Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I like that they are having her backslide as well because in most abusive relationships that's what occurs. Even though it's a comedy series, its accurately highlighting what real people go through during breakups and how they go through multiple emotions and how someone can take one step forward then two steps back. IMO that showcases good story direction and writing.
    It's part of Harley's character to backslide, although it probably won't stick near as much as it used to.

I'm honestly surprised she didn't try and kill Joker after what he did to her.

Incredible Member

I agree. Especially a person who was in an abusive relationship for a LONG time- honestly, in domestic violence situations, most victims go back to their abusers constantly and Harley was created to be a classic example of that.

The longer the relationship lasts, the more impressive it is if a person ever permanently extricates themselves from that, tbh. So I like that they're treating it that way. I would not find it unrealistic if she continues to have moments of backsliding, even.

What's also interesting about this dynamic is how maniacal the Joker is in totally switched gears - he had been so withholding for so long that he knew he could keep Harley on his leash by doling out the kind of affirmations and validation that she had been craving for so long. If Batman hadn't come along requiring Joker to drop the pretense for his benefit, who knows how long he would have been able to string her along this time?

I feel like the writers did enough homework on this that one could write a paper about this show and the toxic dynamic shown between J and HQ. (I won't even get into what the latest ep showed us about Harley's parents... yeesh)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-03-2020 at 09:22 PM.

All-New Member

Default The Harley Quinn Animated Show(Possible Spoilers Inside)

First, I just want to say that I genuinely love the show as a whole. I mean, its everything I like about the Venture Brothers but cast with DC Characters, how could I not?

One thing that struck me odd though was what happened with Poison Ivy in that most recent episode. the way she grew into a Giant.
    It wasn't odd to me that she did it, so much as it was odd to me that she couldn't before.

YES, I understand that she was only able to do it because of what Scarecrow did with her Pheromones, but it seems like a power she should have always had is what I'm saying.
    She transforms plants into giant mutant tentacles ALL THE TIME. her powers seem to be not only controlling plants, but also changing them at a genetic level and forcing rapid growth upon them. that said, her body it supposed to be a human plant hybrid, so shouldn't she be able to do the same to herself?
    Shouldn't she be able to grow huge at will, or even edit her self further by like giving herself fines for fingers, covering herself in poison thorns, or even protecting herself in a thick bark shell over her skin if she so desired?

In the grand scheme of things, I think her biggest downfall up until now is writers not realizing how much potential this character actually has to be pretty insanely powerful.

I personally hope that she gets to keep this new growth power, and writers get more creative and think more out of the box with her rather than just making her seduce and poison people all the time.

Well, if you want to get into some pseudo-sciencey comic book explanation, the easy way out is what you said: she's a hybrid. One could easily say that her human part prevents her from doing things like that to herself.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Well, if you want to get into some pseudo-sciencey comic book explanation, the easy way out is what you said: she's a hybrid. One could easily say that her human part prevents her from doing things like that to herself.
    I get that, but i'm thinking, maybe they should let her have those powers. She's always been a great character(especially with Harley Quinn as her BFF), but her powers have always been kinda underwhelming. She's allways been the "seductress killer", but never did much more than a KGB femme fatale armed with poison lipstick...

Kite-Man saves the day! (Hell yeah) I loved the bit where he's out of breath because "Kite-Man doesn't do a lot of running."

The JL shows up and demonstrates how they really are a class above Harley and her crew. ( I would say, "Except Ivy" but as Ivy has stated, she's not in her crew...) And I could buy that it would take someone like Queen of Fables to get them off the table.

I can't believe I was surprised to see the Joker Tower bust out of the ground -- of course he was going to make it anyway...

Astonishing Member

She's also the one of the most sane ones on the show. So in that sense, you can't have her become too insanely powerful otherwise she would solve all of Harley's problems for her.

