Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Amahl Farouk has fully separated from the Shadow King and went to Arakko to receive rehabilitation. Hasn't been seen since.

Mastermind served on the board of X-Corp with Monet and Archangel.

Blob has been the bartender of the Green Lagoon, a popular tiki bar on Krakoa.

Unus participated in XoS. He was captured by the forces of Amenth and the First Horsemen.

Nekra is the leader of the Exiles, mutants who broke Krakoan laws but were released from the Pit to hunt Sabretooth.

Mesmero was in a crowd shot of villains coming to Krakoa, but hasn't been seen since.

Vanisher joined S.W.O.R.D., working on the Teleporter Team under Manifold.

The Living Monolith was last seen fighting Korean hero White Fox, after a brief stint as the Juggernaut. He hasn't been seen in the Krakoan era, but was references in the Sins of Sinister crossover on a datapage.

Living Diamond / Jack Winters was last seen in X-Men Legends #2, a series published recently but set during the early days of the X-Men. He hasn't been seen or mentioned since.
    Thank you so much for all of the info on each character!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Blob's been seen bartending at the Green Lagoon quite a bit. Nekra's been one of the main characters of Sabertooth and the Exiles. Amahl Farouk had an arc in New Mutants which finally freed him of his possession/corruption by the Shadow King. Vanisher was mentioned as part of a teleporter circuit in SWORD. Mastermind remains a putz, and his daughter murdered one of Arcade's henchmen (for whom he was working) awhile back. I vaguely recall Unus dying on some mission, and assume he's been resurrected? Not sure, though.

No idea about Jack of Diamonds, Mesmero or Living Monolith.
    Thank you for all the info!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Amahl Farouk has fully separated from the Shadow King and went to Arakko to receive rehabilitation. Hasn't been seen since.

Mastermind served on the board of X-Corp with Monet and Archangel.

Blob has been the bartender of the Green Lagoon, a popular tiki bar on Krakoa.

Unus participated in XoS. He was captured by the forces of Amenth and the First Horsemen.

Nekra is the leader of the Exiles, mutants who broke Krakoan laws but were released from the Pit to hunt Sabretooth.

Mesmero was in a crowd shot of villains coming to Krakoa, but hasn't been seen since.

Vanisher joined S.W.O.R.D., working on the Teleporter Team under Manifold.

The Living Monolith was last seen fighting Korean hero White Fox, after a brief stint as the Juggernaut. He hasn't been seen in the Krakoan era, but was references in the Sins of Sinister crossover on a datapage.

Living Diamond / Jack Winters was last seen in X-Men Legends #2, a series published recently but set during the early days of the X-Men. He hasn't been seen or mentioned since.
    It would be awesome if all of these were the upcoming “NEW X-MEN”
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

All-New Member

Unsolicited and maybe unwanted opinion: The whole resurrection angle has damaged the modern day X books. Anyone can gleefully give their life to any cause, knowing that they are certain to be reborn anyway. Without the fear of death - or for that matter - the suspense of TRUE death, X books are a waste of time. In fact, based on my (Albeit limited) experiences with these X-titles, writers lean far too heavily into the death angle, knowing the character can be resurrected anyway. It is too easy an "out" in a storytelling genre that already relies too much on killing off characters for effect anyway. I say, burden your editors and writers with these tough choices rather than allow them to freely kill off whomever in order to 'cheat' a story into a false sense of effectiveness. It has now also bled into the full Marvel continuity, with Captain America recently, and the upcoming Ms Marvel resurrection (That we ALL saw coming). My opinion? Resurrect whoever you need to now, Marvel, then do away with this suspense-killing plot device.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco Jones View Post
    Unsolicited and maybe unwanted opinion: The whole resurrection angle has damaged the modern day X books. Anyone can gleefully give their life to any cause, knowing that they are certain to be reborn anyway. Without the fear of death - or for that matter - the suspense of TRUE death, X books are a waste of time. In fact, based on my (Albeit limited) experiences with these X-titles, writers lean far too heavily into the death angle, knowing the character can be resurrected anyway. It is too easy an "out" in a storytelling genre that already relies too much on killing off characters for effect anyway. I say, burden your editors and writers with these tough choices rather than allow them to freely kill off whomever in order to 'cheat' a story into a false sense of effectiveness. It has now also bled into the full Marvel continuity, with Captain America recently, and the upcoming Ms Marvel resurrection (That we ALL saw coming). My opinion? Resurrect whoever you need to now, Marvel, then do away with this suspense-killing plot device.
    I think eventually they'll have to get rid of it. I suspect that's why "The Five" responsible for resurrection aren't X characters that we'd really miss if they all got killed off. If done well, it could create some suspense and drama, e.g. "These villains have killed us countless times, now we have to beat them with everything at stake but if we die its permanent. How can we possibly succeed?"
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I think eventually they'll have to get rid of it. I suspect that's why "The Five" responsible for resurrection aren't X characters that we'd really miss if they all got killed off. If done well, it could create some suspense and drama, e.g. "These villains have killed us countless times, now we have to beat them with everything at stake but if we die its permanent. How can we possibly succeed?"
    The problem is that the whole concept of the Resurrection Protocol is an example of a genie that can't be simply put back in the bottle anymore.

The entire concept itself is not really impressive or new to super hero comics.

People had been brought back from the dead via replicated bodies in the past allready, same goes for transfering memories into a new body, or using mythological or magical powers to pull a soul from the afterlife or unlife and putting it back into the old or a new body.

