Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Whaaaat? So what does it mean for Steve, Etta and Cheetah? A complete revamp again? Ffs, DC...
    I agree. I guess now we know what the heck that reference to half a century meant? I can't read the images on linked page - too small for me. But it looks like something about Steve Trevor listed in first column of red "G1 V1"?)

Anyway, half a century ago is 1969. But the JSA are back on the list, and she's before them, and I can't see them not being a WWII team, so there's that. Maybe the half a century still isn't explained.

(Although, if they can work the clay origin back into canon, all is forgiven. Heh)
    I kinda wondered if they already had, when Empress Hippolyta's clay child was mentioned.

For the record, I prefer Superman the first superhero - it works for me in a meta fashion, and as the only golden age characters I've read are the ones that continued (or, in Canary's case, were brought back later), I'm okay with relegating them to a separate earth.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-04-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

We JUST had Rebirth. I'd be thrilled with the chance that some Golden Age stuff will be reworked into canon, but they should have had Rucka do it if that's what they wanted.

It does somehwhat explain the "missing from Paradise Island for half a century" stuff from #75

Hello everyone,

A few things this announcement makes me realize:

Making Wonder Woman DC's official first superhero is quite a bold move for DC--given the institutional misogyny of the industry at large and at DC in particular. I imagine that this is a decision that came from above Dan DiDio's head, and that the higher-ups are more aware of Wonder Woman's mainstream popularity than most of the managers at DC are. Diana had a blockbuster movie that broke down barriers and you can barely tell that's the case at DC proper. This is clearly a move made to bring synergy between the comic book Wonder Woman and the film Wonder Woman in an effort to increase profitability.

All of Wonder Woman's history can now be a part of the main canon. She's a founding member, and maybe even the catalyst for the founding, of the Justice Society. Paula Von Gunther, Red Panzer, etc. can now be part of her established history. It's possible that most of her Golden Age stories actually happened.

It is now established canon that Diana is immortal. Since now she's been active since World War II, we can also expect that she serves as the elder stateswoman among heroes, is a warrior whose skills are unmatched, and has untouchable wisdom in matters of history and human behavior--given how long she has now been operating in the world as a full-fledged superhero.

This is an easy way to fix Donna Troy's origin once and for all. We can return to the "Wonder Woman saves a child from a burning building" origin and re-establish "Who Is Donna Troy?" from The New Teen Titans #38 as Donna's definitive origin. That is, if Greg Rucka's "no return" edict is either abolished or modified.

This will, of course, possibly negate some things or require that some things be clarified: For example, Steve Trevor: If Diana saves him after he crash lands on Themyscira in the 1940s, it will mean that. outside of some magic trick or something, he's dead in the present.

In the end, I think the good outweighs the bad and it will be interesting to discover the details of her new canon as creators unravel them.

"He said that Wonder Woman will be the first superhero whose arrival in America touches off the launch of the JSA. Superman was the first hero of the second generation of heroes, and then there are other eras beginning after the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths."

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/10/04/...erse-timeline/
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Well, one good thing can come out of this...poor Donna Troy can be rescued by Diana again and grow up on Themyscira. As far as Etta, Steve and the rest...it makes my head hurt...

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Hello everyone,

A few things this announcement makes me realize:

Making Wonder Woman DC's official first superhero is quite a bold move for DC--given the institutional misogyny of the industry at large and at DC in particular. I imagine that this is a decision that came from above Dan DiDio's head, and that the higher-ups are more aware of Wonder Woman's mainstream popularity than most of the managers at DC are. Diana had a blockbuster movie that broke down barriers and you can barely tell that's the case at DC proper. This is clearly a move made to bring synergy between the comic book Wonder Woman and the film Wonder Woman in an effort to increase profitability.

All of Wonder Woman's history can now be a part of the main canon. She's a founding member, and maybe even the catalyst for the founding, of the Justice Society. Paula Von Gunther, Red Panzer, etc. can now be part of her established history. It's possible that most of her Golden Age stories actually happened.

It is now established canon that Diana is immortal. Since now she's been active since World War II, we can also expect that she serves as the elder stateswoman among heroes, is a warrior whose skills are unmatched, and has untouchable wisdom in matters of history and human behavior--given how long she has now been operating in the world as a full-fledged superhero.

This is an easy way to fix Donna Troy's origin once and for all. We can return to the "Wonder Woman saves a child from a burning building" origin and re-establish "Who Is Donna Troy?" from The New Teen Titans #38 as Donna's definitive origin. That is, if Greg Rucka's "no return" edict is either abolished or modified.

This will, of course, possibly negate some things or require that some things be clarified: For example, Steve Trevor: If Diana saves him after he crash lands on Themyscira in the 1940s, it will mean that. outside of some magic trick or something, he's dead in the present.

In the end, I think the good outweighs the bad and it will be interesting to discover the details of her new canon as creators unravel them.

