View Poll Results: How were the 2010s decade (2010-2019) for Clark?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • A = excellent

1 2.22%
  • B = satisfying

6 13.33%
  • C = average

16 35.56%
  • D = disappointing

17 37.78%
  • F = abysmal

5 11.11%
  • I = incomplete (haven't experienced enough to judge)

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    So to be incredibly straightforward, out of these three runs, which one have you guys enjoyed the most as of now?:

I will say the middle, but i couldn't stand New 52 so it gets to be the breath of fresh air following a wet fart, and I still feel a bit bamboozled following the Legion getting taken from Clark.

So to be incredibly straightforward, out of these three runs, which one have you guys enjoyed the most as of now?:

The New 52 Superman book was pretty consistently bad. Action Comics was enjoyable. Of the three you listed I enjoyed Tomasi’s run the most so far.

Tomasi's and Jurgens' runs are what made me a fan of Superman after being indifferent towards him all my life. So Rebirth wins, hands down.

Why couldn't Jon stay a kid longer and just go with Dad on adventures on occasions??

And have his own smaller adventures with Damian??

Why so much change so soon??

Bendis.

The New52 Superman title struggled from the beginning, and the best it managed to do was provide some interesting ideas with questionable (or downright bad) execution. Generally speaking, that title was barely able to reach "mediocre" levels at best.

Tomasi started pretty strong, and he even made me enjoy the Rockwell-like family dynamic, but the title started to come apart after the first year (and I didn't think the opening arc was terribly impressive either, so it's really more like the book was good for six-eight months only). Still, considering how much I prefer pre-Crisis sensibilities in my Superman, the fact that Tomasi was able to make me accept (if not celebrate) the perfect, nuclear family setup is saying quite a bit.

Bendis has done some things in Superman I'm not at all fond of, but he writes the closest thing to how I see the character. He's given me the cosmic scope I want, he's advanced some core elements that rarely get the attention I'd like them to see, and he's pushing the Legion and UP (if not in the way I want) which is light-years beyond what the other runs have accomplished. It seems to me that the biggest complaints about this book have nothing to do with Clark, but the treatment of a supporting cast member who still has that "new car" smell. And since Jon exists to further Clark's story I'm not very bothered by the age-up. I'm not a big fan of it as I do like Jon as a kid, but it's far, far, far from a deal breaker. I'm not a fan of Jor-El being alive either, but that's a leftover Bendis got stuck with and he's fixed that problem by sending Jor back to Krypton where he belongs.

So it's not really a competition at all. Bendis, hands down.

But Action has been the better title since Morrison. That guy works Superman miracles. Pak's run was fantastic when he wasn't saddled with crossovers. And Action is the stronger of the two Bendis titles as well. I'd say that, outside of Jurgens' run, Action has consistently been the better title (though it too has been uneven in its quality over the last eight years).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The middle volume really struggled after the rushed Multiversity ending. There were good stories up until the end, but it didn't have the same momentum. The New 52 volume never got off the ground though, and I've already lost interest in the Bendis story.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Time for the All-Decade awards, Superverse edition!

1. Best / Worst Single Superman Issue of the Decade
    Worst: Superman vol 3 #28. It's not really worse than other Lobdell issues but it was drawn by Brett Booth. As with any comic I'd call bad, I can get it. I understand the idea of not rocking the boat or going out on a bold idea, like JMS did (Roberson damage control or not, you have to smack your head that we had a Superman speech stating, "those people need to look out for themselves "). I understand the idea of going to the 90s X-Men well, especially under Bob Harras and co. But it's still the low point of creativity for this character and though I think Tess Ate Chai Tea has really mean reviews, many of the storytelling knocks are pretty hard to deny.

Best was Action Comics #1000. It's pretty unfair for all of the advantages it was given, but that's just the great big one and the fact that we got Tec #1000 and All of Marvel #1000 in the same vein really supports its status. Otherwise I'd say one of the last few issues of Adventures.

2. Best / Worst Superman miniseries / trade paperback of the Decade
    This is hard since I think trades and mini series are sort of the opposites of each other. The New Krypton stuff can't be separated from being a single epic so the segments are safe from my judgment. Probably the worst mini was Secret Origin, which isn't even bad so we were sort of lucky. Convergence Adventures was very bad but only two parts.

Convergence Superman combines with Lois and Clark so until the current three mini series finish, that ten part story has my nod. Collection wise any omnibus has to win. Probably Exile at the top though.

