View Poll Results: How were the 2010s decade (2010-2019) for Clark?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • A = excellent

1 2.22%
  • B = satisfying

6 13.33%
  • C = average

16 35.56%
  • D = disappointing

17 37.78%
  • F = abysmal

5 11.11%
  • I = incomplete (haven't experienced enough to judge)

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default How do you view this past decade (2010-2019) for Clark?

Talking overall in general, across all media, with a slight emphasis on the main continuity comic book versions. Going from start of Jan 1st, 2010 thru end of Dec 31st, 2019.

How did the 2010s treat Supes?*

Btw, are we in common agreement that the Decade starts with the year ending in 0?

Or the technical role that, since there was no Year 0 AD/CE, the decade starts with the year ending in 1?

Also, is this past decade (2010s) really going to be called The Teens?

* - poll forthcoming

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

We got, IMO, several classic stories with Superman this era, so I think it's been great.

-Grant Morrison's AC run
    -Greg Pak's AC run
    -Peter Tomasi and Pat Gleason's SM Rebirthr run
    -Bendis's AC run is shaping up to be up there also

Lois Lane has gotten a big push as of late, which she deserves. We got introduced to a in continuity son, which for better a worse, put a new spin on these comics. We've had both Superman and Lois get to star in big events this year, with both doomsday clock and even leviathan.

And besides all that, I was able to actually get interested in comics so much because of the new 52 back in 2011 with Morrison's AC run, so I'm grateful for most of what DC has done this year and am excited to see how they handle the man of steel into the next decade.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed the new 52!! I always wanted to see SM and WW together as couple, I really enjoyed them being a couple!! It was to bad DC didn't keep them together!!

I don’t really feel hyperbolic in saying it was probably one of the worst decades he’s had.

Comics:
    -I really enjoyed Paul Cornell’s The Black Ring arc on Action Comics before the New 52. Showed why Lex is one of the GOAT characters not just villains. He’s interesting enough to hold his own ongoing, something no other villain besides Doom is capable of imo. Still disappointed that Cornell never got a chance to do a proper Superman run. Otherwise Superman was a mess pre-Flashpoint, New Krypton had completely collapsed on itself, ruining what could’ve been the GOAT Zod story.
    -New 52-wise I loved Morrison’s Action Comics run. It was basically the perfect update for Supes by giving him back some of his original characterization and fire. Pak’s run was also great when it wasn’t stuck in the endless crossovers, he made me really love Lana as a character. But Lobdell’s run and Yang’s run were weak, even though there were a few bright spots. Johns & Romita Jr.’s run set up some interesting ideas but of course Johns bailed AGAIN before properly developing them. Supes tended to be portrayed as a dumb brute in other books and the SM/WW relationship was not well done at all, in part because it felt like none of the writers actually wanted to write it.
    -Rebirth brought some much needed unity to the Superman books. I loved Jurgens Lois & Clark, Tomasi Superman Rebirth (vol. 5 aside), and Yang totally redeemed himself with New Superman. I hope the upcoming Superman vs. the Ku Klux Klan is another hit for Yang, I want him to write a Black Label Superman book where he won’t have to deal with editorial bull****.
    -Finally I’m enjoying the Bendis era on the Superbooks, and I’m loving the Lois and Jimmy Olsen stuff. We got some great non-mainline Superman stuff like Adventures of Superman, American Alien, or Superman Unchained by Snyder.

So comics wise we got some great stuff and a lot of failures, so how is this one of Supes worst decades? Because while I liked Superman’s comics his outside media presence this decade has been really bad.

TV:
    -Smallville angers everyone by copping out of showing Welling in the suit along with a pretty weak finale in general due to all the budget cuts.
    -Arrowverse Superman is a jobber (not too bothered by this one since it IS Kara’s show not his)
    -Things are turning around though with this upcoming Crisis thanks to Routh and Welling’s return. I’m excited for that but for the majority of the 2010s Superman’s showing on TV has been poor.

Cartoon/Animated Movies:
    -Superman Unbound came out and flopped and we went 5 years without another Superman movie until they redid his Death again. But I did like that and we finally got Reign even if it wasn’t perfect.
    -YJ Superman was a dick even if it was understandable and then they skipped over actually showing Kon and Clark bond which was a total cop out
    -Superman hasn’t gotten a solo cartoon since the 90s ffs that blows
    -Why can’t we get a Lego Superman movie?

