Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man #31 Preview

https://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-m...rnage-preview/

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I'VE SACRIFICED?!

It's weird that the Lee/Romita characters don't all look exactly like they did when drawn by Romita.

I guess the only difference from their modern depictions is MJ's hair isn't as long (at least when Ottley draws her adult self) and Peter looks a little less like Ultimate Peter then he does in that flashback.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's weird that the Lee/Romita characters don't all look exactly like they did when drawn by Romita.
    I like that to be honest. It gives a different insight than simply reprinting the originals.

I guess the only difference from their modern depictions is MJ's hair isn't as long (at least when Ottley draws her adult self) and Peter looks a little less like Ultimate Peter then he does in that flashback.
    I personally like Ottley's Gwen, it makes the character look more down-to-earth than Romita's take did.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I like that to be honest. It gives a different insight than simply reprinting the originals.
    I get that, but it just seems to put things temporally out-of-sorts in my opinion.
    I personally like Ottley's Gwen, it makes the character look more down-to-earth than Romita's take did.
    It just looks weird to me. Especially with that hair.

With this in store, they're most likely going to reveal who Kindred is. I'm placing my bets. There's so much buildup now, and Spencer is doing a masterful job of telling his own story within the larger Absolute Carnage story.

BANNED

I get that, but it just seems to put things temporally out-of-sorts in my opinion.
    It's trying to put a contemporary spin to that era which is fair since comic-book-time means the Romita era now happened in the 2000s late-2000s at the earliest, early-to-mid-2010s at the latest.

It sticks out because artists have generally not done that. Since Spider-Man Blue the idea has been to style the L-R era in some '60s chiffon style even if that becomes anachronistic. Fraction's To Have and to Hold also followed that lead in MJ's flashbacks to the '60s and '70s (that famous kiss at the airport...yeah that probably happened outside it in current continuity rather than inside owing to Post 9/11 protocols which forbid friends of passengers from entering nside).

It just looks weird to me. Especially with that hair.
    Well for once Gwen doesn't look like Blonde MJ which is how Romita Sr. styled her in that period.

BANNED

Wonder if the goblin is happy he is being suborned by Cletus's persona. it will be interesting to have a peek in what's going on in Osborne's demented mind but Spencer doesn't seem to be interested in exploring the inner psyche of pseudo Carnage like Ewing did with the immortal hulk.
    Last edited by Desmark; 10-04-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's trying to put a contemporary spin to that era which is fair since comic-book-time means the Romita era now happened in the 2000s late-2000s at the earliest, early-to-mid-2010s at the latest.

It sticks out because artists have generally not done that. Since Spider-Man Blue the idea has been to style the L-R era in some '60s chiffon style even if that becomes anachronistic. Fraction's To Have and to Hold also followed that lead in MJ's flashbacks to the '60s and '70s (that famous kiss at the airport...yeah that probably happened outside it in current continuity rather than inside owing to Post 9/11 protocols which forbid friends of passengers from entering nside).
    I feel like that's always been how the Sliding Timescale has worked. Just look at how the O5 X-Men got handled when they were brought to the past.
    Well for once Gwen doesn't look like Blonde MJ which is how Romita Sr. styled her in that period.
    She never really came off that way to me.

I don't think it's entirely productive to complain about that aspect. Artists' rendering of this era is wildly different from artist to artist. Ottley chose a different path than others. So I don't see the point in worrying/wondering why they look so different compared to their original looks.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I don't think it's entirely productive to complain about that aspect. Artists' rendering of this era is wildly different from artist to artist. Ottley chose a different path than others. So I don't see the point in worrying/wondering why they look so different compared to their original looks.
    It's just something I felt like commenting on since it stood out to me .

I guess now is the time to ask: whats the name of norman and harry hairstyle? I dont know if its fake or its reference for something
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I guess now is the time to ask: whats the name of norman and harry hairstyle? I dont know if its fake or its reference for something
    Cornrows, I think? That's what I've seen people call it.

It's just something I felt like commenting on since it stood out to me .
    I guess but it seems like a waste.