Page 62 of 93 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    If they moved most of the silver age and bronze age (compression) into the early and mid 80s, it would probably shave off decades of aging.

Another way is just have Earth 0 people not all aging the same way, bit more fantasty world.
    It needs to be the 90s and 2000s, to be honest. Don't forget 1980 was already 40 years ago, which would mean any adult hero who debuted in 1980 would be at least 60 (even the New Teen Titans, who did debut that year, would be in their late 50s).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Things can change. Most of the issues in the back were about the aging and replacements.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From Bleeding Cool:

"I understand that it is too late to affect Flash #750, out at C2E2today and in comic stores on Wednesday. But it appears that a number of writers who have been working on upcoming comic books in line with the new DC Timeline, as of yesterday are being asked to make significant changes.

The original plan, as outlined by Dan DiDio at NYCC last year, was to rewrite the chronology of the DC Universe, with Wonder Woman first emerging in World War II rather than five years ago, and then live through the twentieth century, inspiring all other DC superheroes.

As revealed by Bleeding Cool analysis, this would also see Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent born around this time and so age them significantly, as well as spread what had been a truncated timeline in the New 52, out across the decades. One example of the changes this would make would be giving each Robin a decade or more with Batman, before moving on. This is part of the 'everything happened, everything matters' mantra that was going to put everything published into DC Comics history, somewhere, rather than previous Crises and reboots which were more likely to cut things out. And, spread out across four generations- with a new Fifth Generation looking at what happened when the big names stepped down and their legacy continues with other characters – would allow creators to tell stories across their entire lives, as one can do with the likes of James Bond, Sherlock Holmes or Robin Hood. The opportunity to do both Year One and Old Man stories. And then to go further beyond…

But now I am told that major changes are coming in. First, the dates, the specified years' timespans laid out in the DC Timeline are no longer being as tied down. Creators are rewriting and redrawing as a result. The 5G books are all still happening, as are the Generation one-shots – but they may now be placed in a different context.

For some, this will be welcome. For others, this may be abandoning what seemed as a very exciting idea. Bleeding Cool will keep an eye on how this rolls out, as we have for the entirety of our reporting on 5G and the DC Timeline."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...ges-dc-comics/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

DC changes direction. In other news, water wet. Perry white would be proud.

The timeline thing is being tossed? Figures, it was probably the most interesting thing about this initiative. But at the same time it did seem kinda impractical. So I get why they’d drop it.

Yep they’re bailing on 5G as it was. Will this mean they’re going to drop WW as the first hero? Clark and Bruce being in their old age? I guess we’ll see soon enough. But I think at best this will be either turned into a “what if” future like Futures End ended up being and no longer setting it in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep they’re bailing on 5G as it was. Will this mean they’re going to drop WW as the first hero? Clark and Bruce being in their old age? I guess we’ll see soon enough. But I think at best this will be either turned into a “what if” future like Futures End ended up being and no longer setting it in stone.
    They already established the Wonder Woman thing. So that’s thankfully sticking.
    Plus there’s this
    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Thought this was a cool image, at least of Gary Frank’s G1 Wonder Woman.

Attachment 93836

Its been established, but knowing DC I wouldn't be super confident that its definitely sticking. Even in a normal year, they change stuff about Diana willy nilly shortly after a previous change. Its why she's had virtually zero continuity in a continuity-based verse for the past few decades. No property is reshuffled on the reg quite like her. Its absolutely within the realm of possibility at this stage that they could retcon it out in no time flat if its no longer applicable to the updated regime's plans.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

No timeline means my interest is out the window. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    The timeline thing is being tossed? Figures, it was probably the most interesting thing about this initiative. But at the same time it did seem kinda impractical. So I get why they’d drop it.
    This seems less like "no timeline" and more like a less restrictive, flowy one. That's just may reading of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    No timeline means my interest is out the window. We'll see...
    The timeline was always a stupid idea. You’re going to set hard dates to events? That’s absolutely idiotic, anyone with a brain knew this could not last, except Didio apparently. Just tell us what’s canon and what’s not, all I want to know is what stories are in-canon so writers can start building on stuff instead of constantly playing guessing games. And it looks like we’re still getting that at least for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The timeline was always a stupid idea. You’re going to set hard dates to events? That’s absolutely idiotic, anyone with a brain knew this could not last, except Didio apparently. Just tell us what’s canon and what’s not, all I want to know is what stories are in-canon so writers can start building on stuff instead of constantly playing guessing games. And it looks like we’re still getting that at least for better or worse.
    Yeah honestly I wasn’t expecting say set hard dates, I’ve been in comics long enough to know that set dates would never stay set. That said so long as we know that certain events did happen, there is a reasonable sequence of time, and that certain characters are still alive/exist then I’m perfectly content. Like I could see someone just say that nebulously happened in the 80’s or 70’s then say that happened in 74.
    Last edited by sifighter; 02-28-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its been established, but knowing DC I wouldn't be super confident that its definitely sticking. Even in a normal year, they change stuff about Diana willy nilly shortly after a previous change. Its why she's had virtually zero continuity in a continuity-based verse for the past few decades. No property is reshuffled on the reg quite like her. Its absolutely within the realm of possibility at this stage that they could retcon it out in no time flat if its no longer applicable to the updated regime's plans.
    They could reveal that the Wonder Woman of the 30s/40s was Hippolyta if they want to change it at the 11th hour.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah honestly I wasn’t expecting say set hard dates, I’ve been in comics long enough to know that set dates would never stay set. That said so long as we know that certain events did happen, there is a reasonable sequence of time, and that certain characters are still alive/exist then I’m perfectly content. Like I could see someone just say that nebulously happened in the 80’s or 70’s then say that happened in 74.
    I wouldn’t even do that. Tying ongoing comic book events in any way shape or form to real world time is asking for trouble. Just say that the Judas Contract happened as it did in the comics, or that Batman has Year One or Zero Year as his canon origin, or that Superman did or didn’t have adventures with the Legion as a kid, but don’t say stuff like “this happened in the 50s”. Casuals don’t care about chronology and the nerds who get all worked up about this stuff will still poke holes in whatever you do, because continuity has never fit together perfectly and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    They could reveal that the Wonder Woman of the 30s/40s was Hippolyta if they want to change it at the 11th hour.
    I mean, they've done it before...