an edge for space travel feats, though in general I think space travel usually happens at the speed of plot.

But once Clark gets some distance, he can wait them out indefinitely if he really has to. They can only be intangible for so long before the ring loses charge, and he can zip to earth for a breath of air in half a second, and that's before the idea of him taking a sun dip.
    Not really. Even setting aside that he probably can't outrun them, they can always just recharge. Standard practice for modern Lanterns is to keep your battery in a pocket dimension where it can always be accessed. Kilowog at least should be able to pull his out, and they can always take turns covering each other while one recharges. (They could also just go back to Oa or wherever else to recharge if this becomes a game of keepaway.)

If Clark COULD get away, which he probably can't, sun dipping might present an interesting wrinkle... but it I don't think it helps him hit intangible people any better and really just increases his battery life once power draining, red sun radiation, or kryptonite enter the mix.

GLs can definitely hurt him if they get the chance, but I'm not sure even 11 GLs with no superspeed reaction times will actually get the chance.
    Actually the rings have amped up reaction time before. I'd be hesitant to say they can do it to Kryptonian levels-- I think their auto-targeting stuff is generally more consistent and higher end.

Question on GLs - for the purposes of rumbles, are all GLs equal?
    Not at all. I'd give Kilowog good odds of soloing these 10 rookies if he put his mind to it. But Kilowag is a top tier Lantern who has taken it to Superman solo in the past. And while not all feats are transferable, I think general abilities of the ring are, assuming the wielder is competent enough to know them.

Is intangibility etc a standard ability of the ring?
    Various human Lanterns (the ones who show up in comics more often) have turned themselves and others intangible essentially as a party trick-- like it being easier than dealing with doors type stuff. It feels pretty standard to me. I'm sure there are bad lanterns who can't, but there are also bad lantern who can barely keep a force field up or can't make constructs.

Like, have we seen Kilowog go intangible, or are we spotting him and the 10 rookies the feats of other GLs?
    I'd be shocked if Kilowog doesn't know how to. And given he is the primary trainer for Lanterns, it is probably something he could teach the rookies before they began the mission. Whether the rookies could maintain it while doing whatever else would be debatable, I suppose, and largely depend on who the rookies are.

I've seen various representations of a GL ring making kryptonite, ranging from simply "ring, make Kryptonite" to the GL in question having to know the exact chemical composition of Kryptonite. Again, not sure what the rumbles ruling is here.
    So the instance I believe you are referencing is Kyle having the Martian Manhunter feed the chemical composition of Kryptonite into his brain. The thing is, that was in the "last Green Lantern" days. Back then Oa, the Guardians, and Central Power Battery were all destroyed. Kyle's ring subsequently didn't have the yellow weakness, but it also didn't have the AI which came standard package to the rings before and since. So he lacked things like auto-shields or a super computer that would already have that kind of information to reference. It added to his whole "rookie flying by the seat of his pants" vibe.

As such, I'd assume a Lantern of any other era can just say "ring, make Kryptonite" and the ring will reference the Krypnonite file, and that's it.