Page 58 of 93 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Personally, I'm THRILLED about this announcement. DC has needed to do something like this for a long time.

A big mega-series like this will provide a roadmap for the DCU history, versus screwing it up one writer at a time.
    Give us the broad strokes and stick to it. Particularly if we're moving into the new 5G age, there needs to be a strong base for the history
    so we aren't constantly navel-gazing at why things don't line up.

Let Death Metal be the last hurrah for the current age, and then let's go forward.
    See this is what I totally agree with you on and what I really like about this idea. Just one big series of events that line-up all together to tell you what is in continuity, who exists,what is coming up, and even who is new to the universe. I feel like its such a straight forward idea to explain the history without rebooting it. Of course we can probably expect one or two retcons here or there but lets face it thats pretty standard for comics at this point.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But we know DC won't stick to it.

I mean does anyone expect 5G to last long? Is DC really going to keep Bruce as an old man, who isn't even Batman, in their main line of books for a long time? I can't imagine that. So when 5G ends what is DC's next plan? Are they going to reboot again to age all their characters back down and put them back in their normal roles? But then that make this whole different generations thing and trying to fit everything in with aging their characters up kind of meaningless.

I don't have any hope for this, but I kind of have a hard time wrapping my head around what DC is going to do when they want things to go back to normal.
    This DCYOU if the biggest example and I don't expect G5 to last more than 3 years.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Well all the current legacy characters are going to get screwed over in this, aren't they ?
    I'm still sticking with the idea we'll get multiple books in different generations, like we know we are getting a wonder woman/jsa book set in gen 1. It would be weird if that was the only book not set in the G5 timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    This DCYOU if the biggest example and I don't expect G5 to last more than 3 years.
    DCYOU lasted around 20 issues I want to say? I think the Grayson series was one of the series that kicked off DCYOU and it ended after 20 issues, but only 17 of that was by the original creative team who left early to go work on Rebirth.

I'd be stunned if 5G lasts over 2 years. The last time there was a big push to have "legacy" characters take over a bigger role at DC it was during the DickBats era right after Final Crisis. That lasted around 2 years I think and sales fell to where they wanted to reboot everything with the New 52. So I guess it will all depend if 5G sells or not. I feel like readers are going to get confused if DC puts out a lot of different books set in different generations. Like they would be confused why Bruce is old and not Batman in the Batman book, but is Batman and younger in the JL book. But I dunnno. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'm still sticking with the idea we'll get multiple books in different generations, like we know we are getting a wonder woman/jsa book set in gen 1. It would be weird if that was the only book not set in the G5 timeline.
    Are we still getting that book though? Snyder has said he’s stepping away and he was the one rumored to be writing it.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Oh yeah I don't expect it to last too long and I won't know the real quality of it until we get series and creative team announcements. However I am gonna try to enjoy myself and don't need it to last forever, I just need some good stories.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Are we still getting that book though? Snyder has said he’s stepping away and he was the one rumored to be writing it.
    Snyder just means he's not writing as mucha as DC books as he has. From how excited he has been to work on JSA from certain interviews over the past year, it would be weird if he suddenly dropped it now. Thinking about it, I could have sworn he already had a artist working on it( possibly francis manapaul?)

BANNED

Expected to go on until 2026. Then can they de-age and reboot Superman again later on.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    Prepare for a hot Bendis injection!

I think this and DC's plans for the future have finally brought me to the point where I'm not even gonna read news articles about it, let alone pay for and read the books themselves. BMB pushed me away from Marvel years ago and they honestly never recovered, and I'm not even interested in watching the same thing happen at DC. I guess I've been aged out and around too long not to notice the same bad trick continually being played. Like a lot of long-running franchises, it's time to put what I loved about these properties in a timeless box and then walk away. Sorry to vent.
    Y'all hate BMB for no reason because why do y'all keep pinning this on him?

It would be impressive though if Luke Fox’s era as Batman actually lasts longer than Dick (or Jim for that matter) tenure. Seeing as he’s so much less known/popular than them.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Y'all hate BMB for no reason because why do y'all keep pinning this on him?
    Bendis is a continuity destructor so I understand why BruceWayneJr is pissed off when DC make him write a comic who is supposed to fix continuity....

I determine how I feel about Bendis on a story by story basis. Sometimes he’s really good, sometimes he’s ok but with fun ideas, and other times he is kind of bad. Superman and Action Comics are pretty good at times though they’ve had rough issues, I like Young Justice, I still have to see where Legion goes, and Leviathan was just bad(though with an interesting idea) because he kind of spun a circle for six issues and hasn’t even really concluded it besides revealing the villain. He’s written a lot I like, but he’s got his faults so I will wait and see how he does here.
    Words to live by.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Bendis has faults but he's like the first person mentioned and the first to get dragged when really all this mess DC got themselves in has nothing to do with him. All I see is people blaming him for 5g and this new timeline for no reason.

I'm glad we're getting a timeline because nothing made sense since the New 52. At this point whether I'm barely invested in DC so in eager to see where this goes.

Oh well when you put it like that yeah, that’s kind of unfair to put on Bendis. Sure he can have problems, but yeah timeline problems are currently an issue because New 52 happened and they were very unclear of what had occurred, Rebirth was a good start in trying to make sense of it all but I appreciate the idea of a official timeline to make sense of it all.
    Words to live by.

BANNED

I generally like bendis superman but the only thing that I wish he didn't do was to age Jon up and make lois and clark to live separately and instead tell the stories with them as a family.