Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    They killed Windshear? ... Sigh.

I see he took up the name Chinook (sigh). And had Leukemia - but that can be cured by Krakoa. I thought?
    He wasn't dead, just depowered with leukemia

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    He wasn't dead, just depowered with leukemia
    The Leukemia they can cure, right? I thought I read that in New Mutants when I was still collecting that (no longer do).

And the Depowered - if he's willing to be downloaded - and die - similar to Wind Dancer recently was - that'd fix that.

Also - how is it they've not yet found a way to retrigger the DNA for the "X" gene?

I mean they have had Shi'ar technology. And they cloned Xavier and put him in a body that could walk and still had the "X" gene active.

You'd think by now on Krakoa, "depowered" would no longer be an issue.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Ultimate Member

The real reason, they aren't done milking the story yet.

Elixir has *already* repowered a mutant who had lost her powers, by accident, like a week after he discovered his powers. They've got mutants who can omega heal and change DNA and mutants who can *rewrite reality* and mutants like Forge who can literally invent *anything,* including guns that shoot rays that turn off mutant powers (and, in exactly 5 minutes, could logically design a gun that does the reverse, since that's how his damn power works). Hope and the Scarlet Witch channeled the frikking Phoenix Force to fix 'No More Mutants,' and yet there are still mutants who haven't got their powers back? How does that even work? HoM Wanda was somehow even more powerful than later Wanda, enhanced by Hope, and channeling the friggin' *Phoenix?* Shenanigans!

Hell, *Magneto* has the technical skill to awaken mutant status in non-mutants, as he did in the Savage Land with Barbarus, Brainchild, Vertigo, etc. Forge could do it *better.* Probably design a retrovirus that spread across the world (in Krakoan drugs?) that caused people to *gain* an X-gene and become mutants, even if they weren't (and, as a germline change, also make their *kids* be mutants.)

One generation later, a world of mutants! Forge becomes the mutant Oprah. "You're a mutant! You're a mutant! Everyone's a mutant!"

But no. It's the same reason that they haven't regrown Karma's leg or Hellion's hands or fixed Cyclop's eyes / brain damage yet, even though they've demonstrated the ability to do so decades ago. They want to keep these things status quo, for whatever reason.

There's a half-dozen ways I can think of that they could fix this based on stuff they've already shown they can do, but they invent bizarre reasons why it won't work (or ridiculously convoluted ways to do things, like 'the Five' to do something that Sinister and the Shiar were doing *by themselves* decades ago).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The real reason, they aren't done milking the story yet.

Elixir has *already* repowered a mutant who had lost her powers, by accident, like a week after he discovered his powers. They've got mutants who can omega heal and change DNA and mutants who can *rewrite reality* and mutants like Forge who can literally invent *anything,* including guns that shoot rays that turn off mutant powers (and, in exactly 5 minutes, could logically design a gun that does the reverse, since that's how his damn power works). Hope and the Scarlet Witch channeled the frikking Phoenix Force to fix 'No More Mutants,' and yet there are still mutants who haven't got their powers back? How does that even work? HoM Wanda was somehow even more powerful than later Wanda, enhanced by Hope, and channeling the friggin' *Phoenix?* Shenanigans!

Hell, *Magneto* has the technical skill to awaken mutant status in non-mutants, as he did in the Savage Land with Barbarus, Brainchild, Vertigo, etc. Forge could do it *better.* Probably design a retrovirus that spread across the world (in Krakoan drugs?) that caused people to *gain* an X-gene and become mutants, even if they weren't (and, as a germline change, also make their *kids* be mutants.)

One generation later, a world of mutants! Forge becomes the mutant Oprah. "You're a mutant! You're a mutant! Everyone's a mutant!"

But no. It's the same reason that they haven't regrown Karma's leg or Hellion's hands or fixed Cyclop's eyes / brain damage yet, even though they've demonstrated the ability to do so decades ago. They want to keep these things status quo, for whatever reason.

There's a half-dozen ways I can think of that they could fix this based on stuff they've already shown they can do, but they invent bizarre reasons why it won't work (or ridiculously convoluted ways to do things, like 'the Five' to do something that Sinister and the Shiar were doing *by themselves* decades ago).
    I have made the regrow limbs argument multiple times...with Elixer around there should be no one with stumps. Chamber and Face should have faces or someone like Forge could build cybernetics for them to give them a 'normal' appearance.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 03-07-2021 at 06:54 AM.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I have made the regrow limbs argument multiple times...with Elixer around there should be no one with stumps. Chamber and Face should have faces or someone like Forge could build cybernetics for them to give them a 'normal' appearance.
    Unless Dani tells them that they should accept their bodies the way they are...
    My flag is bacon.

