Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    They have an "Out" there.
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    You are contradicting yourself. If Arthur is not Penny's biological child, why would these issue be carried to him? It's obvious that his mental issue was caused by the abuse when he was a baby.
    Because she raised him, and her disconnect from reality shaped his childhood and thus how he copes with the world. Mom beats him one day and refuses to acknowledge the beating ever happened the next. Compounded with brain damage from the abuse and possible latent mental health issues of his own, and his own mental health follows the trail set down by his mother in some ways. Nurture and nature both play a role in how we develop, including our mental illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    Because she raised him, and her disconnect from reality shaped his childhood and thus how he copes with the world. Mom beats him one day and refuses to acknowledge the beating ever happened the next. Compounded with brain damage from the abuse and possible latent mental health issues of his own, and his own mental health follows the trail set down by his mother in some ways. Nurture and nature both play a role in how we develop, including our mental illnesses.
    Her disconnected reality is not going to make him the same person like her, it's going to simply make him miserable and hate the world. If she is so disconnected, there is no way she would even get the custody back.

That's not the case, Arthur do imagine good things happens to him, but he remembers those who hurts him really well and was willing to take revenge on them. It wasn't the case on Penny before he read those files. Nothing made flashback to him as well showed Penny didn't beat him.

We now have box office estimates for Joker's opening weekend.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4552&p=.htm

Joker has delivered the largest October opening on record with an estimated $93.5 million. This handily beats Venom's $80.25 million from last year, which should continue to be the case once actuals are posted tomorrow afternoon.

Interestingly, Joker also comes close to Justice League's opening of $93.8 million. Wouldn't it be something if Joker ticks up a bit when actuals are known and actually beats JL?

Could Joker's final box office beat Justice League's $229 million domestic and $658 worldwide? I don't know about that. I guess it'll all depend on how well it holds in coming weeks, and if there is a box office resurgence once awards season begins. It might be out of theaters by then, but I would bet on a re-release if the nominations start piling up.

Still, I think Joker might have a shot at beating JL's domestic haul, but I just can't believe it can top JL worldwide at the moment.

In any event, given how much more cheaply Joker was made than JL, I'd bet Warners is quite happy right about now.

It really does show how the audience isn't really listening to critics here. Shazam had glowing reviews, but did much less at the box office, while Joker started with great reviews, but has since become more polarizing yet the audience still turned up. I'm thinking the month of great reviews already had people amped up to see the movie and subsequent mixed reviews couldn't dampen that. We'll see how good the word of mouth is from the mass audience that saw the movie over this weekend. That'll go a long way to giving Joker a great second weekend.

While I like Joker, I think DC should still keep the approach on DCEU at the same time.

Wow, people really overhyped this. I kept hearing things like Oscar and the best movie ever. And why were people freaked out about this movie? This shouldn't have been controversial at all!

The movie is good. Really solid performances. There's a nice twist. I think if you just come in very open-minded it's a great character piece. Certainly an interesting little rabbit hole the film takes us through.

The audience can kind of emphasize with Arthur for the first quarter or third of the film then things change.

It's very interesting how different this interpretation is from the other more popular Joker's. Didn't feel like Jack's or Heath's or even's Hammil's in the way he carried himself or went about things. Certainly felt more real/grounded than other incarnations.

Hard for me to imagine this guy ever truly taking on Batman even 20 years from now, unless its a lesser more grounded version of Batman. Someone not as ridiculously equipped or adapt as the other Batman versions we've seen thus far.
    Last edited by Jabare; 10-06-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    The J-man

BANNED

Solid film.

I think people are overestimating the plot. We are explicitly meant to doubt the narrator. Make of that what you will, but the “story” is rather simple regardless (does Arthur killing or not killing Beetz’s character make or break the movie for you?).

The acting is superior on Joaquin’s part, and...minimal on the supporting cast’s (Frances Conroy was chosen for a reason).
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 10-06-2019 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    What do you mean?
    A while ago, I saw this documentary on a songwriter called Townes Van Zandt. During the documentary, there is a sidebar about his claim that he didn't really remember all of his childhood. I turns out that his family had put him into a sanitarium when he was younger. During that time they had used electroshock therapy. Someone in the film pointed out that some instances of Electroshock will wipe out memories.

A while later, I looked it up. Seems like it can/does.

If Arthur had any electroshock(during his commitment), it could probably have wiped out those memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Solid film.

I think people are overestimating the plot. We are explicitly meant to doubt the narrator. Make of that what you will, but the “story” is rather simple regardless (does Arthur killing or not killing Beetz’s character make or break the movie for you?).

The acting is superior on Joaquin’s part, and...minimal on the supporting cast’s (Frances Conroy was chosen for a reason).

One guy's take...

They don't say one way or the other so that the viewer won't telegraph what will happen when Randall/Gary visit Arthur later.

Astonishing Member

Looked like some art festival circle-jerk film that they decided make into a Batman movie at the last minute.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It’s really interesting seeing this in a super hero film genre that is liable to become increasingly specific in regards to what Disney and Marvel Studios will allow. We’re not likely to get a Doctor Doom film as dark and reflective as Joker is, even if the MCU delivers the most accurate and well written Doom to date. But I think this movie might finally encourage Warner to stop listening to the nontroversy and consider doing standalone movies out of continuity in the future, especially for Batman villains. I know I would love to see something similar with Freeze, Dent or Crane especially.

I think Warner generated the controversy itself to boost ticket sales
    The J-man

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This was a great film and they really did a good job introducing Bruce Wayne and doing his origin as well as we saw. I also liked the ending how they left Joker alive and him in Arkham being his usual self.

I really hope WB convinces Phoenix to return to the role in future Batman films. Erase the Leto Joker...this is the one who we wanna see from now on.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Incredible Member

Garry the dwarf.... he's a nod to gaggy the dwarf who used to be Mr j's sidekick, right???

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I think Warner generated the controversy itself to boost ticket sales
    that would be my thinking. you tell a certain segment of the population that they can't have something or shouldn't watch something and it skyrockets in popularity.

personally, i see this as the death of the superhero film. and i think that was the aim. i don't know if it's a good or a bad thing. but this movie was made as a counter to stuff like the Avengers. this version of the Joker won't be a part of any future Batman films. and that will eventually hurt DC.