So there is nothing revolutionary involved in the Resurrection Protocol. Infact it's actualy needlessly convulted since it requires a full blown reality warper, but not in the most important part, which any second hand telepath can seemingly fullfill.

However what Hickman did was to establish an in universe machine that trivializes the process and make the characters disregard death as an inconvinience because of it. Essentialy breaking with one of the unwritten guidelines of the super hero genre.

That while the reader might know that death of named characters is seldomly permanent, the characters shouldn't be depicted as relying on this narrative tool or beginn to disregard the danger of death as being potential permanent. Hence why it's still supposed to be impactfull for the characters even if it's not for the eldritch gods that are the readers and writers.

But now mass revival of dead characters via a combination of powers and usage of Cerebro has been established and relied on by characters, to the point where the heros were running around for 4 years with a casual disregard for death as if they were COD players.

So how does one remove this from the playing field again and make it so following writers won't just pull it out of the bag again at any time they want?

They would need to establish something so fundamentaly wrong with the whole process that it's removed from the common aviability of the characters for good.

But that would not only risk of feeling weirdly out of nowhere (after 4 years of everyone saying how "good" and "perfect" it is), but also make the heros look worse for having ever relied on it or disregarded the problems it could have.
    Last edited by Grunty; 07-23-2023 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco Jones View Post
    To me, that's the genius of it.

Death was already meaningless. Every death was met with a round of shrugs, cries of "cheap gimmick", "they'll be back soon", etc. The suspense was already gone.

So, how do you stop the cheap trick of a stunt death from being used? You take it off the table. Thus, resurrection.

Ultimate Member

To me, that's the genius of it.

Death was already meaningless. Every death was met with a round of shrugs, cries of "cheap gimmick", "they'll be back soon", etc. The suspense was already gone.

So, how do you stop the cheap trick of a stunt death from being used? You take it off the table. Thus, resurrection.
    Exactly. Pre-'the Five,' already sources like Shiar tech, Legion, Selene, Apocalypse and Sinister had *by themselves* done resurrections, and other mutants like Jaime Braddock and Layla Miller demonstrably also don't need 'the Five' to resurrect people all by themselves. (Plus all the time travellers/manipulators like Tempo, Kiden Nixon, Tempus, Lacuna, Sway, Timeslip, etc.) Even the friggin' Strucker twins got resurrected pre-Five, by Hydra tech, and I'm pretty sure Gorgon also had access to that back in the day.

The Five, if anything, complicate and slow down the process, if at least codifying it and not having every single resurrection require a new excuse for how Logon, or Scott, or Kurt, or Jean, or Charles, or Warren, is back *this time.* One process, easy shorthand for something that was already happening, and pretty much taken for granted. (I remember how Theresa laughed and laughed when her friends so carefully told her that her dad was dead. "He'll be back." And she seemed insane and in denial to her friends, but *she was right.*)

If Sinister's loser flunkies like Hairbag and Gorgeous George, or Apocalypse's ridiculous Inhuman (not even mutant!) Dark Riders like Foxbat and Barrage, can get killed off and then restored from backup yet again, then surely any X-Man worth a thin dime is going to come back sooner or later.

I still want to see the Brood Mutants and Paradigm ressurected.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I still want to see the Brood Mutants and Paradigm ressurected.
    Paradigm remains at the top of my wishlist. There are so many reasons he could be a really interesting pull:

1) He was last seen being utilized by a villain as a glorified bodyguard for his vault, against Paradigm's will, and Cyclops had to kill him to gain access, at which he apologized to Paradigm for failing him and mutants like him, feeling guilty that he couldn't do more for him. Thus its built in for him to be someone Cyclops would prioritize resurrecting as he stood out in Scott's mind as someone the X-Men failed.

2) He's a known quantity while simultaneously a blank slate.....the Paradigm shown in previous comics was the end result of scientists capturing and experimenting him as a kid in Hong Kong, infected with the techno-organic virus against his will to see how it interacted with a technopathic mutant. We've never had a chance to MEET the 'real' Paradigm, without the Phalanx's influence on him and who he became, whereas he'd be resurrected in a fully flesh and blood body, free of the T-O virus for the first time since he was a teenager.....and freeing up writers to write him any way they want, regardless of his prior characterizations.

3) He'd be a 'reformed villain' or example of a mutant who benefits from amnesty....WITHOUT having to spotlight the redemption of a villainous mutant character who's done horrible things that are now handwaved as inconsequential. Yes, he was a villain previously, but more a pawn than anything else, as he never had a chance to act fully of his own free will. Essentially, he's the perfect candidate to showcase how mutant amnesty was IDEALLY supposed to work, with him being a textbook example of the kind of exploited mutant whose crimes were due to a lack of options or autonomy or heavily influenced by persecution, aka exactly whom mutant amnesty was most intended to protect or give a second chance to.

4) His whole deal is he was infected with the T-O virus as a kid so that scientists could see how it interacted with him.....but that goes both ways. In an era that prioritizes the Phalanx and machine intelligences as the biggest longterm threat to mutant kind, Paradigm is potentially THE expert on how the Phalanx might evolve to assimilate, counter, or work-around the threat created by some of mutantkind's potentially biggest weapons against them.....mutants with the power to control technology. By inverting every conclusion ever drawn about the T-O virus's effect on Paradigm and centering his own experiences being infected and everything he learned about it and the Phalanx while assimilated.....he potentially has tons of insight into how mutants like him could fight the Phalanx or defend against them.