Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnn View Post
    Yes (I mentioned Year One in my post didn’t I?) and now they’ve reverted back to the WWII origin. Doesn’t matter that we managed to break away from that a couple times, somehow her origin always ties back to WWII in some form or another. Despite everything it still has staying power. Out of all superheroes, hers is the only origin story where adaptations will still dredge up the war thing no matter in which year they were written. Which was, you know, my original point. I wasn’t trying to argue that ALL WW origin stories have involved WWII, which is obviously neither true nor the point here.

Like, I was literally arguing that WW doesn’t need the WWII origin back because some stories have had her completely disconnected from WWII and they worked just fine.
    What got me into Wonder Woman in the first place was that there were two distinct incarnations. That's why I was happy about Hippolyta going back in time and becoming the Golden Age Wonder Woman. It's not necessary but I like it and I like World War II. The themes are glorious. For the most part it's good guys versus bad guys and not as morally murky as other wars. That said, the new timeline is atrocious and seems destined for failure. There was nothing wrong with Earth 1 and Earth 2 of the Bronze Age, it was charming and uncomplicated.

And yeah, I saw your Year One but for some reason my mind didn't link it to Wonder Woman. I always associate it with Batman, so that's my fault, not yours and I apologize for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnn View Post
    Yes (I mentioned Year One in my post didn’t I?) and now they’ve reverted back to the WWII origin. Doesn’t matter that we managed to break away from that a couple times, somehow her origin always ties back to WWII in some form or another. Despite everything it still has staying power. Out of all superheroes, hers is the only origin story where adaptations will still dredge up the war thing no matter in which year they were written. Which was, you know, my original point. I wasn’t trying to argue that ALL WW origin stories have involved WWII, which is obviously neither true nor the point here.

Like, I was literally arguing that WW doesn’t need the WWII origin back because some stories have had her completely disconnected from WWII and they worked just fine.
    The only adaptation that has brought it up in her origin is the Lynda Carter show. The Wonder Woman movie used a completely different World War with different themes. I don't think it's staying power is that strong as more adaptations have ignored it completely and DC has been distancing themselves from it since the 80s.

If DC wanted a woman to be the first superhero, they'd have been better off making Black Canary a legacy again.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Wonder Woman will be in a JSA series written by Scott Snyder set during the WWII:

“I've been hinting at it, but I'm looking to write the JSA after this,” Snyder says. “After Justice League, there'll be a bit of a window, like a break between what we're doing on Justice League and when they come back for their own series, because of other things we're introducing. That said, the period in which I'd like to write them is this period. That's why we chose 1939, 1940. We always see them as representatives of a time that's passed where they're viewed with a kind of nostalgia for when things were black and white in terms of morality. What I want to do is really revisit their early years, show the formation of the team.”

Perhaps coincidentally, it was revealed at New York Comic Con that there will finally be a comprehensive timeline of DC Universe continuity coming in the near future. That timeline breaks DC history up into “generations” and the JSA would be near the very start of DC’s first heroic age. Snyder hints that the origin of the JSA will include some new elements that have never before been revealed. “They might have also been gathered together by somebody surprising,” Snyder says. While he didn’t elaborate, one of the key pieces of the new DC Universe timeline is that Wonder Woman’s arrival in the United States is what kicks off the first age of DC superheroes.

It’s worth noting that there has never been a comprehensive story about the earliest days of the JSA, and the story of their formation hasn’t even been told since Secret Origins #31 by Roy Thomas and Michael Bair in 1988. Snyder hopes to explore the team’s origin in a new way.

“Show some of the early members' conflicts, show how, at that moment when they were brought together, things were anything but black and white,” Snyder says. “Of course, evil's rising overseas and there's no question about the nature of that darkness, but in terms of the future and how it was written and whether or not good would win or whether or not we would jump into the war as a country, all of that stuff was fraught with conflict and arguments and ambiguity and anxieties. I want to write them raw and brutal and young, when they're not the elder statesmen, when they don't know any better than anybody else [and] when they're actually like young people caught up as the first superhero team in history at a moment of tremendous stakes and confusion. That's why I think introducing them in this way [in Justice League] is fun, because it's a teaser of some of this stuff we plan on doing with them later down the line as well.”

Full article: https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...ca-dc-universe

I hope they don't just relegate Diana to a JSA book.

BANNED

I guess this means Golden Age Earth 2 Wonder Woman gains her counter parts history.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Wonder Woman will be in a JSA series written by Scott Snyder set during the WWII:

“I've been hinting at it, but I'm looking to write the JSA after this,” Snyder says. “After Justice League, there'll be a bit of a window, like a break between what we're doing on Justice League and when they come back for their own series, because of other things we're introducing. That said, the period in which I'd like to write them is this period. That's why we chose 1939, 1940. We always see them as representatives of a time that's passed where they're viewed with a kind of nostalgia for when things were black and white in terms of morality. What I want to do is really revisit their early years, show the formation of the team.”