3. Best/Worst animated Superman moment of the Decade
    The Elite movie really polished its original story where All Star was a little lesser than the comic. I don't think it's a contest for the original material but given that it's a strangely opposite outcome.

4. Best/Worst Live action Superman moment of the Decade
    This is a little mean but I have to say Hoechlin Superman was unattractive to me in every way. I say this as someone who thought the only flaw Cavill had was some wonky movie direction. Then I nod the entire Man of Steel movie, which opened with Jor-El piloting a dragon through a war zone.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

If we're talking just the opening of the run, I'll still take Perez's New 52 one out of the three. He was doing some interesting stuff, with the well-documented lack of communication issue ruining things that this particular title wouldn't ever really come out of. Rebirth/Bendis was obviously way better planned, but I didn't like Rebirth for reasons stated many times, and Bendis that beginning was good but I'm going to be jaded about it now in retrospect knowing what it was leading to all along (5G).
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Editorial definitely deserves the lion share of the blame for what went down with the Perez Superman title, I’d agree with that.

Unsurprisingly my vote goes to the Rebirth Superman comic.

The New 52 Superman run was always the weaker of the two series during the New 52. The writers always struggled to find their footing, the stories were worse on average than Action Comics and the only good stories came from Geoff Johns' short run on the title. Otherwise it was consistently mediocre to bad stories.

Tomasi and Gleason's Rebirth run helped to fix what I thought the New 52 had moved away from in the Superman comics. The first year in particular where there were high quality stories month after month was a great time to be a Superman fan in my view. I enjoyed the family dynamics, I really enjoyed Jon's expanded role and character growth and setting the Kents up in Hamilton for most of their run was a good choice. The first year was excellent, the beginning of the second year was solid but it did lose steam due to all those filler stories (which is kind of due to Bendis being in talks to take over Superman at the time) It did end strongly which was a good thing.

Bendis has managed to suck all the enjoyment I once had for the Superman comics during Rebirth and set it down a path that's potentially even worse than the New 52 was for Superman. His dialogue is unbearable, his pacing is atrocious, he's made so many forced changes to Superman in a short amount of time and aging up Jon has robbed him of any character he once had. Obviously there are a lot of Bendis fans on here so if you like it I'm glad you're enjoying it. But I've never liked any of Bendis' writing so Bendis writing Superman is a personal nightmare. I genuinely think his run won't be as well regarded as Tomasi and Gleason's in the long term and I'm dreading what Bendis plans to do with Superman next.
    Last edited by Lvenger; 10-15-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Nah the double shipping schedule is what caused the filler not Bendis. Tomasi has talked about how brutal it was on the creative teams and it showed in both the writing and the art after Black Dawn. Agree about Bizarroverse, it was a great ending arc and issue 45 was the best ending issue to a Superman run since imo Morrison’s Action.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nah the double shipping schedule is what caused the filler not Bendis. Tomasi has talked about how brutal it was on the creative teams and it showed in both the writing and the art after Black Dawn.
    I've seen that quote before but then why did he move onto Detective Comics afterwards, which also has a double shipping schedule? I would have thought Tomasi would want to avoid another double shipping series if Superman was so stressful for him and the creative team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I've seen that quote before but then why did he move onto Detective Comics afterwards, which also has a double shipping schedule? I would have thought Tomasi would want to avoid another double shipping series if Superman was so stressful for him and the creative team.
    Batman is his favorite character so I assume that writing for Bruce is probably easier for Tomasi to do quickly compared to Supes. And Tec is the side Batman book so there’s less pressure to think up “big” stories which aren’t really Tomasi’s forte anyway. His attempts to write those on the Superman book, for example Multiplicity, were the weaker stories he wrote.

But all the filler was also designed to buy time for Gleason on Bizarroverse and Mahkane on Imperius Lex iirc.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

In a word; Bendis.

In two words; Bendis, easily.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Rebirth. It was uneven, but I think it was better than the New 52 (which was mostly awful) and Bendis (which is mostly forgettable aside from some of the terrible changes he has made).
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Lets be honest 90% of Tomasi Rebirth run was good, 3-4 clunker issues.

We should all know by now, being seasoned consumers of pop culture, that 10% of anything is the only good stuff, 80% is meh, mass market crap, 10% is “good lord, who approved this?”

So the ten percent i got was B+ worthy this decade. Spectacular art for the most part on the Sups books

The movies were the worst, just the worst. So disappointing.