Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    I love it as a film. Not my Joker, but certainly Arthur was interesting character which Phoenix handled like a pro.

The strongest point of the film IMO is that it leaves things to your imagination or it gives you the freedom to choose what's true and what's not. For example, i feel that most of the story was a figment of Arthur's imagination and the whole story was delusions based on things that could or could not happen in his life. The narrative of the events gives you great hints about that, so it's up to you to choose what's going on.

One thing that people tend to not notice, is that the criticism is both on rich and poor alike. Rich people and famous stars tend to ignore or not understand the difficulties of ordinary men, while we saw ordinary guys being equally cruel to Arthur. In fact,the great joke of the movie was that Arthur killed 3 douchebags that happened to be rich guys,so the angry feelings or impoverished people found a "god sent avenger".If Arthur had the gun earlier, when the kids attacked him, he would kill them and he would be seen by ordinary people and media as a crazy child killer. Phoenix's character was a time ticking bomb, it's luck and timing that made him an icon.
    On that...

- During the discussion, Arthur points out that they were "Just kids..."

- During the scene on the train, he actually tries to diffuse what is happening while he is having a laughing fit. He only fires when his life is actually in danger.

While I guess he might have killed the kids, it felt like they were pointing away from that. Even later than that, he does not kill Gary in the apartment and even says that he was one of the only people who was ever good to him.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 10-05-2019 at 04:55 AM.