Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How so?
    I mean, I think there are already better WW origin stories than it already. Do I really need to list ways to do better than Year One? Obviously (my opinion) it has been done and can be done again.

It'd be a bad idea to do so so soon, but it's not some pinnacle of writing that's hard for good writers to surpass in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Diana being active in World War II and a member of both the JSA & All-Star Squadron again excites me. Let's hope DC thinks this through so that Steve Trevor can be still be a relevant love interest in the modern day.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That felt like more of an issue with the modern stories then the actual Year One story.

I agree Rucka's Etta wasn't very interesting, although I felt his Steve was fine, but I feel like it was important that he at least established them in Diana's life (which he did).
    Yeah, Year One was fine as far as it goes, but also really only half a story. It was written to be an integral part of a larger story with The Lies, The Truth, and Godwatch.

Now, I quite possibly have a higher tolerance of stories being retold than most people here, and I actually think there is value in revisiting and retelling old classic stories (suitably updated, of course). I think the flaw isn't that Diana's origin story gets retold, but rather that it's the only one that gets retold.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Well, one good thing can come out of this...poor Donna Troy can be rescued by Diana again and grow up on Themyscira. As far as Etta, Steve and the rest...it makes my head hurt...
    That would be a blessing actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think another soft reboot right now under the current leadership with no clear direction so soon after the last one is a bad idea, no matter how good or bad the story is - but yeah, I think the next origin could definitely do better, plenty of room for improvement. It'd be a bad move, but just "can you do better than year one?" yeah, you could.
    I enjoyed Year One, so I don’t share the dislike for it others do. If Orlando is handling he might do a good job, but I don’t know if it will be better than Rucka.

@SonofBaldwin You make some good points but I have three major concerns:
    1. DC has done stuff like this before only to abandon or contradict it almost immediately. A timeline needs to be strictly adhered to or its pointless. Given that it’s still the same people in charge I’m not sure they’ll do a better job this time.
    2. Messing with Diana’s continuity has rarely been to her benefit. If Diana has fought in WWI and WWII I don’t see how she could possibly be the person depicted in Rebirth. That Diana there is unsure of herself, she’s clearly a much younger Diana. A Diana that’s over 80 years old is not going to be constantly second-guessing herself, at least not if she’s actually being written correctly.
    3. She’ll need a new origin. Rucka’s Year One has her unable to speak English as one of its key plot points. It’s also portrays her as a bit sheltered and naive about Man’s World. Obviously that doesn’t make sense if her first arrival had her fighting in two of the bloodiest wars ever fought.

Im kinda amused that some think an immortal connecting with the descendants of people she knew a few generations ago is creepy and convoluted by comic book standards.

Not saying l love the idea, but come on.... ��
    Last edited by Largo161; 10-04-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The main positive here is that it will allow them to fix Donna's origin and bring it as close to the pre-Crisis one as possible. But since they botched the last two reboots/overhauls, odds are they will somehow botch this one too.

I'm not terribly attached to Rebirth Steve and Etta. If this means Steve is brought more in line with his movie counterpart (including seeming resurrection?) it could only be a good thing. It would also mean we'd get classic Etta Candy, with maybe the current one being her granddaughter.

The villains might not be impacted by this that much. Diana could bring Ares to Themyscira herself to be imprisoned, leading to it being inaccessible and prompting Deimos and Phobos to forcefully recruit Cale in the present day. We could have both Priscilla Rich and Barbara Minerva as Cheetahs. And Paula von Gunther could be back to her classic self and role.

Is this the official new timeline of everything? Or is there a HoX/PoX type of thing going on -- that this is the timeline before Dr. Manhattan, and we can explore both the old and new one?

Otherwise, Superman is now super-old, too.

This also sounds really, really stupid. Clutter-Earth is so unnecessary now that we have a multiverse again. We don't need to shoehorn the JSA into the main earth. We don't need a continuity clusterf*ck. We don't need the DCU to be all twisted into itself. We just need good stories.

And I really want a modern day Diana, Steve, and Etta, with a beautiful but distant Paradise Island, depicted in fun stories that take things forward.

