Page 60 of 93 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There's going to have to be changes across the timeline, just to rectify differences in continuity. The Kents being dead for the original 50 years, then alive in 1986, stuff like that will have to change, or at least be adjusted and shifted to make some vague sense.

We don't get Superman or Batman in the Golden Age, they show up with the Silver Age crew, apparently. So yeah, there'll be changes. And even within a particular era/generation there's changes. I don't believe there was ever a story in the Golden Age about a hero turning evil, nor was there any "big bang" event (which I'm hoping means Milestone).

The question is not whether DC will change the history but how much they change. I'm intrigued by the idea of a continuity that (mostly) follows the real time publishing history, but if DC makes too many changes then it's not real time history anymore. And in the end, I'm only going to get books if they look interesting on their own merits. I'll be all over an old school Batman book, but it would take a small miracle for me to read about Luke Fox in the role.
    This is a good point. If everything is canon or everything counts, like some people at DC have been saying, what do they do with things like Batman, Superman, or even Robin being created in the Golden Age? Do they have any memory of those original Golden Age stories back when they happened, or are those stories just going to be pushed up to being Silver Age stories now? If so then that is a big shift in how the universe unfolded chronologically if that is their gold of this whole endeavor.

I'm not really interested in 5G but how they decide certain things I am curious about. Like how old will all the Robins be? That is a good example of how the different generations will be spread out. Dick should be much, much older than the rest of them while Jason and Tim should be very close in age if they are going by chronological age, but I don't know if DC will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I thought it was one one-shot per generation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It is. No idea where vasir got "multiple" from.
    That is what I meant. Bad wording on my part

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    This is a good point. If everything is canon or everything counts, like some people at DC have been saying, what do they do with things like Batman, Superman, or even Robin being created in the Golden Age? Do they have any memory of those original Golden Age stories back when they happened, or are those stories just going to be pushed up to being Silver Age stories now? If so then that is a big shift in how the universe unfolded chronologically if that is their gold of this whole endeavor.

I'm not really interested in 5G but how they decide certain things I am curious about. Like how old will all the Robins be? That is a good example of how the different generations will be spread out. Dick should be much, much older than the rest of them while Jason and Tim should be very close in age if they are going by chronological age, but I don't know if DC will do that.
    Well, one of the generations is the "age of Crisis" or something, so I'm willing to bet that at least some people will know time has been manipulated and changed at various points. They might not remember those other lives (or they might, at least to a degree?) but they'll at least know something happened. But the 5G timeline will be considered the "correct" one, and other continuities will be treated the same way DC treats a single storyline that changes time temporarily, like when Booster screwed up history recently in King's Batman run.

I figure DC will treat it the same way they did the New52. That was the "real" history, the stuff that Barry remembered from pre-52 was just a "temporal glitch" or "altered history" or whatever.

I dunno. I figure this is probably not going to last too long. Even if the idea, conceptually, could be sustained long-term I dont think DC has the juice to actually pull it off and keep readers interested. They'll fumble, as they often do, and reboot again. If rumors are true and the publishing line focuses entirely on the new generation replacing the classic heroes, it'll fail within six months. Well, 12-18 months anyway.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-17-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

No reality or time changes happen in universe for this new timeline.

They just try to make a timeline where most things happened, of course some re arrangement as well. And tech advanced greatly.

They could introduce other things to slow down the adults aging.

Since they're calling Death Metal an "anti-crisis" I would imagine the affects of the reboots are mostly reversed. It could very well be that the new timeline is one ongoing stream. Would make what the third age something of a mystery until the one shot comes out though. Maybe it's just the time when a lot of bad things were happening but just didn't reset the clock this time?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    No reality or time changes happen in universe for this new timeline.
    You phrase all of your DC timeline posts as though you have final, definitive, insider information. Do you?

The early version of the timeline that was shown off says "Booster aware of timeline changes, vanishes" and "5 year compression".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There's going to have to be changes across the timeline, just to rectify differences in continuity. The Kents being dead for the original 50 years, then alive in 1986, stuff like that will have to change, or at least be adjusted and shifted to make some vague sense.

We don't get Superman or Batman in the Golden Age, they show up with the Silver Age crew, apparently. So yeah, there'll be changes. And even within a particular era/generation there's changes. I don't believe there was ever a story in the Golden Age about a hero turning evil, nor was there any "big bang" event (which I'm hoping means Milestone).

The question is not whether DC will change the history but how much they change. I'm intrigued by the idea of a continuity that (mostly) follows the real time publishing history, but if DC makes too many changes then it's not real time history anymore. And in the end, I'm only going to get books if they look interesting on their own merits. I'll be all over an old school Batman book, but it would take a small miracle for me to read about Luke Fox in the role.
    They'll have to change a lot, since some characters who died in the original stories are still alive and kicking(though they could just kill those characters off between now and 5G) and some stories may be contradictory currently.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    DC PRESENTS GENERATION ONE: AGE OF MYSTERIES

The Charge Towards DC’s Future Continues!

