Page 34 of 93 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Scott Snyder about his next project with Capullo:

So with this, like with the thing we're talking about post that it's more of a giant party, a love letter to the DCU. “Let's make everything that we've been doing over the last number of years make sense,” kind of stuff. I don't feel the same pressure about being judged on it because it’s taking all these threads that we've been building and playing with and some from other books, from everywhere, and say “everything you've read matters.” Everything from like the last Crisis on Infinite Earths to now matters.

https://www.newsarama.com/47327-scot...hts-metal.html

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I think there was a time where Superman did leave Earth around 2000, but I forget which story arc.
    Exile, when he left due to having a mental breakdown after killing Zod.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Very cool
    Has this all been confirmed, or did you fill some of the gaps yourself?
    There's not a whole lot of gaps to fill in. Aside from the rejiggering of the respective debuts of the Trinity, the timeline appears to be a straight up recounting of the publishing history of the DCU.

Argh.

I said OF, but meant &.
    I shouldn't write when I'm so tired.

Well, another thing I noticed. No mention of Chris / Lor-Zod that I can read, so I gues they retconned him entirely. I have bad luck with the characters I tend to like.

EDIT: damn myself, I did mean OF in my last post: I was talking about the first item, not the second one.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-09-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    There's not a whole lot of gaps to fill in. Aside from the rejiggering of the respective debuts of the Trinity, the timeline appears to be a straight up recounting of the publishing history of the DCU.
    Pretty much. The only real 'retcons' here are Wonder Woman being the first hero, and Superboy (and a young Bruce Wayne) being around during the time of the JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Some other things got switched around, too, right - like Dick's time as Batman being moved to after Flashpoint? Anyway, it's the time frame that gets me - I could understand 40-45 years or 82 years, but 60 is just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Scott Snyder about his next project with Capullo:

So with this, like with the thing we're talking about post that it's more of a giant party, a love letter to the DCU. “Let's make everything that we've been doing over the last number of years make sense,” kind of stuff. I don't feel the same pressure about being judged on it because it’s taking all these threads that we've been building and playing with and some from other books, from everywhere, and say “everything you've read matters.” Everything from like the last Crisis on Infinite Earths to now matters.

https://www.newsarama.com/47327-scot...hts-metal.html
    That definitely fits Snyder's approach, whether it makes any sense or not...but I guess they're trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Some other things got switched around, too, right - like Dick's time as Batman being moved to after Flashpoint? Anyway, it's the time frame that gets me - I could understand 40-45 years or 82 years, but 60 is just odd.
    The killing joke too, was moved in the timeline. A few other things were. Supergirl's story, I think, is another one.

I think it's kind of like how Marvel passes time. Just don't think about too much and hand wave the passage of time away. The main thing that matters are the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I think it's kind of like how Marvel passes time. Just don't think about too much and hand wave the passage of time away. The main thing that matters are the actual events.
    Well, to me the passage of time matters - especially in regards to characters' relative ages. Time-slide is expected, but real-word events (wars and such) have to disappear from backstories when they are too far in the past. But relative ages are the most important to me. I need everyone to age at a consistent rate.

But, really, the idea that I find timing important in a timeline isn't shocking. But, of course, I don't know that anyone in authority actually called it a timeline.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-09-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Start over with whom and what is the question
    From the current period.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Dick was Batman II in the New 52 canon as well, he’s just been treated so poorly since then that you wouldn’t know it lol. Either way, it makes sense to keep it after Flashpoint as it’s still directly canon to Gen 4.

60 is a good age for Superman and the Golden Age cast, since they’ll mostly be too old to be active heroes, while the Silver Age ones are old enough to have families take up their time. Gen 3 characters like Tim would be old enough to be on the JLA in time for a Gen 5, if that’s where they take this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Dick was Batman II in the New 52 canon as well, he’s just been treated so poorly since then that you wouldn’t know it lol. Either way, it makes sense to keep it after Flashpoint as it’s still directly canon to Gen 4.
    Not sure why that should mean it makes sense. Dick and Damian became Batman and Robin following Batman's "death" in Final Crisis, so if they keep that it makes little sense to not have it happen until after Flashpoint when Bruce was already back as Batman.

If they want these events to matter again it would make sense to put them in the order that is supported by the books and only change the things you WANT to change into something completely new. It makes it easier for both old and new fans.

Well, to me the passage of time matters - especially in regards to characters' relative ages. Time-slide is expected, but real-word events (wars and such) have to disappear from backstories when they are too far in the past. But relative ages are the most important to me. I need everyone to age at a consistent rate.

But, really, the idea that I find timing important in a timeline isn't shocking. But, of course, I don't know that anyone in authority actually called it a timeline.
    Then you might as well tap out of Big 2 comics because what you want is never going to happen. Even if this “5G” stunt is what we think it is, Bruce Wayne will be back in the Batsuit as a 20-30 year old soon enough.

Either way, it makes sense to keep it after Flashpoint as it’s still directly canon to Gen 4.
    Not saying it doesn't make sense. Just saying it's not the same order as before - it's something that's been moved (along with Damian's debut as Robin).

Now I'm wondering how the changes change things. If they actually exist. We have Supergirl's death and something with Supergirl the year Jon is born. But do any of the other Supergirls exist in between? If not, I wonder how they played the Clark-in-the-rubble bit. I mean, there are plenty of alternatives, I just wonder which they'll choose. If it's ever addressed.

Of course they don't hit the life events for lesser characters. I want to know when/if Roy's addiction was. If Donna ever married or had a son. When Ralph married. Obviously, many of the things I want to know are not big enough events to make a "overview" type timeline, but I hope there's more detailed information forthcoming. Sadly, I'll bet they dropped some of the things I liked - I know they've restored some I didn't like. But that's the way things go.