Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Seems like that "leak" was definitely by design. They knew the internet fan community would go wild for it. They knew the fans would pour over the pictures and cobble together the timeline. Then the internet debates and reacts to the timeline. Meanwhile, DC sits back and watches how people react, and more importantly, can steal the best ideas and take the best criticism to heart and rework the timeline so it is even better.
    May sound sneaky...
    But if it helps them avoid another disorganized mess from not thinking things through again...
    I can overlook it.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Seems like that "leak" was definitely by design. They knew the internet fan community would go wild for it. They knew the fans would pour over the pictures and cobble together the timeline. Then the internet debates and reacts to the timeline. Meanwhile, DC sits back and watches how people react, and more importantly, can steal the best ideas and take the best criticism to heart and rework the timeline so it is even better.
    Oh I hope so

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

I'm fine with that. So long as they really do read the best ideas and don't just go with whatever is trending on Twitter.

Also, I hope they don't go with the idea that all the past stories happened. They should just pick the most important ones that they want to define the DCU, and leave the rest to the reader's discretion.

Personally I would have done the timeline differently by not having any years listed (unless we're talking about the JSA) and simply go by sequence of events. That leaves room for interpretation and you don't lock yourself down too much in the age question. Grated when you add stuff like the birth of characters such as Damian Wayne or Jon Kent it sets up a marker, but for the most part this is where we have to invoke the suspension of disbelief if we're going to have an ongoing "forever young" shared universe that works.

For the JSA there are a number of ways they can be put into stasis somewhere in between their disappearance during the HUAC and a reappearance in the modern age.

Here's an example of how this might work for the early post-Crisis years (using the post-Crisis continuity). Each column begins with the event shown in the top column with everything else coming in between that event and the next event. (Only Batman and Superman done in this example)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    Personally I would have done the timeline differently by not having any years listed (unless we're talking about the JSA) and simply go by sequence of events. That leaves room for interpretation and you don't lock yourself down too much in the age question. Grated when you add stuff like the birth of characters such as Damian Wayne or Jon Kent it sets up a marker, but for the most part this is where we have to invoke the suspension of disbelief if we're going to have an ongoing "forever young" shared universe that works.

For the JSA there are a number of ways they can be put into stasis somewhere in between their disappearance during the HUAC and a reappearance in the modern age.

Here's an example of how this might work for the early post-Crisis years (using the post-Crisis continuity). Each column begins with the event shown in the top column with everything else coming in between that event and the next event. (Only Batman and Superman done in this example)

Yeah, I agree with you that what happened, and the order in which events happened, are more important than the exact passage of time - as long as the vague passage of time alluded to is passable in terms of suspension of disbelief.

The New 52 really failed in that regard, with Batman having four Robins in a 5 year span - one of whom was his 10 year old son who would have been conceived within said 5 year span!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you that what happened, and the order in which events happened, are more important than the exact passage of time - as long as the vague passage of time alluded to is passable in terms of suspension of disbelief.

The New 52 really failed in that regard, with Batman having four Robins in a 5 year span - one of whom was his 10 year old son who would have been conceived within said 5 year span!
    I hope DC takes note of this. We don't need to be given exact years, just keep it like "a decade ago" or something like that and keep characters' age vague. These universes don't work like our own and we shouldn't expect them to.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Dan DiDio talked about the timeline in the latest episode of DC Daily (start at the 7 minute mark): https://roosterteeth.com/watch/dc-daily-october-22-2019

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Dan DiDio talked about the timeline in the latest episode of DC Daily (start at the 7 minute mark): https://roosterteeth.com/watch/dc-daily-october-22-2019
    Interesting.

So basically, its still a work in progress but once it comes out its supposed to be 'absolute' and the base for all future stories moving forward.

He's clearly conscious of the fact that having a rigid timeline itself presents a lot of problems, particularly in terms of 'dating' stories. Makes me wonder to what extent the 'hard dates' in the NYCC timeline will remain in the final version.

Interesting.

So basically, its still a work in progress but once it comes out its supposed to be 'absolute' and the base for all future stories moving forward.

He's clearly conscious of the fact that having a rigid timeline itself presents a lot of problems, particularly in terms of 'dating' stories. Makes me wonder to what extent the 'hard dates' in the NYCC timeline will remain in the final version.
    Absolute huh?
    So does Dan really believe that most of the hardcore collectors/readers out there are going to just continue shelling out $$$ and buying these new floppies/books full of no name replacement characters and INCREASE their sales?
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

*sees charts and graphs, eyes glaze over. Waits for good stories*
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

You have to be really careful when you use the word "absolute" .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    Absolute huh?
    So does Dan really believe that most of the hardcore collectors/readers out there are going to just continue shelling out $$$ and buying these new floppies/books full of no name replacement characters and INCREASE their sales?
    I think he was talking more in terms of past continuity than anything else.

While I doubt continuity will ever be stable at DC, I'm guessing that the failed New 52 experiment proves that in general the way forward for DC is acknowledging their past, and reboots that erase iconic characters and stories will ultimately be damaging to the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post

I'd move "Supergirl Saga" one row more and call it "Matrix becomes the new Supergirl" or similar to differentiate from Kara Zor-El. Her saga (i.e. own series) begins after Superman Returns; after Crisis in Time even.

Interesting.

I think leaking it to the fans to get reactions really could help.
    It'll bring attention to things they may have forgotten or overlooked.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    I'd move "Supergirl Saga" one row more and call it "Matrix becomes the new Supergirl" or similar to differentiate from Kara Zor-El. Her saga (i.e. own series) begins after Superman Returns; after Crisis in Time even.
    The idea behind this is that everything in a row happens following the event seen at the top of the row and before the event seen at the top of the next. The Supergirl saga (which I named that way because that was what it was called in the books) happened just before Invasion! so putting it in the row under Invasion would be wrong. I do see a point of distinguishing it from the Zor-El Supergirl who came later though.