View Poll Results: How were the 2010s decade (2010-2019) for Clark?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • A = excellent

1 2.22%
  • B = satisfying

6 13.33%
  • C = average

16 35.56%
  • D = disappointing

17 37.78%
  • F = abysmal

5 11.11%
  • I = incomplete (haven't experienced enough to judge)

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

So yeah, disappointed and frustrated, but definitely still along for the ride. If that was the worst then I don't feel too badly about it.
    As bitter as some of us can be at Superman’s lost prestige we still have it better than a lot of other characters. One character that really just collapsed this decade? Green Lantern. Went from outselling Batman, getting two animated movies, and supporting an entire Green Lantern family of books to just one book (that’s freaking great imo!) in this decade. GL has fallen off hard.

It's not fair to expect every famous fictional character to stay on top all the time. It's sad but true. It really depends on quality stories in all media. Sadly, Superman has been very mismanaged for decades. I think he is still famous, loved and iconic even after all that. He could be bigger but DC and WB suck as visionaries and creators.

Robin Hood and Tarzan are characters that have fallen hard.

A solid D for me, disappointing with a few flashes of hope here and there.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The 2010s Superman gets a Solid B for me.

Not B+. Not B-. Ultimately satisfying, but left too much on the table to sniff an A.

The good from 2010-2019 (random order):

1. Grant Morrison's New52 Action Comics run
    2. The Reborn costume
    3. Man of Steel movie (no more stupid than STM, and such a great musical score)
    4. The resurrected Superman scenes from the Justice League movie
    5. Justice League Action cartoon
    6. Lex Luthor's Black Ring saga
    7. Lois & Clark as good parents (pre-Bendis)
    8. Jon S. Kent (again, pre-Bendis)
    9. Clark "power creeping" closer to Silver Age levels
    10. Death of Superman/ Reign of the Supermen animated movies
    11. Lois getting more respect in- universe (Maxiseries+ Leviathan) and out (Gwenda Bond novels)
    12. Smallville finale (except one thing)
    13. Jon Cryer the undisputed king of Live Action Lex Luthors
    14. Luthor in Forever Evil

And now the bad from the 2010s:

1. Grounded
    2. New Krypton finale
    3. Superman/Wonder Woman New52 romance
    4. Lois disrespected throughout New52
    5. Two Supermen co-existing before ignominiously killing New52 Superman (pre Superman Reborn)
    6. The New52 costume
    7. Supergirl TV show's belittling of Superman
    8. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
    9. Bendis' take on Lois & Clark marriage
    10. Bendis aging up Jon
    11. Tom Welling never actually wearing the super suit in the Smallville finale

Hmmm ... this might be closer to a B- than a solid B. But I maintain that the 2010s were a VAST improvement over the 2000s (definitely his worst decade by a country mile).

Here's hoping the 2020s ultimately do him better.

I gave the decade a C.

There's been a whole lot of awful. So much awful. 2010 was one of the worst years I've ever experienced as a Superfan, and I was there through the 00's (which was maybe his worst decade ever).

There's been some really great stuff, like Morrison's Action, Rebirth, Bendis, etc. But a whole lot of terrible, and more than anything there's been some stuff that's been really polarizing and mixed, like the Man of Steel movie (which I love, but it still got very mixed reviews).

I feel like this decade, if it were a student, is the kind of student that will get an A on one paper, an F on the next, and then a B on the third. Just completely inconsistent.

DC has rebooted Clark at least two-three times in ten years, has continued to strip elements away from him, and can't settle on a direction or even agree on a basic approach and characterization. But there *has* been a number of homeruns, and those highlights have been really damn strong (Morrison's Action not only sold tremendously well but is arguably among the best runs the character has had). But as big as the high points have been, the low points have sunk to all-new lows.

So I think it probably averages out to a C. But it's also my wife's birthday and I'm in a good mood. If I answered this tomorrow I might give it a D, because we've had weak stories than strong ones.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I
    Like Morrison's
    Hate Lobdell's
    Like Greg Pak's but only at the beginning as it gets angsty as we go on
    Batman/Superman title is quite amusing
    HATE that they moved Post Crisis Superfamily to New 52 because that screwed up the New 52 timeline even more and because I was already happy that they are happy in the surviving Post Crisis universe
    HATE that they just kill of New 52 Superman after a series of stories that tortures him but I guess it can be considered mercy killing
    LOVE Superfamily rebirth
    Hate Superman Reborn not because of the story but because I'm on the principle that reboot should be done before Rebirth began, not in the middle of the story
    Never like the idea of Jor-El being alive and kind of a jerk
    Tired of any attempt of rewriting Krypton's demise other than that it caused by Kryptonian hubris
    HATE aging up Jon

I haven't watched MoS or BvS.
    The LEGO movies kinda make him a parody of do-gooder, but everyone's a parody. Injustice... we don't talk about that

All in all, it's more disappointing than not

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved Morrison's ACTION COMICS and large swaths of Lobdell's SUPERMAN (criminally underrated and chuck full of new concepts and fresh ideas). ACTION COMICS #13 by Grant Morrison, 'Superman's Mission to Mars', is a modern classic IMO.

