Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Fantastic Member

This was alright, with a little touch of over-hyped af

Fighting Injustice on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The next film WB plans....

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.

Standing Member

The second weekend drop was pretty good for JOKER. I can't help but wonder how much it would make if it could be released in China. Do you think WB should do a PG-13 cut of a HO HO JOKER for the Christmas season, so they can release it in China, like with ONCE UPON A DEADPOOL?
    celebrating 50 years of 4 beatles crossing a zebra

Mighty Member

Saw this movie over a week ago and haven't really written about it yet. But its had enough time to percolate in my mind, so here goes...

So there a meme that was going around comparing Nicholson and Phoenix's Jokers which basically went like this - 1989: Joker is dropped into a vat of acid. 2019: Joker is dropped into society.

Which I think sums up the film perfectly. Its not really a story about politics, or mental illness, or the media, or class warfare. Its really a story about how a wide range of factors in a dysfunctional society affect an already vulnerable mind, causing it to snap. You have your "multiple choice Joker origin" right here - childhood abuse? income inequality? media manipulation? What was it that really led to Arthur Fleck becoming the Joker? None of it? ALL of it?

People are trying hard to impute political motives to the film, but I think Todd Phillips didn't really have a 'message' with this film - beyond the fact that the world is full of cr#p, and it can turn ordinary people into monsters. Which is something we sadly see every single day, one way or another.

The cinematography and set design was simply gorgeous. The performances were brilliant. Joaquin Phoenix definitely deserves a Best Actor at the Oscars (and I doubt its an exaggeration to say that this movie should at least get a Best Picture nomination).

One thing which surprised me was just how much the wider Batman mythos left their mark on this film! Considering all the talk about this being a 'standalone' completely divorced from the DC Universe, this film was virtually a stealth Batman prequel - I mean, we literally had Thomas and Martha Wayne being gunned down at the end, and Bruce standing over their bodies! Incidentially, having them killed by someone inspired by the Joker was a nice nod to Burton's film.

The TV studio climax was brilliant and was also probably a nod to The Dark Knight Returns. In fact, I'd argue that Phillips' film has a lot in common with DKR...taking a comic-book concept and putting it into a grittier and more realitic setting, replete with all the socio-cultural and political implications that would follow from such a character existing in the 'real world'.

On the whole, as far as 'comic-book movies' go, its truly a masterpiece. I'd still rate Heath Ledger's performance as the best realization of the comic-book character known as the Joker on-screen...but Phoenix's Arthur Fleck is definitely the best realization of what a real "Joker" would be like.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The second weekend drop was pretty good for JOKER. I can't help but wonder how much it would make if it could be released in China. Do you think WB should do a PG-13 cut of a HO HO JOKER for the Christmas season, so they can release it in China, like with ONCE UPON A DEADPOOL?
    A stand up, talking host version maybe?

But Warner really sent in the money collecting clowns this year. Joker and It Chapter Two are making a billion clownbux between the two any day now, without any China help.

It was interesting, even good in some parts, but not great. Joaquin was great throughout, but the movie itself meandered for a bit, I felt.

Itís almost a shame that Joaquin didnít get the opportunity to be the Joker in an actual Batman movie ó that would have been something.

... severely depressing movie. performances from the main actors are well-acted, but sequences throughout the film are indefensible.
    I found the police representatives unusually inept, especially considering the apparent lead that Arthur had a gun at the children's ward.
    empty revolution rhetoric without taking responsibility for it. chaos for chaos' sake.

Mighty Member

My favorite scene was him watching the riots from the back of the police car after he was arrested for that shooting. Reminded me of that line from The Dark Knight " watch the world burn".