Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default The Rise and Fall of ESPN

As a kid growing up in the late 1980s and 1990s , I would start to watch ESPN before school and work (as well as after school). I would flip it on the classic Sportscenter and watch Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann. 2 of the coolest guys on the planet who had such a chemistry , they made talking about sports FUN.

Whenever people discuss talk ESPN anchors ...these 2 are HIGHLY discussed with Chris Berman , Stuart Scott and a few others then. Usually a lot of people would try to do what Olbermann did as he transitioned from sports anchor to serious TV personality who had shows on MSNBC and other networks.

ESPN was launched in 1979 cable wise. It was a 1st as sports now had a sports themed channel. At the start the company struggled to get programming and would lean on a unique bit of TV programming. But it built the audience of what ESPN would be in the 1980s.

- USFL Football.
    - The NFL Draft (which has became its key event)
    - AWA Pro Wrestling
    - World Class Championship Wrestling
    - Global Wrestling Federation

ESPN would slowly gain more legit sports programming and branch away from the pro wrestling. But then it really helped build the network. The same process was Turner's "TBS" that grew with pro wrestling then.

The 1990s is considered the glory years of ESPN. Where the show hit good with great anchors , expanding into Extreme Sports at times and locking down the NFL Sunday Night package. Plus baseball as well. ESPN was growing more.....and more. But then in 1990s events would happen.

The real dominos began to fall in the mid 1980s. ESPN was struggling to get sports programming and needed a main network for bidding rights. So the company was sold to ABC in 1984. A year later ABC was swallowed by Capitol Cities Communications in a buyout. Now ABC/ESPN were now under it for the next decade.

In 1996 ESPN would seal its end if its glory days as Walt Disney acquired Capitol Cities. Disney at this point would do the wrong things...they basically stuck themselves into running ABC and ESPN. In record time turning both (in ESPN's case it took 2 decades of crumbling) into f'n dust.

ESPN went from cool sports anchors like Olbermann and Patrick to hiring complete ego maniacs who would care more about the sounds of their own voice (Stephen A Smith). The network loaded up on these guys and would have shows geared around "shouting and arguing" sports points. They would hire one female anchor who has decided to bring up someone having a drunk driving case 13 years before he was set to interview for a NBA coaching job. (yes this idiot personally decided to drag someones character over a DUI he had 13 years ago)

The time passed as people started to drift away from a sports network. The internet made ESPN could have a secondary source for people and subscribers began falling. Walt Disney itself suffered cut backs over the years for a declining ESPN. With layoffs hitting at different points and many long time sports anchors being fired.

ESPN has now had Disney decide to cut costs further and a new wave of budget cuts. 3 big names were fired recently after years on the network...Max Kellerman , Jalen Rose and Keyshawn Johnson.

Its been a slow , long fall for ESPN and for us who grew up way back then....its kinda sad to watch the sports channel slowly crumble into dust.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 07-01-2023 at 08:58 PM.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Yeah, the slide at ESPN has been huge and unmistakable. These days, the only time I tune in the network when there's actual games on, the rest of the time, I just can't be bothered. All the yammering heads wasting airtime are irritating on steroids, especially Stephen A. Smith, or, as I call him, Screamin' A. Smith who got his start here in Philly, but has since devolved into THE biggest asswipe, asshat and assclown in sports today. It's a damn shame how ESPN has just gone to hell, and those salad days you and I enjoyed will never return.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't know, I still enjoy PTI and Around the Horn
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Since I got NFL Network, ii rarely ever watch ESPN unless I'm watching one of the Grand Slams in tennis or a college football game.

Jeff Van Gundy being fired is a terrible move, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't know, I still enjoy PTI and Around the Horn
    All things considered, I did too. Along with Highly Questionable, before Le Batard left the show

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-24-2023 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

My high school years, I enjoyed listening/watching Mike and Mike in the morning. I stuck with them even into adulthood listening to them before work.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

All of Cable is losing viewership. And like WPP I almost only watch for a game, or if there is big sports news like a draft or big trade.
    But a mea culpa, I listen to Sports Radio, mostly ESPN most days.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Haven't really watched ESPN in over a decade. It just wasn't fun anymore. Its been going downhill way back since Disney purchased it.

But the thing that I mourn the most, related to the name, is the ESPN Zone. The last one closed down in 2018. It was a great place to grab a beer, watch a game and hang out with friends.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Mostly just from my perspective, and this isnt just ESPN its Fox as well. The incessant blabber on those talk shows about the NFL and NBA all day everyday 24/7 is beyond my understanding how anyone can watch that day after day. Those talk shows or whatever you want to call them cover two leagues that's it. They are not sports shows they dont cover sports. They cover two sports.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Mostly just from my perspective, and this isnt just ESPN its Fox as well. The incessant blabber on those talk shows about the NFL and NBA all day everyday 24/7 is beyond my understanding how anyone can watch that day after day. Those talk shows or whatever you want to call them cover two leagues that's it. They are not sports shows they dont cover sports. They cover two sports.
    This is very true. I watch The Carton Show and Cowherd and all they talk about is NBA and right now just a little NFL. They never really talk baseball. Carton openly mocks the NHL. It is very boring to listen to Lakers talk for 3 hours a day.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I was an ESPN junkie. It was on my TV from 6AM until noon or so, just on SC reruns, in case I missed something. Then they got into the Screaming shows, then my love for ESPN waned...Now I watch every so often and don't remember the last time I watched SC even with SVP(Who is their saving grace). I liked PTI and ATH but again, Got tired of the, in your face, type of shows.
    I only really watch ESPN for MNF (And then I watch the Manning cast) and NBA and some college sports. I, almost never, watch anything that is not a live sporting event on there anymore...I know things change and don't want to come off like a man yelling at the cloud, but besides Live sports, ESPN sucks...

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I just wonder how ironclad the contract is for McAfee and his boys or will he have to cut one or two of them in a year or two to save money.

The issues ESPN is having retaining viewership and growing it aren't exactly going away.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Fantastic Member

Supporting everyone who said they were turned off by the screaming shows. I'm exactly that way. Plus, who needs SportsCenter when ESPN.com can tell me who won and any highlight I care to see is on youtube? What was it, about 10 years ago, ESPN was Disney's cash cow? Hard to believe how quickly it fell.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

People questioned why Max Kellerman was fired. Well...this past week it was answered. Stephen A Smith revealed he didn't like Kellerman. So after Max showed him up on 1st Take he got angry and later had him demoted. Then had him fired by ESPN.

Kellerman's old radio partner Marcolius (spelling) came out for Kellerman. Saying Stephen A wanted a dumb white guy to essentially buff his ego up. But Stephen A. Learned a lesson. Max is very smart and very good. He's smarter than an egomaniac and didn't take his role that Stephen so desperately wanted him

As Wiley details Stephen would threaten his job and Kellerman was just doing his job to get paid. That Max has a great contract til summer 2024 and he's not gonna risk it by firing back now on Stephen A. Smith.

But a big reason egomaniac Stephen Smith was mad was ...this exchange. Terrell Owens was on 1st Take and well... let's say Stephen nearly flipped out at what T.O. told him

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.