Page 8 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Where's the news? @Bored at 3AM's been on top of this for years.
    Thanks. I'm actually a little overwhelmed that DC appears to be taking the exact same approach to DCU history that I did. As my own little head canon, it worked perfectly for me, but the idea that DC was thinking the same thing seems to good to be true to be honest.

I'm cautiously optimistic about all this.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think they stole Bored's idea.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Ha! Yes, yes. My lawyers will be contacting them shortly

It's early days yet, but this sure looks like the best possible scenario in terms of approaching DC's continuity. Stop trying to make it realistic and logical and just go full-bore with how epic and superhero crazy it is. Even Marvel can't compete with how much variety and depth DC continuity has. Glad to see DC seems to have finally decided to stop running away from all that delicious comic book insanity and is embracing it.

Spectacular Member

But doomsday clock said superman is the first of all.
    Even then the DCU keep rebooted

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hkgkindaichi View Post
    But doomsday clock said superman is the first of all.
    Even then the DCU keep rebooted
    At this point Doomsday Clock isn't even canon or will be used as a catalyst for establishing this new timeline or whatever its going to be. I feel like DC is actually opening a whole new can of worms.

There are redacted bits in the charts. Maybe those are for Watchmen and what DDC changes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I can't believe they're going to actually make Dick in his 30s.
    If Dick became Robin 32 years ago, then he’d be in his 40s.

Even in isolation, these Generations don’t make much sense. Tim Drake wasn’t in his 20s during Infinite Crisis.

This kind of timeline only seems useful for someone writing about the history of the DC Multiverse and its Crisis events. It’s not useful information for whoever is writing Nightwing, where he’s clearly in his 20s.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Guys. I can't believe I missed it, but in the largest picture, above all the timeline, written in blue, it's said

DC CHARACTER TIMELINE
    8(something) YEARS REAL TIME (19something-2something) / 6(something) YEARS ELAPSED TIME

25+15+15+5=65
    The gen years are not real-time. Bruce is not 60, Dick is not 40. Tim is not 20.

It's right there. I can't believe I missed the biggest words XD
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-05-2019 at 04:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

What does that even mean though? If these years aren’t years, then what are they? Did Generation 2 begin 35 years ago or not? In the real world the Silver Age began over 60 years ago. So what are these 35 years supposed to be?

If they aren't year years, then they shoulda made it an 81 year timeline.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What does that even mean though? If these years aren’t years, then what are they? Did Generation 2 begin 35 years ago or not? In the real world, the Silver Age began over 60 years ago. So what are these 35 years supposed to be?
    Oh. Markers, I guess.

Or... just the way they name things since they've been doing Batman Year One, Superman Year One...

I only care that it's not real-time.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-05-2019 at 05:12 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm going to be perfectly honest here, I never understood why both fans and creators are always so obsessed with trying to make logical sense out of a fictional timeline that's been around for close to a century and rebooted or reimagined almost every decade. .
    Not a creator, but as fan I do it because it's fun.

These characters will always be around as long as this format exists, they will never grow old or get permanently killed off, or retire for good. What difference does it make whether something like "A Death In The Family" happened before or after another important Batman story. I just don't get it, why even go through the trouble of trying to make any sense out of a timeline like this
    I understand that your favorite character is Hal Jordan. Archetypicial, Silver Age, mostly originator of the current franchise. And when you look at him, this doesn't matter, you're right.

Now, let's take my favorite character, which is Wally West (but this logic applies to most legacy heroes, and some non legacy): without his history, he's not really Wally. You can't boil him down to an essential set of traits and just tell stories. His existence and status are dependent on the larger DCU. In this cases, it matters.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Okay. I got curious. Let's try this one.

Generation 1
    Year 1 Baby Clark crashed in Smallville
    Year 13 Clark becomes Superboy
    Year 18 Clark stops acting Superboy
    The timeline makes sense if Clark is Superboy starting the age 13 and stops at age 18

Year 6 Thomas and Martha Wayne married?
    Year 16 Thomas and Martha Wayne died
    Bruce lost his parents at 10 years old. Makes sense.

Then 9+ years pass

Generation 2
    Year 1 Batman and Superman debuts
    Bruce age 20
    Clark is 26

Year 3 Dick Grayson becomes Robin
    Year 15 Dick Grayson becomes Nightwing - Crisis on Infinite Earths
    If he starts at 10, he'll be 22 in Crisis
    If he starts at 8, he'll be 20
    Bruce is 35
    Clark is 41

Then Crisis happened, and everyone got younger. (No I don't care how much they got younger. I don't think DC does. Just go with what make sense to you)

Generation 3
    Year 5 or 6 Damian is conceived and born
    Year 14 Final Crisis Damian debuts
    Damian debuts at 10 years old, his standard age

Then Flashpoint happened, everyone got younger again.

Generation 4
    Year 2 Damian dies
    Year 3 Damian returns
    Damian is 13 years old

That sounds right?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-05-2019 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Guys. I can't believe I missed it, but in the largest picture, above all the timeline, written in blue, it's said

DC CHARACTER TIMELINE
    8(something) YEARS REAL TIME (19something-2something) / 6(something) YEARS ELAPSED TIME

25+15+15+5=65
    The gen years are not real-time. Bruce is not 60, Dick is not 40. Tim is not 20.

It's right there. I can't believe I missed the biggest words XD

That is interesting. Went back to look again. Looks like it says "82 YEARS REAL TIME (1938-2020) / 60 YEARS ELAPSED TIME."

So the generation years are realtime. But why condense it so little? Seems like the timeline should either be condensed a lot or not at all.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-05-2019 at 05:47 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That is interesting. Went back to look again. Looks like it says "82 YEARS REAL TIME (1938-2020) / 60 YEARS ELAPSED TIME."

So the generation years are realtime. But why condense it so little? Seems like the timeline should either be condensed a lot or not at all.
    Time shenanigans probably reset everyone's age at some point.

Incredible Member

I think we are being overly concerned with a timeline that hasn’t been revealed in full. Plus, what is here is NOT fully legible. I think waiting for the full and final reveal would be a good idea.