The Leukemia they can cure, right? I thought I read that in New Mutants when I was still collecting that (no longer do).

And the Depowered - if he's willing to be downloaded - and die - similar to Wind Dancer recently was - that'd fix that.

Also - how is it they've not yet found a way to retrigger the DNA for the "X" gene?

I mean they have had Shi'ar technology. And they cloned Xavier and put him in a body that could walk and still had the "X" gene active.

I think the difference still is the actual presence of the X-gene. For example, when Elixir 'cured' Rahne, it was when her powers were suppressed so he was just reactivating her X-gene. During the House of M event, Wanda removed the X-gene from those people, so it wasn't just powering them down/off, so I think it isn't a matter of simply retriggering their DNA (since that mutant gene is no longer in their DNA).

It does make an interesting question for me then about whom Krakoa allows/doesn't allow on its land. I imagine some like Melody/Aero come expressively to be repowered so even if they aren't currently mutants/have an x-gene, they are accepted as 'guests'. Until she got repowered in Marauders, I had forgotten Callisto was de-powered, and at least for a bit of time then, she was running around as just a baseline human (so it wasn't like she came to Krakoa and queue'd up right away for the Crucible). And then there are others that are granted (not born) with an x-gene: like Sinister who spliced Proudstar's x-gene into a Sinister clone; Gwenpool who altered her DNA to 'retcon' herself into being a mutant. I thought that Xavier was unduly harsh to Franklin Richards in telling him he was no longer allowed on Krakoa. I mean by the same rules that welcome former mutants (who lost their x-gene) to come to Krakoa should also include Franklin. By their own examples, it shouldn't matter that he altered his DNA to include an X-gene (à la Sinister or Gwenpool) and the loss of his powers/x-gene should be treated with the same respect as those who lost their x-gene during House of M. But I know I'm just geeking out and I think ultimately this is just one of those wonky plot points that won't really get address further.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Don't even get me started on Dani's BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Well for Chamber - isn't his focus of power literally in his chest (which is what caused what happened to him)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    To what degree? What if your body has a deadly disease coursing through it such as Cancer or Leukemia (since we were talking about Windshear)? Accept that? Just accept you have a disease that's going to kill you?

Or do they heal that?

And if they heal that, why not a limb?

Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    I think the difference still is the actual presence of the X-gene. For example, when Elixir 'cured' Rahne, it was when her powers were suppressed so he was just reactivating her X-gene. During the House of M event, Wanda removed the X-gene from those people, so it wasn't just powering them down/off, so I think it isn't a matter of simply retriggering their DNA (since that mutant gene is no longer in their DNA).

It does make an interesting question for me then about whom Krakoa allows/doesn't allow on its land. I imagine some like Melody/Aero come expressively to be repowered so even if they aren't currently mutants/have an x-gene, they are accepted as 'guests'. Until she got repowered in Marauders, I had forgotten Callisto was de-powered, and at least for a bit of time then, she was running around as just a baseline human (so it wasn't like she came to Krakoa and queue'd up right away for the Crucible). And then there are others that are granted (not born) with an x-gene: like Sinister who spliced Proudstar's x-gene into a Sinister clone; Gwenpool who altered her DNA to 'retcon' herself into being a mutant. I thought that Xavier was unduly harsh to Franklin Richards in telling him he was no longer allowed on Krakoa. I mean by the same rules that welcome former mutants (who lost their x-gene) to come to Krakoa should also include Franklin. By their own examples, it shouldn't matter that he altered his DNA to include an X-gene (à la Sinister or Gwenpool) and the loss of his powers/x-gene should be treated with the same respect as those who lost their x-gene during House of M. But I know I'm just geeking out and I think ultimately this is just one of those wonky plot points that won't really get address further.
    For sure - between the disease and those who are physically handicapped - there's no reason for that to exist in this "Age of Krakoa."

But Marvel probably doesn't want to fix everyone - because there's representation of folks who have those handicaps in real life and may connect to those heroes who share their same handicap. Which I get.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    (...)There's a half-dozen ways I can think of that they could fix this based on stuff they've already shown they can do, but they invent bizarre reasons why it won't work (or ridiculously convoluted ways to do things, like 'the Five' to do something that Sinister and the Shiar were doing *by themselves* decades ago).
    This is one major reason i find the whole Crucible thing so forced as the main method to repower depowered mutants. There could have been many other ways to repower mutants, but instead Hickman goes for a method which involves ritualistic death, religiously influenced artistic depictions, disregard for the value of life and casual usage of a mass cloning machinery.
    Seemingly not because it's the most logical or fitting method to do so, but the most shocking, tribalistic looking and potentialy most flawed one.
    So the writer can eventualy hit the red buttom of doom and let it all go south when it will be the time for the story to reveal all the destructive and dark sides to it, in order to let everything implode and restore the old status quo (though at least likely with more characters alive or repowered again i admit).