Blech. Unless there's a HoX/PoX thing that makes this a kind of continuity template but not the new continuity in which the DCU tries to proceed.

Also, please tell me this ISN'T yet another way the comics WW is being twisted and distorted to conform to what Hollywood is doing with the character. Shades of the 70s.

And I really want a modern day Diana, Steve, and Etta, with a beautiful but distant Paradise Island, depicted in fun stories that take things forward.

Blech. Unless there's a HoX/PoX thing that makes this a kind of continuity template but not the new continuity in which the DCU tries to proceed.
    I am in so much agreement. Even about the kind of stories I want.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The main positive here is that it will allow them to fix Donna's origin and bring it as close to the pre-Crisis one as possible. But since they botched the last two reboots/overhauls, odds are they will somehow botch this one too.

I'm not terribly attached to Rebirth Steve and Etta. If this means Steve is brought more in line with his movie counterpart (including seeming resurrection?) it could only be a good thing. It would also mean we'd get classic Etta Candy, with maybe the current one being her granddaughter.

The villains might not be impacted by this that much. Diana could bring Ares to Themyscira herself to be imprisoned, leading to it being inaccessible and prompting Deimos and Phobos to forcefully recruit Cale in the present day. We could have both Priscilla Rich and Barbara Minerva as Cheetahs. And Paula von Gunther could be back to her classic self and role.
    I don't even see why they would need to reboot them. I think it's more a matter of writing then just trying to reboot the characters to match up with a new Wonder Woman history.

Like Shea Fontana wrote a more "classic" Etta straight after Rucka's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    Theres no way this isn't a horrible idea.
    I agree. One of the main joys in following comics is understanding a character's history and continuity. This takes all that away and only adds confusion.

For those saying this is a good thing, do you really trust these guys to not mess it up and give you want? I don't.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 10-04-2019 at 08:15 PM.

Well, this is an absolute mess.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

For those saying this is good thing, do really trust these guys to not mess it up and give you want? I don't.
    Nah. Been fooled too many times. Didio's interview is telling, it sounds like they're doing this on the fly again, so its apt to be the same mess that all other attempts have been over the last 15 years.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Unless they're actually giving Diana a second title about her adventures in the WWII era, I don't see any value in this reboot.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Here's what I can make out from DC Wonder Woman blurry new timeline plus a few others to help to frame the events

Generation 1 Dawn of The Heroic Age 25-year time window
    Year 1 Wonder Woman debuts - Steve Trevor crashes on Themyscira
    Year 3 JSA - covered by spoiler box
    Year 5 Freedom Fighters and All-Star Squadron - JSA recruits Wonder Woman?
    Year 8 Wonder Woman retreats to Themyscira following something. Bleeding Cool said "attack", someone else said "atomic bomb drop", I say "Steve Trevor's death"
    Year 18 Senate banned superheroes

Generation 2 The Space Age 15-year time window
    Year 1 Batman and Superman debuts
    Year 2 Hal Jordan as GL, Barry as Flash, Aquaman debuts
    Year 3 Dick Robin, Wally Kid Flash debuts
    Year 4 Wonder Woman returned something
    Year 5 Donna Troy something
    Year 6 Teen Titans debut
    Year 14 Wonder Woman debuts as the new something
    Year 15 Crisis on Infinite Earths

Generation 3 The Age of Crisis 15-year time window
    Year 4 Death of Superman
    Year 5 Artemis Debuts
    Year 6 Zero Hour
    Year 11 Infinite Crisis - Wonder Woman? Kills? Max Lord? Pure guess here
    Year 12 Donna Troy returns (From where?)
    Year 14 Final Crisis
    Year 15 Blackest Night - Flashpoint

Generation 4 The Flashpoint Age 5-year time window - confirmed as Didio posted a clear one
    Year 1 Donna Troy takes over Wonder Woman mantle
    Year 2 Diana back as Wonder Woman - Wonder Woman becomes God of War
    Year 3 Rebirth - Wonder Woman relinquishes God of War mantle

That's it.