Perhaps coincidentally, it was revealed at New York Comic Con that there will finally be a comprehensive timeline of DC Universe continuity coming in the near future. That timeline breaks DC history up into “generations” and the JSA would be near the very start of DC’s first heroic age. Snyder hints that the origin of the JSA will include some new elements that have never before been revealed. “They might have also been gathered together by somebody surprising,” Snyder says. While he didn’t elaborate, one of the key pieces of the new DC Universe timeline is that Wonder Woman’s arrival in the United States is what kicks off the first age of DC superheroes.

It’s worth noting that there has never been a comprehensive story about the earliest days of the JSA, and the story of their formation hasn’t even been told since Secret Origins #31 by Roy Thomas and Michael Bair in 1988. Snyder hopes to explore the team’s origin in a new way.

“Show some of the early members' conflicts, show how, at that moment when they were brought together, things were anything but black and white,” Snyder says. “Of course, evil's rising overseas and there's no question about the nature of that darkness, but in terms of the future and how it was written and whether or not good would win or whether or not we would jump into the war as a country, all of that stuff was fraught with conflict and arguments and ambiguity and anxieties. I want to write them raw and brutal and young, when they're not the elder statesmen, when they don't know any better than anybody else [and] when they're actually like young people caught up as the first superhero team in history at a moment of tremendous stakes and confusion. That's why I think introducing them in this way [in Justice League] is fun, because it's a teaser of some of this stuff we plan on doing with them later down the line as well.”

Full article: https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...ca-dc-universe
    I'm actually looking forward to something like this. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get a WW2-set Wonder Woman film featuring the JSA.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From Bleeding Cool:

"When the DC Timeline was leaked by DC Comics at New York Comic Con, it established as Wonder Woman having been around before World War II and preceding Superman by decades as the first superhero of the DC Universe, and emerging at the same time Krypton explodes. And, however that is going to be handled, earlier this week Bleeding Cool learnt that it will be established that she fought in World War One – just like the movie. And that the motto for 5G and the new DC Timeline as a whole is that “everything happened”…"

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/01...s-dc-timeline/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From Bleeding Cool:

"When the DC Timeline was leaked by DC Comics at New York Comic Con, it established as Wonder Woman having been around before World War II and preceding Superman by decades as the first superhero of the DC Universe, and emerging at the same time Krypton explodes. And, however that is going to be handled, earlier this week Bleeding Cool learnt that it will be established that she fought in World War One – just like the movie. And that the motto for 5G and the new DC Timeline as a whole is that “everything happened”…"

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/01...s-dc-timeline/
    I got nothing. It makes no sense at all as presented so far. Hopefully details will improve thing.

"Everything happened" - but did it all happen in the same continuity? I hope they don't expect to just ignore any and all semblance of continuity in everything. Also, I'm the tiniest bit terrified they are going to make WW I end the year before WWII starts (so they can keep the 1938 start date), since they've already put WW II only 60 years ago.

I get movie synchronicity as a general concept, but it's weird timing, since that was a few years ago now, and the next one is 80s centered.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 01-10-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

More information: the new timeline will make it's debut in Wonder Woman 750, where WW's new origin will make it's first apperance in a story written by Scott Snyder: https://www.newsarama.com/48569-wond...yan-hitch.html

This also seems to build on that earlier news about Scott writing a period JSA story with Wonder Woman involved. To further that, Scott has also been teasing doing a project with Francis Manpaul. I could see this being the story Francis has been drawing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Man, going from Rucka's Year One to Scott Snyder is going to be a serious downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    More information: the new timeline will make it's debut in Wonder Woman 750, where WW's new origin will make it's first apperance in a story written by Scott Snyder: https://www.newsarama.com/48569-wond...yan-hitch.html

This also seems to build on that earlier news about Scott writing a period JSA story with Wonder Woman involved. To further that, Scott has also been teasing doing a project with Francis Manpaul. I could see this being the story Francis has been drawing.
    Was Snyder listed to write for 750? Or am I reading this wrong?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This should be interesting. I really hope Snyder puts a little more effort into Diana in this solo story than he has with her in JLA. His Diana wasn't terrible in JLA but far from groundbreaking. Same goes for Cheetah.

I also think Synder is doing a JSA series with either Manpaul or Jorge Jimenez.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

So it begins.

I'm really not in the mood for yet another new origin story. I don't think Snyder and Hitch are going to top Rucka and Scott.

Oye. I've been progressively losing more and more interest in DC but a brand new origin pushes me over the edge. I'm sure I'll still read it, but I'm not enthused.