To those who think the Crucible is a great idea and a fitting method, sorry for being so cynic, but i've been following these cape comics for long enough to know where the narrative mines and time bombs tend to be.

As for the repowering methods.

There was also the Morituri process which was introduced in Si Spurrier's X-force (comming from the universe of the Marvel series Strike Force Morituri). Which not only could empower normal humans, but also give depowered mutants their power back by filling the place of the missing X-gene as the power catalyst.

While the process was original very flawed (leathaly so), it was allready fixed by scientist working for the man who ordered it brought into the 616 universe, removing the time limit and leathality or weaponizing it depending on what he desired.
    By the end of the series Doctor Nemesis got his hands on it and apperently removed all the problems for those who got injected with the leathal version (Cable himself, Hope and Marrow), meaning ever since the end of Spurrier's X-force there was a functional repowering technology in the hands of the mutants.
    The very fact that Marrow was welcomed as mutant on Krakoa in House of X #5 more or less indicates that it has repowered her to the point where she is officialy a mutant again. Meaning it could have just as easily be used on everyone else.
    And it's not like the process was difficult to manufactor. The stuff was mass produced.

Funny enough. Spurrier's X-force also had Cable undergo a process in which he would wear a memory recording device, so that everytime he dies, Nemesis would clone him and then download the memories into said clone to repeat the process.
    Last edited by Grunty; 03-07-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Birdy, the Nasty Boys, the Acolytes, the Dark Riders, Gene Nation, pretty much every forgotten group of Mutants from the 90’s.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Very X-cited Member TheMutantTheorist's Avatar

Although it's unlikely, I hope they find a way to resurrect non-human mutants. In the past mutants like broo have been near death and if a situation were to arise like that again id be cool to see a same or different resurrection protocol for them. Only deceased non-human mutant that comes to mind is don the lobster lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    Only deceased non-human mutant that comes to mind is don the lobster lmao.
    Man. I was so upset when I first read that way back when. Damn Devil Dinosaur.

Well for Chamber - isn't his focus of power literally in his chest (which is what caused what happened to him)?

To what degree? What if your body has a deadly disease coursing through it such as Cancer or Leukemia (since we were talking about Windshear)? Accept that? Just accept you have a disease that's going to kill you?
    Not really. Chamber should have a face because he was resurrected on Krakoa. The only reason he didnt have one before was bc he wasnt able to control his powers when they were activated and they blew a hole in his chest. That wasnt the case for the AOA version nor Synch when he's mimcked his powers. With Hope present, she should have been able to stabilize his mutation as he emerged from the egg. There really shouldnt be a reason for him to have had the same experience with his powers

Chamber never evolved with his powers. He should be able to channel it through his hands and even fly/hover

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    Although it's unlikely, I hope they find a way to resurrect non-human mutants. In the past mutants like broo have been near death and if a situation were to arise like that again id be cool to see a same or different resurrection protocol for them. Only deceased non-human mutant that comes to mind is don the lobster lmao.
    I dont see why they couldnt. The problem is Cerebro doesnt catalog characters without an X-gene and Sinister has little to no use to collect and save their DNA as he does with mutants. Someone like Broo would need to be intentional
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-08-2021 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not really. Chamber should have a face because he was resurrected on Krakoa. The only reason he didnt have one before was bc he wasnt able to control his powers when they were activated and they blew a hole in his chest. That wasnt the case for the AOA version nor Synch when he's mimcked his powers. With Hope present, she should have been able to stabilize his mutation as he emerged from the egg. There really shouldnt be a reason for him to have had the same experience with his powers

Chamber never evolved with his powers. He should be able to channel it through his hands and even fly/hover

I dont see why they couldnt. The problem is Cerebro doesnt catalog characters without an X-gene and Sinister has little to no use to collect and save their DNA as he does with mutants. Someone like Broo would need to be intentional
    That also means that Pietro, Wanda, and Franklin have all been previous saved when they were mutants, or else they would have set off a red flag years ago... So they could be resurrected with their mutant status intact (at least Wanda and Pietro).