Movies:
    -Yeah here it is, the big one. You know my feelings on these so I won’t repeat myself but safe to say I was not a fan of Snyder’s plan and while I’m glad that’s over I’m infuriated that Supes is back on ice for the foreseeable future. What should’ve been his triumphant reimagining turned into escaping by the hem of his cape from having his image destroyed even more thanks to the creative choices made by those in charge.

Video games:
    -No Superman video game, not even an attempt. His highest profile video game appearance is Injustice which delights in ******** all over him and shilling Batman. The LEGO games are fun though.

So yeah it’s been a pretty godawful decade for him all together. But there’s hope! We’ve got that upcoming Crisis crossover with THREE Supermen teaming up and the Internet going crazy shows that people still love Superman. We’ve got TWO animated movies coming out next year. I’m enjoying the Bendis era of comics especially thanks to stuff like Wonder Comics which features Supes in positive indirect ways like Dial H. Young Justice will have the Legion next season so I’m hoping Superman and the Superfamily will be at the center of that. And maybe JJ Abrams will be able to do what Snyder could not, assuming he does eventually try to make a Superman film. So the 2020s offer hope, or at least are off to a much more promising start than the 2010s.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-04-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

He's had three different reboots in ten years time. That's not a good sign. And that doesn't even get into things like TV shows and movies. Snyder makes a Batman movie with Superman in it and Supergirl makes him look like a chump every chance they get. The most human moment he ever had on the show was cut out and reduced to an extra on the DVD collection. His only video game appearance made him a villain. The most exciting thing happening, for me at least, is the return of Welling as Smallville Clark next year. Now they're talking about even replacing him in the movies with Supergirl because they can't get the actor who played him to come back. I just can't pretend to care anymore.
    Last edited by superduperman; 10-04-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t really feel hyperbolic in saying it was probably one of the worst decades he’s had.

Comics:
    -I really enjoyed Paul Cornell’s The Black Ring arc on Action Comics before the New 52. Showed why Lex is one of the GOAT characters not just villains. He’s interesting enough to hold his own ongoing, something no other villain besides Doom is capable of imo. Still disappointed that Cornell never got a chance to do a proper Superman run. Otherwise Superman was a mess pre-Flashpoint, New Krypton had completely collapsed on itself, ruining what could’ve been the GOAT Zod story.
    -New 52-wise I loved Morrison’s Action Comics run. It was basically the perfect update for Supes by giving him back some of his original characterization and fire. Pak’s run was also great when it wasn’t stuck in the endless crossovers, he made me really love Lana as a character. But Lobdell’s run and Yang’s run were weak, even though there were a few bright spots. Johns & Romita Jr.’s run set up some interesting ideas but of course Johns bailed AGAIN before properly developing them. Supes tended to be portrayed as a dumb brute in other books and the SM/WW relationship was not well done at all, in part because it felt like none of the writers actually wanted to write it.
    -Rebirth brought some much needed unity to the Superman books. I loved Jurgens Lois & Clark, Tomasi Superman Rebirth (vol. 5 aside), and Yang totally redeemed himself with New Superman. I hope the upcoming Superman vs. the Ku Klux Klan is another hit for Yang, I want him to write a Black Label Superman book where he won’t have to deal with editorial bull****.
    -Finally I’m enjoying the Bendis era on the Superbooks, and I’m loving the Lois and Jimmy Olsen stuff. We got some great non-mainline Superman stuff like Adventures of Superman, American Alien, or Superman Unchained by Snyder.

So comics wise we got some great stuff and a lot of failures, so how is this one of Supes worst decades? Because while I liked Superman’s comics his outside media presence this decade has been really bad.

So yeah it’s been a pretty godawful decade for him all together. But there’s hope! We’ve got that upcoming Crisis crossover with THREE Supermen teaming up and the Internet going crazy shows that people still love Superman. We’ve got TWO animated movies coming out next year. I’m enjoying the Bendis era of comics especially thanks to stuff like Wonder Comics which features Supes in positive indirect ways like Dial H. Young Justice will have the Legion next season so I’m hoping Superman and the Superfamily will be at the center of that. And maybe JJ Abrams will be able to do what Snyder could not, assuming he does eventually try to make a Superman film. So the 2020s offer hope, or at least are off to a much more promising start than the 2010s.
    I agree with almost all of your points comics wise, but I think I come down on it kinda being a wash but ending on an upswing. 2010 was a mess. Grounded was terrible as well. The Earth One books were bad. I think the Adventures of Superman series was really the high point in the comics between 2011 and 2016, with several shorts that are among the best Superman stories we've gotten. Smallville Season 11 was also solid and holds up well as a AU.