Series of Five One-Shot Comics Spotlight DC’s Super Hero Heritage, While Revealing Secrets that Will Shape its Future!

The path to DC’s future continues to unfold in Generation One: Age of Mysteries! On sale in May, Generation One: Age of Mysteries is the first of five oversized Prestige format one-shots, each detailing a different age in DC’s storied, super heroic legacy!

Generation One: Age of Mysteries follows DC’s Generation Zero: Gods Among Us, in stores on Free Comic Book Day 2020.

“The Generation series of specials are built to bring the new DC timeline to life,” said DC Publisher Dan DiDio. “With Generation One: Age of Mysteries and every subsequent volume we’ll be shining a spotlight on the 80-plus-year publishing history of the DC universe while charting the course for the bright future of DC’s characters. All of our greatest stories and events will create the backdrop and context for the great new adventures we have planned. Everything counts, and we guarantee there’ll be surprises along the way!”

Readers of Generation One: Age of Mysteries will witness firsthand major events from throughout the history of the DC universe as seen through the eyes of characters like Wonder Woman, Lucius Fox, Alfred Pennyworth, Green Lantern (Alan Scott), The Spectre (Jim Corrigan), Mister Terrific (Terry Sloane), and others. The series of one-shots will also expose secrets from DC’s history, such as:

- What was the previously undocumented “big bang” of the Age of Mysteries?
    - Which character truly ushers in the dawn of Super Heroes, inspiring all the rest?
    - What was the real reason behind the Justice Society of America’s retirement?
    - Which Golden Age hero will become history’s greatest villain?
    - What contentious alliance kept the Wayne family dynasty alive after Thomas and Martha’s deaths?
    - Who are the new, never-seen-before wildcards that will be instrumental in fashioning DC’s push to the future?

These five books will have all the answers to these questions, setting up DC’s boldest storylines ever while laying the groundwork for more excitement to come. The five Generation issues will feature a who’s who of creative talent, with an overarching story by Brian Michael Bendis, Dan Jurgens, Andy Schmidt, Robert Venditti, and Joshua Williamson, illustrated by artists including Doug Mahnke, Bryan Hitch, Mikel Janín, Ivan Reis, David Marquez, and more.

Generation One: Age of Mysteries is scripted by Andy Schmidt, with lead art by Doug Mahnke. Each of DC’s Generation one-shots will feature a cover by Jim Cheung and a variant cover by Gary Frank. Generation Two: Age of the Metahuman, Generation Three: Age of Crisis, Generation Four: Age of Rebirth and Generation Five: Age of Tomorrow will follow monthly after Generation One: Age of Mysteries.

Source: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/0...e-of-mysteries
    This really feels like we're staring down the barrel of a shotgun.

Why are people so obsessed with timelines for 80 year old characters? Just enjoy em.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-18-2020 at 04:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"Which Golden Age hero will become history’s greatest villain?"

I didn't know there's someone like that. My first thought was just Alexander Luthor and Superboy-Prime but they're not Golden.

"What contentious alliance kept the Wayne family dynasty alive after Thomas and Martha’s deaths?"

I didn't know we need this. The Wayne family dynasty was kept alive by Alfred leaving his own daughter in London to take care of someone else's son and assets. That is enough.

Though maybe they want to add Jacob Kane into the mix, now that they're established as a family but don't yet have a story of deeper involvement.

But, already, DC. All you need to do is adjust a few things to fit the new timeline, not make up unnecessary things.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-18-2020 at 04:08 AM.

I mean, it's comics. They'll always be "secret histories" to uncover which are just excuses to launch new stories.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I mean, it's comics. They'll always be "secret histories" to uncover which are just excuses to launch new stories.
    I mean that's the only thing that makes this kind of thing interesting. Who wants to read a spreadsheet with a list of dates to wacky nonsense events anyway?

BANNED

Terry Sloane.

Or something similar to the Golden Age elseworlds.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    This really feels like we're staring down the barrel of a shotgun.

Why are people so obsessed with timelines for 80 year old characters? Just enjoy em.
    It’s just a new era, we’ll see how it works till we get a full on reboot again.

To be fair, a timeline is kinda more than needed after this whole New52/Rebirth thing made everything unclear which is starting to actively disturb stories. Many changes also need to be done and undone.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    To be fair, a timeline is kinda more than needed after this whole New52/Rebirth thing made everything unclear which is starting to actively disturb stories. Many changes also need to be done and undone.
    Everything is unclear since IC, imo.