MAN OF STEEL was alright. Henry Cavil was a great Superman with pretty bad material. BVS was a big missed opportunity, and JL was embarrassing.

Bendis' stuff has been consistently strong, even if I'm only reading it occasionally (more out of disinterest for what the character has become, than the actual quality- which is solid). I love Rucka's LOIS LANE and Fraction's JIMMY OLSEN, though.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-05-2019 at 10:21 AM.

This decade for Superman has been a real rollercoaster, with some great highs and disappointing lows. It hasn't been consistently good, but I rather focus on the good than the bad.

I forgot JL Action. Superman has some great moments.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I forgot JL Action. Superman has some great moments.
    As did I when I initially gave this decade a C-. I also forgot some lesser-known projects like the Lego Batman games. I'm willing to give the decade a revised grade of C+.

If I had to grade various aspects of Superman, I'd say the character did well in media for younger kids. I found this niche to be the most consistent in delivering Superman content I enjoyed. Comics were hit and miss, and TV and Movies aimed for teens and up have been really disappointing. So we're still in the C range, but there was stuff I did like.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I went for 'average' as an overall, but my true feelings are that this decade has been like a roller coaster in the worst possible way.

Superman has occasionally touched upon the highest of highs, he has delved the lowest of lows but mostly he has switched between good, mediocre and poor. Bafflingly bad choices have been made for the character again and again, in ways that make me wonder if DC has any idea what to do with the character. Almost like they're publishing him out of obligation rather than love.

I am very much hoping Bendis can continue to keep me interested in the comics, as I've had to drop them several times this decade through sheer frustration.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    As did I when I initially gave this decade a C-. I also forgot some lesser-known projects like the Lego Batman games. I'm willing to give the decade a revised grade of C+.

If I had to grade various aspects of Superman, I'd say the character did well in media for younger kids. I found this niche to be the most consistent in delivering Superman content I enjoyed. Comics were hit and miss, and TV and Movies aimed for teens and up have been really disappointing. So we're still in the C range, but there was stuff I did like.
    I loved All Star Superman and Death of Superman so much (the latter still very fresh in my mind), and those highs make me feel somewhat more positive.

I think DC should focus more on the kids market for Superman because he needs new fans with fresh minds who can see the wonder and purity that he truly is.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I loved All Star Superman and Death of Superman so much (the latter still very fresh in my mind), and those highs make me feel somewhat more positive.

I think DC should focus more on the kids market for Superman because he needs new fans with fresh minds who can see the wonder and purity that he truly is.
    I tend to think of All-Star Superman as a great accomplishment from the aughts, but since the movie did come out in 2011 then it should get some love for this decade.

Mighty Member

I thought Man of Steel was a good movie and it was one of the few introductions I've had to Superman as someone born in a Batman heavy era. American Alien was the only comic I read of his from this decade that was memorable and it was an amazing one that really deserves more shine but it's usually not talked about. However, I do think Cavill was shafted in the entire DCEU debacle.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-07-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

It started out great. I loved the beginnings of the New 52 take, but then it went all bad. I keep getting disappointed with each bit of news that comes out and its been that way for years since rebirth. Reborn was alright but it also went off course. The current run has some great ideas that i really enjoyed, but they don't outweigh all the really terrible ones and the current 5g rumors has made me feel like quitting comics altogether.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I
    Like Morrison's
    Hate Lobdell's
    Like Greg Pak's but only at the beginning as it gets angsty as we go on
    Batman/Superman title is quite amusing
    HATE that they moved Post Crisis Superfamily to New 52 because that screwed up the New 52 timeline even more and because I was already happy that they are happy in the surviving Post Crisis universe
    HATE that they just kill of New 52 Superman after a series of stories that tortures him but I guess it can be considered mercy killing
    LOVE Superfamily rebirth
    Hate Superman Reborn not because of the story but because I'm on the principle that reboot should be done before Rebirth began, not in the middle of the story
    Never like the idea of Jor-El being alive and kind of a jerk
    Tired of any attempt of rewriting Krypton's demise other than that it caused by Kryptonian hubris
    HATE aging up Jon

I haven't watched MoS or BvS.
    The LEGO movies kinda make him a parody of do-gooder, but everyone's a parody. Injustice... we don't talk about that

All in all, it's more disappointing than not
    Absolutely agree! Definitely more disappointing than not.