Page 40 of 93 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I think it's actually a good thing, that last bit. it"s a change coming in over a year still. it leaves them plenty of times to make it evolve yet. If the overwhelming answer by fans is "i'm okay with 5G as long as you also publish plenty of books with the classic characters" then i think we'll have a higher opportunity to have new long-lasting character because fans who do'nt like change much won't be deprived of their characters.
    I think the clincher will be how much DC themselves is willing to publish.

If they won't even give Wally West a proper solo book of his own (the current mini doesn't count in my opinion) then I don't see them publishing more then one Flash book once they do the switch to 5G!Flash.

"I’m told the timeline is a by-product of what’s coming. But also that it really really wasn’t supposed to be revealed onscreen. And no one realised that, even when it was, that Bleeding Cool and friends would be able to read it.

Because here’s the other thing. I am told that when it was put up on those screens, it wasn’t the final timeline, but an out of date version.
    How can they make it public and not expect the more dedicated fan to at least try to look? Although I admit that the people who were able to get so much out of this had much better eyesight that me.

Of course, it generated lots of fan talk, and that's usually a plus. DiDio doesn't even care if it's negative talk, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From Bleeding Cool:

"I’m told the timeline is a by-product of what’s coming. But also that it really really wasn’t supposed to be revealed onscreen. And no one realised that, even when it was, that Bleeding Cool and friends would be able to read it.

Because here’s the other thing. I am told that when it was put up on those screens, it wasn’t the final timeline, but an out of date version.

Which means what we managed to see may well be subject to change. Oh and some of those changes may now be as a result of certain fan reactions."

Full article: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...con-not-ready/
    I really don't see much they can change before I guess spacing. It's pretty much "everything happened" with a few tweaks. I don't see them saying Wonder Woman isn't the first anymore after already announcing it. I guess they just need to configure it all to make logical sense. No big deal, since it's what most figured.

Most fan reaction has been less about the timeline and more of it's implications in 5G.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    How can they make it public and not expect the more dedicated fan to at least try to look? Although I admit that the people who were able to get so much out of this had much better eyesight that me.

Of course, it generated lots of fan talk, and that's usually a plus. DiDio doesn't even care if it's negative talk, it seems.
    But it does help to get some feedback from the general community, which is why I wouldn't be surprise if TPTB are reading OUR comments on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    But it does help to get some feedback from the general community, which is why I wouldn't be surprise if TPTB are reading OUR comments on this subject.
    Maybe. It also comes down to that they are going to hear from the ones already invested in the fandom and not so much the casual fan or potential new fans (who potentially could generation more $$$). And we're generally older than they're aiming for, too. Though maybe that's changed in recent years - I haven't looked up the demographics in a quite a few years. I think my wants are generally more in touch with longer-fanbase folks, but I'm not sure if that's what's best for DC as a company.

Incredible Member

My thoughts, thus far:

An Infinity, Inc. book would work if it was set in the immediate past, when the JSA were "away" (most likely retired). The book would be a limited series, and would end with the death of the original Star Spangled Kid/Star Man (but shortly before the founding of the Justice League of America).

The majority of the Fawcett characters are trapped in Suspendium (thanks to Dr. Sivana). Ideally, I want to keep the golden age aspect of the original Marvel Family in order to highlight the "fish out of water" aspect as a selling point. I would also highlight that the side-effects of being exposed to Suspendium is reduced aging, which is why Billy could still be a kid, even after being around for years. I would also graduate Billy to become the "new" Shazam!, as he begins the process of taking over the role of guardian of the RoE, after the final death of the previous "Shazam!". At that point, I would expand the ranks of the Marvel Family to include Darla, Pedro and Eugene for the modern generation somehow.

I would use Batman's "death" at the hands of Darkseid, coupled with Bat Metal, to have it that there have always been a "Batman". My preference would be that it has always been Bruce Wayne (in one form or another), fighting crime and scheming behind the scenes to stay one step-ahead of everyone else. And, for each of these Batmen, you develop their own unique rogues gallery and allies, for that generation.

Wonder Woman being the first public superhero is fine, though I would have her appear during the first world war, like the movie. Later, she can pop up again for world war 2, and inspire a new generation to a call to arms.

For Superman, I just want him to be Superboy, as well as a member of the Legion. I liked the storyline that had him meet his old friends, and you could taste the history he had with the other legionaires (including Garth ribbing Clark for still being such a straight lace, in a joking fashion).

That's it for not. This was fun to speculate...

Astonishing Member

Wait,so the timeline we see now isn't even the final product?

BANNED

It's not finished because the empty blocks need to be filled in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    It's not finished because the empty blocks need to be filled in.
    Would DC get rid of some of the events that are already on the timeline because it got leaked early?

BANNED

I don't think so.

Astonishing Member

Obviously, it was leaked to get fan reactions. If they didn't expect people to read it, portions of it wouldn't have been redacted. By leaking this working draft, they can still shuffle events around (within or even between "generations") if people complain that this particular ordering of things really gets under their skin. New events can be added and ones that are shown can be changed or even dropped. This helps prevent a new Crisis of Negative Fan Reaction.

Well, if they're gauging fan reaction, I'll just throw my two cents in and say that this is almost perfect. I don't care about trying to make sure the ages line up. I just want everything to have happened.

Also, I's like to reiterate that based on this timeline, Gen 4 is not nearly far along enough to start a new chapter, and doing so would indicate a lack of confidence and undermine these eras.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Well, if they're gauging fan reaction, I'll just throw my two cents in and say that this is almost perfect. I don't care about trying to make sure the ages line up. I just want everything to have happened.

Also, I's like to reiterate that based on this timeline, Gen 4 is not nearly far along enough to start a new chapter, and doing so would indicate a lack of confidence and undermine these eras.
    To be fair, I feel like a lot more happened in gen 4 then they wrote down in the chart. There was a full decade of stories that they don't really mention.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From Bleeding Cool:

Which means what we managed to see may well be subject to change. Oh and some of those changes may now be as a result of certain fan reactions."

Full article: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...con-not-ready/
    Seems like that "leak" was definitely by design. They knew the internet fan community would go wild for it. They knew the fans would pour over the pictures and cobble together the timeline. Then the internet debates and reacts to the timeline. Meanwhile, DC sits back and watches how people react, and more importantly, can steal the best ideas and take the best criticism to heart and rework the timeline so it is even better.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Seems like that "leak" was definitely by design. They knew the internet fan community would go wild for it. They knew the fans would pour over the pictures and cobble together the timeline. Then the internet debates and reacts to the timeline. Meanwhile, DC sits back and watches how people react, and more importantly, can steal the best ideas and take the best criticism to heart and rework the timeline so it is even better.
    Not to mention they need something big for fans to talk about and speculate on while Marvel has everyone thinking about Hickman's X-Men. Doomsday Clock basically only gets discussed a week before release and a couple after. They have nothing generating that Marvel buzz, but this clearly did.