Page 28 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I would like to see Jack O Diamond, the Telepath with Diamond Skin that was the criminal father figure of Cyclops for a while after escaping the Orphanage of Sinister as a kid
    he could also teleport by telekinetically moving atoms from one place to another
    he got new powers every time he absorbed radiation, in the end he became fully a diamond man and was destroyed by making him shatter with sound iirc, it was one of the old Stan Lee issues. He has not been in a comic since the 80s, when he was briefly resurrected as a zombie in an 80s She Hulk comic
    I would like to see him because it's funny how Emma was the second telepath with diamond skin to be important for Cyclops, there has to be a weird relationship there between Emma, Scott, Jack, perhaps even Sinister planned it all

Yeah, always liked this guy since Cyclop's origin story.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

This forgotten character, who had a connection to Storm: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Karima_(Earth-616)
    My flag is bacon.

Extraordinary Member

Was Mettle / Ken Mack from Avengers Academy a mutant? I don't think they ever said what caused his body to change to metal.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ken_Mack_(Earth-616)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Was Mettle / Ken Mack from Avengers Academy a mutant? I don't think they ever said what caused his body to change to metal.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ken_Mack_(Earth-616)
    It was said in an interview, I think, but none of the original six were supposed to be mutants (although Laura Kinney joined later). The sources of their powers (such as Reptil's amulet or Finesse's relationship to Taskmaster) were supposed to be explored later, but the book didn't last that long.

See - I was never a fan of Mettle - but he's yet ANOTHER prime example of a character killed off needlessly. They were doing great stuff with him and Hazmit - just to kill him off? Why?

I hate when characters - even if I am not a fan of them - are needlessly killed off.

Diamond Lil was another (I actually really liked her) - who was needlessly killed off - and it doesn't appear - from the first post - that she's yet been resurrected.

While not a fan of this era of X-Men ("The Hickman Era") - I am thankful that I am seeing mutants (Catseye, for example - and the rest of the Hellions) brought back from needless deaths.

Here's hoping people do more with these characters, rather than killing them off for no reason.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    See - I was never a fan of Mettle - but he's yet ANOTHER prime example of a character killed off needlessly. They were doing great stuff with him and Hazmit - just to kill him off? Why?
    Well as cynical as it sounds, from what i recall it was the success of the movie The Hunger Games.

Basicly there was a successfull hollywood blockbuster, based on a YA novel, showing a world in which young people are forced to kill one another for a big game show. All because the adults allowed such an opressive system to have become established. Etc.
    Together with the japanese movie/novel Battle Royal entering mainstream awareness (after having previously allready been a cult classic), it started a whole trend of YA novels centered around similar themes getting turned into hollywood movies.

As far as i can see it. Marvel wanted to jump on this bandwagon too. So they canceled Avengers Academy (or took it's looming cancelation as opportunity) and replaced it with a series in which many of the young super heros from that previous series are forced to kill one another (or get killed by the person in charge) in a big show for some people's entertainment. All while the adult super heros are portrayed as incapable fools, who get outsmarted by Arcade.
    And since it seems the writer wanted the the biggest shock or angry reactions on the internet, he picked the fairly popular character Mettle to die early.

So yeah short version. Marvel wanted the Hunger Games audience and just made their actual audience angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Well as cynical as it sounds, from what i recall it was the success of the movie The Hunger Games.
    As far as i can see it. Marvel wanted to jump on this bandwagon too. So they canceled Avengers Academy (or took it's looming cancelation as opportunity) and replaced it with a series in which many of the young super heros from that previous series are forced to kill one another (or get killed by the person in charge) in a big show for some people's entertainment. All while the adult super heros are portrayed as incapable fools, who get outsmarted by Arcade.
    And since it seems the writer wanted the the biggest shock or angry reactions on the internet, he picked the fairly popular character Mettle to die early.
    So yeah short version. Marvel wanted the Hunger Games audience and just made their actual audience angry.
    Oh, it's definitely a Hunger Games vibe - but needless. Nothing came of it after. What was Arcade doing with Mettle's body at the end? (Apparently, from what I read - they showed him doing something with Mettle's body) - Nothing came of it. No big pay off. Just dead characters that were getting developed.

I hate when characters - even if I am not a fan of them - are needlessly killed off.

Diamond Lil was another (I actually really liked her) - who was needlessly killed off - and it doesn't appear - from the first post - that she's yet been resurrected.
    Yeah, that pisses me off too, especially when they killed Diamond Lil just for shock value. I'd like to think she is still alive in that glass coffin awaiting rescue rather than being on the resurrection list.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Yeah, that pisses me off too, especially when they killed Diamond Lil just for shock value. I'd like to think she is still alive in that glass coffin awaiting rescue rather than being on the resurrection list.
    It'd make sense - considering her flesh was impossible to get through - even Madison had difficulty - and the dude's a genius.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned...but Jean's sister, niece and nephew.

Sara was intended to be a mutant and Gailyn and Joey were confirmed as mutants.

Maybe one of the kids is an elemental like Crystal of the Inhumans and another has tactile TK like Superboy from DC.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 03-01-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Ultimate Member

Agreed. He wasn't one of my favorites (that would have been Finesse, Reptil and Striker), but he wasn't my least favorite (Veil) either. He had potential, and he was ganked off to buff the villain cred of Arcade, of all the horrible losers, a schmuck who charges a cool million bucks to build a murderpark that probably costs many millions, to not have ever actually successfully killed any of his targets? (Until the Hunger Games / Battle Royale knock-off, anyway.) That's a hell of a business model, and one wonders where he finds idiots willing to pay him to be such a spectacular failure.

Mettle, despite having barely been fleshed out as a character, was worth ten of Arcade, IMO.

Yes! I love that standalone invulnerability power. Anything that makes a character feel like they have to work for a living and don't automatically have a great offense and a great defense, but have to make some trade-offs. (Cyclops works in the other direction. Bucket's full of offense. No defense...)

Lilian Crawley, Pauli Provenzano, heck, over at DC, Laurel Kent! Just a fun powerset. You get to write a character who is mostly unbeatable, but lacks the world-changing power to necessarily do anything in various situations, because they can't lift a building or shoot lightning or anything, so there's still plenty of room for drama.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Not sure if it has been mentioned...but Jean's sister, niece and nephew.

Sara was intended to be a mutant and Gailyn and Joey were confirmed as mutants.

Maybe one of the kids is an elemental like Crystal of the Inhumans and another has tactile TK like Superboy from DC.
    Shatterbox. These two kids are Jean's niece/nephew but were rarely seen and then were unceremoniously killed off. If they can't be major characters they should at least be backup characters.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

If Darkstar's dead then her. Just to be random.

Last edited by From The Shadows; 03-01-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Shatterbox. These two kids are Jean's niece/nephew but were rarely seen and then were unceremoniously killed off. If they can't be major characters they should at least be backup characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    If Darkstar's dead then her. Just to be random.
    I am not a fan of the resurrections...but since they are doing it they need to lean into it. So ANY mutant who died...as well as any possible or intended mutant needs to show up alive...and in more that just a 'look..there he is in the back corner of the party shot with 50 random characters' way. John Proudstar should be shown with a little prominence even if only shown sparring with his little brother and talking about what's going on. Same with someone like Darkstar (former Champion and friend of Bobby and Warren) or Jean's niece and nephew...and possibly Jean's sister. According to Claremont...Sara was going to have a power to activate latent mutant genes...Xavier would get all twitterpated over someone like that.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    If Jean were to make a fraction of the effort that Emma did in getting those she cared about rezzed, they'd be back already.
    My flag is bacon.