Page 61 of 93 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It’s just a new era, we’ll see how it works till we get a full on reboot again.
    DC's never done a full on reboot before though. They've only ever done a bunch of half assed reboots where they rebooted some things and didn't reboot others which has led to continuity problems since Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Everything is unclear since IC, imo.
    Infinite Crisis?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    DC's never done a full on reboot before though. They've only ever done a bunch of half assed reboots where they rebooted some things and didn't reboot others which has led to continuity problems since Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    Which makes me wonder if them calling this an anti-crisis, touching on the past ones is them realizing this?

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Which makes me wonder if them calling this an anti-crisis, touching on the past ones is them realizing this?
    I think it's a few things.

DC certainly knows that they've never done a full reboot, and they know why; you don't mess with a book/franchise that's doing well, and there are popular characters who can't exist without some history already being established.

I imagine their claims that this is an "anti-crisis" is also in large part marketing. People hate the word reboot now. No one wants another Crisis that'll leave us spending the next few years trying to figure out a continuity that was broken before it even saw print. Hell, we've been doing that non-stop since 2011. So saying this is an anti-crisis is an attempt to tell people that things will be different this time. They promise!

And most Crisis events are subtractive. They take stuff away, start over, blah blah blah. This whole 5G thing is looking to be additive; they're putting stuff back in. Built off the "missing decade" subplot with Manhattan, DC can claim that this is the opposite of a reboot. It's not; it's a reboot that just happens to be more welcoming of the past. But we can already see plenty of brand new things being introduced (Golden Ager gone evil, big bang, etc) and big changes to continuity (Clark and Bruce not appearing until the Silver Age, etc). So this is absolutely a reboot, but DC wants us to think it's a return of all that history we love.

And hell, some of us have been using the term anti-crisis to describe the Manhattan thing since before Doomsday Clock's first issue hit the stands.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

You have a big point there. Hopefully this approach can makes things more even/stable. Trying to cram all of Batman and Green Lantern history into the five years and then cheery-picking for everyone else made terrible foundations.

I hope so, but these are the same people in charge and a lot of the same talent. So I expect the same kind of result.

But this time, it does seem like DC had time to cook this all the way through. From what I know, deadlines proved to be huge problems for COIE, Zero Hour, and the New52. They all had to be pushed out before creators had settled the details. With 5G, it seems to be something they planned and plotted carefully, and didn't bring it out until they were ready. Maybe that will make a difference. Maybe basing this on real publishing history will give them enough of a foundation to build the new continuity tightly, instead of having loose ends and inconsistencies. Maybe.

But at the end of the day it's the same people at DC, doing the same thing we've seen a few times from them already. I'm not expecting higher quality.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Infinite Crisis?
    Yep. It's since IC that DC has started the trend of rebooting every 4,5 years to "fix" its messy continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I hope so, but these are the same people in charge and a lot of the same talent. So I expect the same kind of result.

But this time, it does seem like DC had time to cook this all the way through. From what I know, deadlines proved to be huge problems for COIE, Zero Hour, and the New52. They all had to be pushed out before creators had settled the details. With 5G, it seems to be something they planned and plotted carefully, and didn't bring it out until they were ready. Maybe that will make a difference. Maybe basing this on real publishing history will give them enough of a foundation to build the new continuity tightly, instead of having loose ends and inconsistencies. Maybe.

But at the end of the day it's the same people at DC, doing the same thing we've seen a few times from them already. I'm not expecting higher quality.
    Honestly, it looked like the letters page writers didn't even know they were rebooting, suggesting stuff might happen that they knew wouldn't. New 52 was definitely rushed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Honestly, it looked like the letters page writers didn't even know they were rebooting, suggesting stuff might happen that they knew wouldn't. New 52 was definitely rushed.
    Yeah it was.

Maybe, if we're lucky and the gods are kind, this whole 5G thing will have had the time for some serious proof reading and we'll avoid the problems deadlines have caused past reboots. I don't expect a big change in quality (same people, same result after all), but just...maybe....5G will be a little bit better than usual.

Of course, even if the quality and continuity is better constructed I don't have much interest in reading about people replacing my favorite characters, so I'm probably gonna pass on most of it anyway. But who knows what we'll get? We'll see what DC says in the coming months.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Probably will drop the replacments and severe aging.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Probably will drop the replacments and severe aging.
    I actually like the 1G -4G timeline idea and everything counts. But aging out Clark, Bruce, Lois, Diana et al seems like a bad move.
    These are the primary IP’s for the company. Rushing into new versions and making the originals unusable seems doomed to failure.

I’d keep the rest and slow down on the rapid aging part. Let’s enjoy the Bruce/Selina Union, Jon as a teen (everybody already hated his rapid aging the first time), and build replacements slowly over time that will resonate.

BANNED

If they moved most of the silver age and bronze age (compression) into the early and mid 80s, it would probably shave off decades of aging.

Another way is just have Earth 0 people not all aging the same way, bit more fantasty world.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I actually like the 1G -4G timeline idea and everything counts. But aging out Clark, Bruce, Lois, Diana et al seems like a bad move.
    These are the primary IP’s for the company. Rushing into new versions and making the originals unusable seems doomed to failure.

I’d keep the rest and slow down on the rapid aging part. Let’s enjoy the Bruce/Selina Union, Jon as a teen (everybody already hated his rapid aging the first time), and build replacements slowly over time that will resonate.
    I think your right. The actual idea of organizing the timeline and ironing it out and going "this is it, this is how it all lays out now" is a smart decision. The 5G part of the conversation is absolutely the problem. Replacing all the characters with a bunch of people that readers don't know, don't care about, and will happily forgot as soon as the push is done is a horrible idea. It shows just how not well thought out the idea is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    If they moved most of the silver age and bronze age (compression) into the early and mid 80s, it would probably shave off decades of aging.

Another way is just have Earth 0 people not all aging the same way, bit more fantasty world.
    The problem is that it seems that they've committed to the timeline leaked at NYCC, based on the solitics for Generation 1. If Alfred and Lucius are around during the JSA era (which is definitively WW2), then that supports the idea of Bruce becoming Batman in the early 1960's.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The easiest way to keep the timeline without aging up Supes & Bats too much would be to do it for a few months, then simply handwave it all away as sliding timeline shenanigans, which is the most likely outcome. The train is already moving on this, so they can't completely drop this idea, but they can stick with what works (the idea that the broad strokes of all DCU history happened & any inconsistencies were caused by the various Crisis events), but dump the idea that Superman & Batman first appeared several decades ago and stick to the standard vague "many years ago" timeline that doesn't pin down any characters to set ages.