Page 47 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Wouldn’t Wonder Woman being active in WW1 contradict excellent Greg Rucka Wonder Woman run that was part of the Rebirth Relaunch?

Unless they keep it vague and leave it open to being Hippolitya like in post crisis but there probably going to say it’s Diana

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    What contradictions?
    The character's age and how they age, for one. Damian and Jon age realistically but the others age much slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    Wouldn’t Wonder Woman being active in WW1 contradict excellent Greg Rucka Wonder Woman run that was part of the Rebirth Relaunch?

Unless they keep it vague and leave it open to being Hippolitya like in post crisis but there probably going to say it’s Diana
    They're giving her a new origin to accommodate the new timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Considering how horrible this run was and how it paved the way for the pathetic showings of Diana ever since, ditching it will be for the best.
    Frankly I don't see Snyder delivering an origin that encapsulates the character as well as Rucka did, and any "pathetic showings" of Diana afterwards are more on the writer then Rucka's take on Diana.

It's not like she was faring much better prior with the New 52 under the Finches.

I liked Rucka's Year One for Wonder Woman. It's not my ideal (I like all the Amazons having same powers and am really not into the mythology-heavy Diana), but her characterization, Hippolyta's and Steve's, I thought it worked well. One the fence on the Cheetah bit - Barbara, pre-curse, was entertaining, but I don't like good characters cursed, am not fond of the sympathetic villain trope. Etta is whatever - just not really Etta as I think of her (I know golden age won't work now, but I'd prefer she at least be civilian and upbeat).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Frankly I don't see Snyder delivering an origin that encapsulates the character as well as Rucka did, and any "pathetic showings" of Diana afterwards are more on the writer then Rucka's take on Diana.

It's not like she was faring much better prior with the New 52 under the Finches.
    The problem wasn't the writer after Rucka. It was specifically Rucka. His Diana was terrible. He infantilised her to an inane degree and she became vastly weaker than she had been during the New52.
    #EmmaWasRight

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Considering how horrible this run was and how it paved the way for the pathetic showings of Diana ever since, ditching it will be for the best.
    Just like it was for the best that Azz's New 52 run was ditched

Scott Snyder likely isn't going to be an improvement considering his output so far.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    The problem wasn't the writer after Rucka. It was specifically Rucka. His Diana was terrible. He infantilised her to an inane degree and she became vastly weaker than she had been during the New52.
    None of that actually happened in the run though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Yeah, Rucka didn't make Robinson or Wilson write her the way they did.

She wasn't great in the New 52 by anyone besides Azzarello, and while he did alright by her he found other areas of her corner to mess up.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 01-18-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Fantastic Member

I know some people hated Azzerellos run because of some of the controversial changes to her origin and because they were mad at new 52 initiative as a whole but it was generally well received and despite the origin twists I thought the run was great.

Hearing people dumping on Rucka’s Wonder Woman is a new one for me though. He’s written two runs and both were well received I thought

And as people mentioned above if people are pinning on Snyder to give them the “definitive Wonder Woman take” your gonna be in for disappointment. He’s nowhere near the writers that both Rucka and Azzerello are. His comics are like JJ Abrams and Michael Bay are too film his stuff is mass market and sells but the actual writing is all hack nonsense
    Last edited by Wally West; 01-18-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    I know some people hated Azzerellos run because of some of the controversial changes to her origin and because they were mad at new 52 initiative as a whole but it was generally well received and despite the origin twists I thought the run was great.

Hearing people dumping on Rucka’s Wonder Woman is a new one for me though. He’s written two runs and both were well received I thought

And as people mentioned above if people are pinning on Snyder to give them the “definitive Wonder Woman take” your gonna be in for disappointment. He’s nowhere near the writers that both Rucka and Azzerello are. His comics are like JJ Abrams and Michael Bay are too film his stuff is mass market and sells but the actual writing is all hack nonsense
    Yep, both Azzarello and Rucka sold well and were received well critically. They tend to appeal to opposite sections of the fanbase, so any debates are largely just noise. And there is SOME overlap in people who like both. I'm critical of Azz, as there are a lot of things in his run I HATE, but it was a success for many when it came out. Ditto Rucka, which I loved for the most part but has detractors. Both seem to be successful in trades so maybe it cancels out.

But Snyder is going to fall far short of both of them. His output is just not anywhere near as impressive. I don't have much hopes for either Wonder Woman (who he hasn't exactly excelled at in JL) or the JSA if he is responsible for revamping them.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The story in WW #750 written by Snyder will be more likely a prelude to his JSA series than a new take on Diana's origin.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From DC Nation:

"Wonder Woman #750 is out on Wednesday and includes "A Brave New World" by @Ssnyder1835 @THEBRYANHITCH @SpicerColor @TENapolitano, a story set in the early days of the DCU's first superhero. And it starts like this..."

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/stat...03580823195648
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-21-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From DC Nation:

"Wonder Woman #750 is out on Wednesday and includes "A Brave New World" by @Ssnyder1835 @THEBRYANHITCH @SpicerColor @TENapolitano, a story set in the early days of the DCU's first superhero. And it starts like this..."

Omg yes, World's Fair! The first time Superman, Batman and Robin depicted on the cover together. Although they haven't existed in this continuity yet so it's just Diana now.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From DC Nation:

I’ll be honest I think that looks amazing. I’m interested in seeing where this goes personally.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

So, are all the current comics getting rebooted then, to account for this latest Crises thing?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    So, are all the current comics getting rebooted then, to account for this latest Crises thing?
    The exact answer is we don’t know yet. It’s honestly a lot of rumors and speculation/theories but there is enough out there to generally get the idea that DC is gonna do some time event in an attempt to plot out a timeline and it ages some characters while others get replaced with younger characters and I’m sure that there will be some returning or even new characters as well. However DC has said that the plan currently is to go with legacy numbering and if they are to be believed I assume the younger characters just take over books like Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman whenever the crisis occurs.

https://www.newsarama.com/48568-more...and-flash.html
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-20-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.