"He said that Wonder Woman will be the first superhero whose arrival in America touches off the launch of the JSA. Superman was the first hero of the second generation of heroes, and then there are other eras beginning after the events of Crisis on Infinite Earths."

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/10/04/...erse-timeline/
    In one article, it noted that on the timeline it was stated that Diana retreats from man's world then re-emerges at a later date. Sounds very much like they are following the movie tropes to some degree. I dont necessarily have an issue with that as it allows for Diana to meet a young Steve Trevor again, it allows for a youthful Etta both of whom would most likely be grandchildren of the originals Diana would have met/rescued.
    if it's not Steve Orlando who is given the Herculean task of straightening this all out, I hope they bring back Rucka. There's very few people at DC i trust anymore not to turn this into a crap storm.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    In one article, it noted that on the timeline it was stated that Diana retreats from man's world then re-emerges at a later date. Sounds very much like they are following the movie tropes to some degree. I dont necessarily have an issue with that as it allows for Diana to meet a young Steve Trevor again, it allows for a youthful Etta both of whom would most likely be grandchildren of the originals Diana would have met/rescued.
    if it's not Steve Orlando who is given the Herculean task of straightening this all out, I hope they bring back Rucka. There's very few people at DC i trust anymore not to turn this into a crap storm.
    I'm with you in regard to Rucka. He really, really loves writing and thinking about Diana. And with a great editor, I imagine another run with him would be amazing.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Fair enough but you really think that next Origin will do better? The last thing Diana needs right now is another retelling of how she came to Man’s World. All this obsession with messing with her past has really hurt her.
    I think another soft reboot right now under the current leadership with no clear direction so soon after the last one is a bad idea, no matter how good or bad the story is - but yeah, I think the next origin could definitely do better, plenty of room for improvement. It'd be a bad move, but just "can you do better than year one?" yeah, you could.

That's pretty much how I feel. If they have to do her origin again that's just bad, its the same revolving door that's always been a problem. It could, easily, end up better than Rebirth. Could also easily end up worse. But it'd have to be epic to really be worth it in the end.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Theres no way this isn't a horrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That's pretty much how I feel. If they have to do her origin again that's just bad, its the same revolving door that's always been a problem. It could, easily, end up better than Rebirth. Could also easily end up worse. But it'd have to be epic to really be worth it in the end.
    If they could do it where Rucka and Scott's Year One is pretty much still intact, just moved to pre-World War II, I'd be okay with that change.

But yes, the reboot fever that has taken over the industry, as a means to spur sales, is EXHAUSTING.

I wouldn't mind a new origin story for Diana, but at the same time I see no hurry in getting it done. If DC decides to split Diana's titles so she gets two issues a month, and one is past adventures (mainly Second World War, but probably also some on Themyscira or mythological) and one is "current" continuity, they can take their time to nail down Diana's origin story.

Looking at this, I'm thinking that the "new" DCU will have some similarities with Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier. One can draw inspiration from much worse places.

It will be interesting to see how Rucka's Rebirth run will stand in this. As an origin story I found it decent, but it has some flaws. One is that it's too complex due to the need to do an in-story retcon of New 52. Another and more serious one is that it left both Etta Candy and Steve Trevor in rather uninteresting narrative spots. (It had a couple other issues, but Wilson managed to dynamite most of those immediately when she started her run.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I dont necessarily have an issue with that as it allows for Diana to meet a young Steve Trevor again, it allows for a youthful Etta both of whom would most likely be grandchildren of the originals Diana would have met/rescued.
    That is so cringe-worthy to me. People are not interchangeable with their ancestors. It's kinda creepy, too, if the relationships are the same. And splitting one character always muddies things. Shades of '70s, show, I guess.

No descendants please. That's creepy and convoluted. I'm guessing they're gonna kill Steve off in the WWII era and bring him back in the modern times? Not sure what they can do with Etta though.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'm guessing they're gonna kill Steve off in the WWII era and bring him back in the modern times
    I think this is most likely, and may end up syncing with movies in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think another soft reboot right now under the current leadership with no clear direction so soon after the last one is a bad idea, no matter how good or bad the story is - but yeah, I think the next origin could definitely do better, plenty of room for improvement. It'd be a bad move, but just "can you do better than year one?" yeah, you could.
    How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Rucka's Rebirth run will stand in this. As an origin story I found it decent, but it has some flaws. One is that it's too complex due to the need to do an in-story retcon of New 52. Another and more serious one is that it left both Etta Candy and Steve Trevor in rather uninteresting narrative spots. (It had a couple other issues, but Wilson managed to dynamite most of those immediately when she started her run.)
    That felt like more of an issue with the modern stories then the actual Year One story.

I agree Rucka's Etta wasn't very interesting, although I felt his Steve was fine, but I feel like it was important that he at least established them in Diana's life (which he did).