I agree American Alien was also one of the best new takes on his origin, which will likely be buried and never spoken of again do to the Landis allegations. Divorced from that its still a solid book and the closest thing we've gotten to an evergreen take in the last 15 years.

Morrison's Action origin, separated from what followed is solid, but hampered I think by the narrative direction the New 52 forced on it (as the origin of All Star Superman it was conceived as Lois would have played a different role) and Morrison going full Morrison towards the end makes it way to incomprehensible to be an evergreen take while the mishmash of art teams and Morales' uneven art when he was rushing further hurt it. Ultimately, it's about 7 or 8 issues of really good Superman and 10 that are ok if you're into Morrison's galaxy brained stuff.

Rebirth really turned things around but I think that even that has a lot of faults that got glossed over. The ousting of Berganza likely has a lot to do with the quality bounceback. The push for Action Comics 1000 and a coherent direction with Bendis, after the narrative failure of the New 52, we're seeing a concerted effort to keep him in the spotlight and carve out a real direction and family of books. Wonder Comics is very Superman centric. We have the Lois & Jimmy books. Doomsday Clock is shaping up to be a good statement on him, Action & Superman actually matter in the context of the DCU and we have Legion spinning out of it with a modern take and Superboy central to it's narrative. DC doesn't seem to be embarrassed by him anymore and editorial isn't trying to sell him as "not the boring Superman of the last 25 years" like they did at the launch of New 52 and which ultimately poisoned the well there.

His presence in the DC Ink & Zoom lines is solid with Superman vs. The KKK and Superman of Smallville, and Super Son's all doing well. There's several additional Superman themed books in that pipeline including another Lois Lane youth book after her successful YA novel series.

I actually really enjoy the Arrowverse Superman, so I'd count that as a win for the character. Particularly with how well received that take is everywhere except here more or less. He's a marquee character for that network. Crisis is looking like it's going to be very Superman centric and we're getting a live action Jon Kent (baby confirmed, older version rumored). Superboy is going to be on Titans. There's two new animated movies coming and Death & Reign were both really successful. The validation of Reign as the DCU's most streamed movie was great. And honestly that's probably way more important than bluray sales given it's subscribers that picked up and may stick with the service.

He had a couple of good years in Rebirth, but otherwise its been a very big disappointment overall in the comics.

He didn't appear much in YJ.
    His two animated films, Death of Superman and Rise of the Supermen, were pretty good, especially the first one.
    Live action, well, never cared for Snyder's take on Superman. Though Justice League showed a much better one. Supergirl's version is mostly a side character, but as a character, I like pretty well. The upcoming Crisis with more Supermen looks to be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    He had a couple of good years in Rebirth, but otherwise its been a very big disappointment overall in the comics.

He didn't appear much in YJ.
    His two animated films, Death of Superman and Rise of the Supermen, were pretty good, especially the first one.
    Live action, well, never cared for Snyder's take on Superman. Though Justice League showed a much better one. Supergirl's version is mostly a side character, but as a character, I like pretty well. The upcoming Crisis with more Supermen looks to be very interesting.
    This basically sums up what I was thinking.

I voted Average but my real feeling is above average not great. B+

It could be worse, we could have almost nothing.

Personally I quite liked the live action Man of Steel film despite my gripes (A-). Liked JL fine (B+).

Absolutely loved the animated Death of Superman, and Reign was solid. All Star Superman was also very enjoyable. I haven't seen many animated DC movies but hope so soon.

I don't read all the comics but I really enjoyed Man and Superman this year. I wish to see a Superman live action adaptation using this story.

I was never a big Smallville fan, but I can't deny that show was very popular with casuals and fans, so I'm happy about that.

The CW Superman portrayal has been a huge disappointment for me. I think it's the worse Superman I can remember. He's mostly used as punching bag so meh. But I'm excited to see Brandon in Crisis. Hope it's good.

Have to mention the Syfy show Krypton. I quite liked it. Much better than expected. Sad it ended.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 10-04-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'd say it had so much wasted potential.

