Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Incredible Member

British tabloids are having a field day because one of the songs the joker dances to is written and sung by British celebrity peadophile, Gary gliter......

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I think Warner generated the controversy itself to boost ticket sales
    WB is also buying out movie theaters to boost Joker’s sales. I know this, because my theater was nearly empty at 2:30 in the afternoon on a nice Saturday.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I think Warner generated the controversy itself to boost ticket sales
    On purpose or not, nonetheless, I found the social commentary I came across analyzing the film to be rather interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_...ial_commentary

"Vejvoda, Hammond, and The Guardian's Christina Newland interpreted the film as a cautionary tale—society's ignorance of those who are less fortunate will create a person like the Joker."

"Stephen Kent, writing for The Washington Examiner, described Arthur Fleck as blending shared aspects of mass shooters, and interpreted its message as a reminder that society is riddled with men like the Joker."

"Writing in People's World, Chauncey K. Robinson said the film "walks a fine line between exploration and validation" of Joker's character and is "ultimately an in-your-face examination of a broken system that creates its own monsters."

"Richard Lawson of Vanity Fair found the film was too sympathetic towards "white men who commit heinous crimes" and that the social-politics ideologies represented in the film are "evils that are far more easily identifiable" to people "who shoot up schools and concerts and churches, who gun down the women and men they covet and envy, who let loose some spirit of anarchic animus upon the world—there's almost a woebegone mythos placed on them in the search for answers."

"Jim Geraghty of National Review wrote he was "worried that a certain segment of America's angry, paranoid, emotionally unstable young men will watch Joaquin Phoenix descending into madness and a desire to get back at society by hurting as many people as possible and exclaim, 'finally, somebody understands me!'"

OK, actual box office numbers for Joker's first weekend are in. They're even BETTER than the estimates.

Joker has made $96.2 million domestically and $152.2 million foreign for a worldwide total of $248.4 million.

So, Joker did indeed beat Justice League's domestic total of $93.8 million.

Joker handily beat Venom's $80.3 domestic debut, and it will probably beat its domestic total of $213.5 million.

But can Joker really top Venom's global total of $856 million? It's almost 30% of the way there already, but it really seems so out of reach to me.

What are your guesses for Joker's total worldwide box office?

I'm gonna say between $600-650 million.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

A rumor site is already reporting WB wants Phoenix back as Joker now. Whether he's now the new mainstream DCU Joker who will appear later in a Batman movie , who knows. But its a rumor WB saw how good the film did and how good the performance was. (be awesome if Phoenix appears at end of the 2021 Batman film in a laughing scene) .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    British tabloids are having a field day because one of the songs the joker dances to is written and sung by British celebrity peadophile, Gary gliter......
    I had no idea that was a Gary Glitter song (I hardly even know who Gary Glitter is or was). To me it's what they play at all the Canucks games to pump up the crowd. Which is how I related to it in the movie. Arthur is getting himself pumped up for his performance later that day. I figure he'd be a hockey fan.

If the Battinson movie were set in the 1990s, it would kind of fit with JOKER. But I don't know about that.

However; I would like to see more period movies from DC. Maybe Superman in the 1950s.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Phoenix has recently expressed that he may be down for a sequel too. Sounds so unlike but while I think a one off is best, this is great too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I had no idea that was a Gary Glitter song (I hardly even know who Gary Glitter is or was). To me it's what they play at all the Canucks games to pump up the crowd. Which is how I related to it in the movie. Arthur is getting himself pumped up for his performance later that day. I figure he'd be a hockey fan.
    Rock and Roll Part 2. It is also sampled by The Timelords (The KLF) for their hit "Doctorin The Tardis." Most people change the lyrics so, instead of singing "Rock and Roll" during the chorus, you say "Doctor Who."

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    That alone is reason enough for me to seriously consider not seeing it. It would be one thing if this was some recent event most people in the United States hadn't heard about. But this guy has been convicted something like three times going back 20 years. I live in the US and I've been fully aware of it for at least a decade now. I really don't want to contribute to the royalty check of a pedophile.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    this version of the Joker won't be a part of any future Batman films. and that will eventually hurt DC.
    Why would that hurt DC? They'll just get someone else to play Joker for the next Batman film, I doubt people will be like "No Phoenix Joker? I'm out."

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    WB is also buying out movie theaters to boost Joker’s sales. I know this, because my theater was nearly empty at 2:30 in the afternoon on a nice Saturday.
    Why does one or two showings mean proof that WB is buying out movie theaters? That seems like...an unprofitable tactic to say the least, so I can't imagine them doing that?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why does one or two showings mean proof that WB is buying out movie theaters? That seems like...an unprofitable tactic to say the least, so I can't imagine them doing that?
    That part might have been a sarcastic reference to the theories that Disney was buying out theaters for Captain Marvel.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    That alone is reason enough for me to seriously consider not seeing it. It would be one thing if this was some recent event most people in the United States hadn't heard about. But this guy has been convicted something like three times going back 20 years. I live in the US and I've been fully aware of it for at least a decade now. I really don't want to contribute to the royalty check of a pedophile.
    It's just the same song that was sung during every baseball commercial and game for years. Very few people in the US know of Gary Glitter, less so of his crimes. Bit extreme to not see the movie off of that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If the Battinson movie were set in the 1990s, it would kind of fit with JOKER. But I don't know about that.

However; I would like to see more period movies from DC. Maybe Superman in the 1950s.
    i think they could tie into this movie by claiming that someone else was inspired by Arthur Fleck Joker to become the next one going forward. But I can't see that character resurfacing again in a Batfilm of any real type for a few years. Its an over used villain now.
    Period movies would be great with Golden Age characters, in my opinion. By doing that, you also bring characters most people do not already have preconceived ideas of character. Lesser known characters can hit very well, if done correctly. i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    It's just the same song that was sung during every baseball commercial and game for years. Very few people in the US know of Gary Glitter, less so of his crimes. Bit extreme to not see the movie off of that.
    Yup. Never heard of the man until this thread. Have heard the song before, though.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Rock and Roll Part 2. It is also sampled by The Timelords (The KLF) for their hit "Doctorin The Tardis." Most people change the lyrics so, instead of singing "Rock and Roll" during the chorus, you say "Doctor Who."
    Back in late 1990's , Sammy Hagar did a version of the song with his band. It became a minor hit then and actually they played it in stadiums to replace the Glitter version. (no idea if they still do)

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.