Quote Originally Posted by BatPerson View Post
    I get that, but i'm thinking, maybe they should let her have those powers. She's always been a great character(especially with Harley Quinn as her BFF), but her powers have always been kinda underwhelming. She's allways been the "seductress killer", but never did much more than a KGB femme fatale armed with poison lipstick...
    I'm sure most of that is because she's traditionally been a Batman villain and those tend to be of a lower power set. Her plant abilities have been amped up over the years, making her extremely powerful, but personally I don't need to see her become another Groot/Swamp Thing type of plant person - there's a danger of her becoming too dehumanized and veer into monster territory like Clayface and Killer Croc, who both started out much more human. I'm sure that's partly why she's been walked back from that very plant-like appearance after "Identity Crisis."

The JL shows up and demonstrates how they really are a class above Harley and her crew. ( I would say, "Except Ivy" but as Ivy has stated, she's not in her crew...) And I could buy that it would take someone like Queen of Fables to get them off the table.
    They really jumped the gun on imprisoning them in the Phantom Zone though.
    I can't believe I was surprised to see the Joker Tower bust out of the ground -- of course he was going to make it anyway...
    I'm surprised Joker completely took the Legion off the board. Lex had his own plans for the pollen and Joker completely hijacked it, but I knew he was always going to be the Final Boss.

All-New Member

I'm sure most of that is because she's traditionally been a Batman villain and those tend to be of a lower power set. Her plant abilities have been amped up over the years, making her extremely powerful, but personally I don't need to see her become another Groot/Swamp Thing type of plant person - there's a danger of her becoming too dehumanized and veer into monster territory like Clayface and Killer Croc, who both started out much more human. I'm sure that's partly why she's been walked back from that very plant-like appearance after "Identity Crisis."
    Clayface, yeah, he was made a monster for a while, so was Solomon Grundy. Killer Crock is debatable if he was ever anything resembling human(personality wise), physically, they made him bigger and more menacing, but Croc always lived outside of society, and it was always heavily implied that he literally eats people.

Poison Ivy struggling to retain her humanity doesn't sound like a horrible story line actually. I mean, she doesn't like people anyway, and always preferred the company of plants over humans(until Harley), so it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

BUT, I do see what you're saying. Red's job in this story seems to be the "Straight man", the calm voice of sanity and logic that say "That idea is stupid, you will die."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They really jumped the gun on imprisoning them in the Phantom Zone though.
    I honestly assumed them wanted to use such a sever punishment was a reference to that whole "Glass Ceiling for female villains" thing they talked about before.
    Joker kills over 600 people, "off to Arkham for you, buddy"
    Queen of fables takes over the city, and Trapped in a book indefinitely.
    Last edited by BatPerson; 02-21-2020 at 05:56 AM.

I honestly assumed them wanted to use such a sever punishment was a reference to that whole "Glass Ceiling for female villains" thing they talked about before.
    Interesting. Hadn't thought of it that way. Explains why Ivy was so desperate to prove her innocence that she figured out in time that grabbing the Lasso of Truth was the solution. It's poetic then that the Queen of Fables gave the JL a taste of their own medicine.

I honestly assumed the reason the League did that was not because of some preconceived glass ceiling but because of how dangerous Fables was, so they felt like that was the only way they could contain her. At least that was the case in the comics.

I have a hard time buying a group with Wonder Woman on it partaking in sexist practices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Interesting. Hadn't thought of it that way. Explains why Ivy was so desperate to prove her innocence that she figured out in time that grabbing the Lasso of Truth was the solution. It's poetic then that the Queen of Fables gave the JL a taste of their own medicine.
    Not nearly as poetic as Fables getting her head knocked off.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Fables is full of ****. She got a that harsh punishment for being a mass murder. She even admitted to Harley that she exaggerated how things went down to "add favor". Whenever Harley gets arrested for her crimes she's always sent to Arkham.

Incredible Member

Apparently season 2 is coming in April, hope its true!

https://news.avclub.com/dc-universes...cussion-region