Morrison's run was one of the best Superman stories ever, but almost nothing was built off of it. Instead we got Perez' editorial clusterf***, Superman Unchained, H'El,, a romance with Wonder Woman that she ignored n her own title, Clark quitting the Planet only to return there after doing nothing, the lamest "new" power, Truth, and then a brick wall followed by a reboot.

Rebirth gave us a great new character in Jon, but that took the reboot to allow and after establishing him his creators left and Bendis removed all that development.

And Doomsday Clock was all promise but apparently no payoff as it's been shunted into pointlessness by other developments in the DCU. Meanwhile the major restructuring out the DCU spins out of a Batman centric story.

On the movie screen we got a polarizing relaunch that was supposed to be leading somewhere but instead died after three movies of setting up that no lead nowhere.

TV gave us Supergirl which sadly is the highpoint for live-action Superman this decade. It's sad that the live action Lex award goes to a show focused on a supporting character to Superman.

In general, I might say averages out to about a C. Liked almost everything from the first half of the decade, based off the best Superman foundation laid in well over three decades, but it wasn't capitalized on properly and resulted in a lot of wasted potential. And the larger reboot initiative overall was so poorly planned. Latter half of the decade I've tolerated it at best, hated it at worst. Better planned, but that's about it. Responsible for the creation of a character that I still feel and probably always will feel is an out-of-place, inorganic leech to the mythos, that will continue to have negative repurcussions on Superman for years to come the longer he's around. That's a pretty huge demerit that to the point I'd take a whole letter grade off and land things at a D.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-04-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

forgot to mention Jon Cryer as Lex in Supergirl. He proved me wrong, he was awesome as Lex. It helps that he had good writing worthy of his character. I can't say the same about that show. I stopped watching because of the awful writing overall with some exceptions. I'm glad I gave Jon Cryer a chance, he rocked.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    He's had three different reboots in ten years time. That's not a good sign. And that doesn't even get into things like TV shows and movies. Snyder makes a Batman movie with Superman in it and Supergirl makes him look like a chump every chance they get. The most human moment he ever had on the show was cut out and reduced to an extra on the DVD collection. His only video game appearance made him a villain. The most exciting thing happening, for me at least, is the return of Welling as Smallville Clark next year. Now they're talking about even replacing him in the movies with Supergirl because they can't get the actor who played him to come back. I just can't pretend to care anymore.
    Largely agree with these negatives. They outweigh the positives for me, so C-.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Video games:
    The least relevant, historically. We've only grazed the notion if a decent game. However, he's a blast in Injustice. His juggles with the super breath are nearly perfect in what I envision for his gameplay, and though I'd add some more surprising moves to his arsenal it's the most comprehensive experience of playing Superman by far. I give it a C+

Tv:
    Did Smallville keep going? Into early that decade? Sorry. I don't care for that one and I care less about his Supergirl appearances. Getting back Routh and Welling is pretty sweet as an idea though. Krypton came and went before I could watch. I give it a D.

Merchandise:
    We could do with even more Swan and JLGL modelled products, like busts and t-shirts. But the "classic Superman" thing took off pretty well in the new era. Ironically it's the same complaint Byrne had, that they still promoted older takes half the time by default. Retro shirts, mugs, posters... I even have a neat card set and a pair of slippers. No idea why the particular bronze age isn't really touched, but the golden age collections and newpaper collections through IDW are plain excellent. The protein shakers and workout gear are probably more popular than for any other hero. I give it a B.

Movies:

Oh boy. These are the biggest products available. You probably can't call a franchise strong anymore without a corresponding movie prescence. I really did enjoy the first two films and JL was alright... but the DCEU Supeman has a bitter legacy. That's gonna be strength he doesn't have going into the next decade. Because of my bias only can I see it as a C.

Comics:
    To preface, as with the movies I have zero doubt that the efforts were earnest. It just doesn't work to harm a big name brand. But editorial and creative confusion strangled just about every outing. The highest points were big name creators who couldn't play with others and didn't stick around to see their ideas through. Pak, Kuder, Yang, Diggle, and others had the rug pulled from under them. Rebirth was a panic move with little thought behind world building and issue to issue quality. The average Bendis comic doesn't really live up to his ideas. Yet there are a lot of good comics sprinkled throughout, a neat anthology series went down, and we currently have a robust arsenal of spinoffs with more incoming. I give it a C.

So yeah, disappointed and frustrated, but definitely still along for the ride. If that was the worst then I don't feel too badly about it.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Average I guess - a few great stories balanced out by the bad Superdad angle and son.