Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Which Marvel villain could pull off the similar standalone film that “Joker” has

I’m talking in broad strokes here, I don’t mean an exact identical story to the Joker film (I have yet to see it)...I mean more interested in seeing a complex, human, different take on a villains uprising. Who could pull it off?

Number one for me would be The Kingpin.

please please please get willem dafoe back for OSBORN

Extraordinary Member

Doctor Doom is Marvel's Joker. He is a larger-than-life character like the Joker who has a very complicated relationship to/obsession with his arch-nemesis, doesn't want his face to be seen, dresses ridiculously and hams it up all the time, but may have a more complicated inner life (or maybe that's just what he wants us to think, to get us to let our guard down). Marvel has been doing stories with Doom as the star since the days when Stan Lee was editing, and he'd surely be first choice for a villain-centric movie, especially because Magneto has kind of been done to death in the movies while Doom hasn't.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snoop dogg View Post
    please please please get willem dafoe back for osborn
    out, am i?

Boisterously Confused

If you really want to condemn evil, The Red Skull is a candidate. Of course, the film would probably become a cinematic The Turner Diaries, and probably shouldn't be done.

Mister Hyde is another I could see. Obsessive ambition pushed to its logical extremes by a brilliant, amoral scientist.

An oddball choice might be MODOK. A villain made by others, and the ascension of a life-long mediocrity to power as a result of those trying to use him.

Ultimately tho, to me, this is all moot. As I said on another thread, making protagonists of villains is probably a bad idea, no matter how well done.

Mighty Member

It's been said, but the obvious choice is Doom. He has a great backstory. Being hated by the people around him, trying to save his mothers soul, growing to be a ruler, a genius, a master sorcerer, but because his innocence is forever tied to the worst experiences in his life he no longer places any value in that or values of morality that are not his own. They did him no good. Only once he became cold and vicious did he manage to become great, to become great, he became Doom. It could be like Nightcrawler, the movie, a success story that leaves you sad in the end.

I'd like to see Taskmaster too, but that would only be dramatic movie if they went with the mini-series where he's forgetting things all the time. I personally would rather see him train a team of losers at a villain school.

Extraordinary Member

Eye scream hands down!

Yeah dr doom and magneto come to mind. Sandman also as he is both good and bad at times.

Doom is the obvious choice.

But I think a lot of the street level guys really could shine in that sort of enviroment. The Net Flixs shows for example really did a great job with characters like Kingpin and Killgrave. I'd be happy to watch more of either of them.

Magneto would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Doom is the obvious choice.
    Yes, it is.

Kingpin was done so well in "Daredevil" that I don't feel a need to see that.

I know the Mandarin is coming in "Shang-Chi" so we'll see how they plan to do that, but as challenging as it would be, if done well a film about him would be epic. Same with Kang, the Conqueror.

Breaking the rules a bit, but a buddy movie about The Leader and The Abomination could be a lot of fun.

BANNED

Doom it is. You can do a trilogy (and more) with Doom.

Dr. Doom I : Books of Doom, FF Annual #2, showing how Doom goes from ragtag guerrilla to university student to dropout to revolutionary and then Dictator. Noah Hawley wanted to make a Doom movie after all.

Dr. Doom II: Triumph and Torment.

Dr. Doom III: Secret Wars I and II mash-up, or alternatively stuff like Doom 2099.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Magneto would be my choice.
    that would be a longshot I think. Disney doesn't seem to be too anxious to jump into the X-Men yet and Fox pretty much covered his origin already.

BTW, I'm just throwing this out there because I think it's way cool. A fan redid one of the Joker's trailers and substituted Jimmie Durante's "Smile" with Queen's "I'm Going Slightly Mad". He did a great job of synching it up

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-03-2019 at 06:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    that would be a longshot I think. Disney doesn't seem to be too anxious to jump into the X-Men yet and Fox pretty much covered his origin already.
    A Magneto movie was in development at Fox and it ended up becoming X-Men First Class. Feige said that were he to do X-Men, he would not want to repeat stuff covered in the Fox films.

That being said there's stuff with Magneto you can cover, like House of M and for that matter Cullen Bunn's MAGNETO series which was great. It entirely depends on what actor they get for Magneto, whether whoever they cast can carry a movie. My advice would be to get Fassbender back. He's a good pick and good fit, he's young looking so he can believably be a 50-70 year old dude in white hair.

As for Doom. If you want him in a feature length movie he has to be played by an actor of real size. Someone like DiCaprio or Driver. Or they can do Doom as a Disney+ series the way they are going with Loki.

Typhoid Mary