Page 39 of 93 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Taken at face value, yeah.

WAY earlier in this thread, I came up with the idea that the Post-COIE Superman, had he aged in real-time following Byrne's reboot, would have been 60 today. But it seems that the present-day in this timeline is 1998 and not 2019, and this timeline's version of Clark became Superman in 1963 and not in the mid-80's so...
    Yeah, he's 24ish again come MOS, right?

So he's 54?

Is that right?

Why is it 1998 and not 2019?

I'm too tired and lazy to do the math and you seem like a nice person who's happy to explain and brighter than I

Quote Originally Posted by lawman View Post
    Actually, I think that underscores why it wouldn't work. Because I, as a reader, pretty much always notice this sort of thing... and it drives me up a wall, and often pulls me out of the story. Sure, it's fantasy fiction, but even in fantasy fiction the characters need to be relatable on a human level. This sort of thing would make them much less so.
    To each their own. It has never had being a problem for me. It's corporative media from the old days, when stuff for the Sundays wasn't serialised and making sense across the years wasn't necessary, it's going to be tons of inconsistencies. Same as most TV series from the 70's and so. I like reading old materials, and are used to just roll with it.

And they're still relatable to me. They're not real beings, so they cannot be as "whole" as a real person is. I'm not going to ask the to be that much consistent.

In any case, my idea was too complex to work with the general audience, and relies too much on abstract concepts, I guess; so I really, really, really doubt that's going to be something like that.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-11-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Actually, I think that underscores why it wouldn't work. Because I, as a reader, pretty much always notice this sort of thing... and it drives me up a wall, and often pulls me out of the story. Sure, it's fantasy fiction, but even in fantasy fiction the characters need to be relatable on a human level. This sort of thing would make them much less so.
    I agree. And that's before we get to (seemingly) WWII being 60 years ago. I just can't fathom anyone reading about WWII and not thinking "1940s" and/or doing math comparing release-date to past years mentioned to get ages and how long ago stuff was, etc.

For me, the rules within the fiction need to be solid and make sense. They don't have to be real-world rules, necessarily (everyone can remember past lives for example would be acceptable), but they need to be consistent and they need to make logical sense (though not scientific sense - I'm not that strict). It's why I have trouble with No Man's Land or City of Bane - they don't make logical sense and fly against established characterization (all heroes just leave Gotham to suffer). I know NML was really popular, but I couldn't get past the premise.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Again, I'm not against a JSA book set in the past, but I'd also like a modern team with the "kids."
    Wouldn't that be Infinity, Inc.?

It's probably not a good idea to dilute the Justice Society brand with two books with conflicting premises.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    okay, i'll bite.

Where's the news about this modern JSA book?
    there is none, this whole thread is just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Wouldn't that be Infinity, Inc.?

It's probably not a good idea to dilute the Justice Society brand with two books with conflicting premises.
    I'm not even saying it's what I'd want, just that it could potentially be one way of incorporating the JSA legacies if they're sticking the originals firmly in WWII.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not even saying it's what I'd want, just that it could potentially be one way of incorporating the JSA legacies if they're sticking the originals firmly in WWII.
    I'm saying it's what I want! What's the point of bringing the JSA back into continuity on our primary Earth if they're going to be stuck in the past anyway? I like the idea of stories being in WWII, but I also want to see Wildcat teaching Selina to box or Jay talking with Wally about Bart. I want to see Superman mention he used to spend Saturday nights with Pa Kent watching old cassettes of Green Lantern his dad recorded from news reels.

If they were just going to be sequestered to their own niche, why not just Earth 2? They're arguably better used there where there's no defined next phase to dictate how each plot will likely resolve before it even unfolds.

Again, still excited for the JSA. Very likely going to add it to my pull list, but consider me disappointed that we're playing it so safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm saying it's what I want! What's the point of bringing the JSA back into continuity on our primary Earth if they're going to be stuck in the past anyway? I like the idea of stories being in WWII, but I also want to see Wildcat teaching Selina to box or Jay talking with Wally about Bart. I want to see Superman mention he used to spend Saturday nights with Pa Kent watching old cassettes of Green Lantern his dad recorded from news reels.

If they were just going to be sequestered to their own niche, why not just Earth 2? They're arguably better used there where there's no defined next phase to dictate how each plot will likely resolve before it even unfolds.

Again, still excited for the JSA. Very likely going to add it to my pull list, but consider me disappointed that we're playing it so safe.
    I think we can get at least some of that given the new timeline seems to be setting everyone's careers much earlier, but only if the actual interest is there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    Yeah, he's 24ish again come MOS, right?

So he's 54?

Is that right?

Why is it 1998 and not 2019?

I'm too tired and lazy to do the math and you seem like a nice person who's happy to explain and brighter than I
    So MOS leads into the relaunched Superman title from 1987. If we assume that the ending of MOS is set in 1987, and given that Clark was stated as being 28 at the time, it means he'd have been born in 1959. Which would make him 60 in 2019 if he'd aged in real-time.

But the new timeline, while it coincidentially ends with a 60 year old Superman, doesn't line up with that chronology because it starts in 1938 and ends in 1998...

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From Bleeding Cool:

"I’m told the timeline is a by-product of what’s coming. But also that it really really wasn’t supposed to be revealed onscreen. And no one realised that, even when it was, that Bleeding Cool and friends would be able to read it.

Because here’s the other thing. I am told that when it was put up on those screens, it wasn’t the final timeline, but an out of date version.

Which means what we managed to see may well be subject to change. Oh and some of those changes may now be as a result of certain fan reactions."

Full article: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...con-not-ready/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From Bleeding Cool:

"I’m told the timeline is a by-product of what’s coming. But also that it really really wasn’t supposed to be revealed onscreen. And no one realised that, even when it was, that Bleeding Cool and friends would be able to read it.

Because here’s the other thing. I am told that when it was put up on those screens, it wasn’t the final timeline, but an out of date version.

Which means what we managed to see may well be subject to change. Oh and some of those changes may now be as a result of certain fan reactions."

Well, we already expected that, didn't we?

Incredible Member

Is it safe to assume there will be an "event" to install this timeline?

Im looking to redo my pull list and i cant be bothered with another stupid "the universe has collapsed/exploded/shifted/ transmorphed into a dream in detective chimps tears" style parade of nonsense.

"Which means what we managed to see may well be subject to change. Oh and some of those changes may now be as a result of certain fan reactions."
    Honestly, that was my hope and one of the reasons I've found it interesting to figure out what it said. If we can help fix some of the minor switches that makes no sense, then that's a big plus. The bigger changes that seem to be done deliberately and not just the result of bad research is another thing.

From Bleeding Cool:

I wonder how fan reactions might change some things...the most "controversial" thing I can think of is dating certain heroes and certain characters not mentioned, or maybe condensing the Young Justice generation, but that's about it.

I wonder if they won't publish the final version until the end of Snyder's next Crisis event when they implement it.

From Bleeding Cool:

I think it's actually a good thing, that last bit. it"s a change coming in over a year still. it leaves them plenty of times to make it evolve yet. If the overwhelming answer by fans is "i'm okay with 5G as long as you also publish plenty of books with the classic characters" then i think we'll have a higher opportunity to have new long-lasting character because fans who do'nt like change much won't be deprived of their characters.