Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It's kind of the most hilarious back down in the world that DC seemed to have condensed the whole of New 52 Clark down to just "that one time he wore the Kryptonian armor for a year" lol This being said a fan of a lot from that era.

This does seem to more or less corroborate with what Jurgens showed us after Reborn though.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't like immortal Superman (it's depressing for him to outlive everyone he loves over and over again), and I don't like Lois not being there from the start. It's just a completely different dynamic if she isn't. Plus, as I said, I like Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman being peers in the Superhero game, starting at basically the same time.
    The modern age will never really be moved on from though, so it's not like he would ever outlive Lois or other friends and loved ones from this period. There are also ways around death/aging for the supporting cast that DC has flirted with in the past. It's not like Lois has to die.

I'd prefer the Trinity be on equal footing, but if Batman has to be left out of the golden age it's not the end of the world. Clark and Diana need it more. Plus I like the idea of them being veterans over Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think Superman being "the first" is great because he is supposed to change the world as we knew it. Reflecting the movies and real life. He should be a big deal.
    My problem with this point is that it doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. All these big guns Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern all would have become big time heroes with or without Superman. If Clark was the first one then that’s just luck. It’s not much of an accomplishment to start a trend that would have been started anyway.
    Superman is top dog because he’s the best, not because he was lucky enough to be first.
    And like I said I don’t care about the meta-ness of it.

The modern age will never really be moved on from though, so it's not like he would ever outlive Lois or other friends and loved ones from this period. There are also ways around death/aging for the supporting cast that DC has flirted with in the past. It's not like Lois has to die.
    But he still has it hanging over him that he will inevitably outlive 99.99% of all the people he will ever care about (possibly including his child, presuming Jon still exists). And has already outlived two generations of them. And, as I said, it completely changes the Clark/Lois dynamic if he was already saving lives when when her grandfather was a kid.

One thing I don’t get is how old is Clark?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    One thing I don’t get is how old is Clark?
    Probably 81 years old. I dunno.

So Superman is older than Lois and he ages slow. Are we getting another revisit ?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    But he still has it hanging over him that he will inevitably outlive 99.99% of all the people he will ever care about (possibly including his child, presuming Jon still exists). And has already outlived two generations of them. And, as I said, it completely changes the Clark/Lois dynamic if he was already saving lives when when her grandfather was a kid.
    I don't think it changes their dynamic in any meaningful capacity. She still has all the qualities that makes him fall in love with her.
    And it may finally kill the "He needs Lois as his primary connection to humanity" thing since he has gone several decades being able to retain humanity on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think it changes their dynamic in any meaningful capacity. She still has all the qualities that makes him fall in love with her.
    And it may finally kill the "He needs Lois as his primary connection to humanity" thing since he has gone several decades being able to retain humanity on his own.
    I don't need Lois as his connection to humanity - I like everyone as his connection to humanity and him thinking of himself as human. But it does change the dynamic - sure, they could still fall in love, that's not the problem. But he will be more experienced than her in every single thing. Journalism being a biggie. But also in dealing with people, dealing with tragedy, understanding politics. He will not be something new and exciting to her, but an old fixture. And she will never the (publicly known) authority on Superman. And I'm sure somewhere along the line someone will decide she had a crush on him as a child, which I dislike intensely. It will keep them from ever being equals in any fashion - he will always be the senior/superior one. And the entire relationship will have a completely different flavor when they both know she's just a very brief passage in his very long life. She will make a life-long commitment, and he will not. She just cannot hold the same weight or importance in the mythos if she's just 1/1000th of his life.

And he will completely different. He will be - or should be - weighed down by his losses. Not depressed or anything, but someone who has know and will continue know so much more loss than everyone else (which doesn't factor in an infant losing his planet). I feel that way about pretty much all immortal characters not living among similar - their lives are constant reinvention, and frequent losses and a lack of lasting connections. How can he be Clark Kent, when Clark Kent should have died years ago? He can't have any sort or normal civilian life. He'd have to move and rename himself every 10 years - 15 at the absolute most (depends on age he stops visibly aging). Lasting connections outside the cape are almost impossible - at least without revealing himself.

It would certainly push the Superman/Diana dynamic, too, and that's one I do not support.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-04-2019 at 04:36 PM.

This is a take on the Metaverse. Superman isn’t going to be active for 80 years. Neither is Wonder Woman or Batman. They reference timeline changes right in the timeline itself. It’s going to incorporate all the timelines.

It’s taking the DCU and making it makes sense internally the way we see it externally.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This is a take on the Metaverse. Superman isn’t going to be active for 80 years. Neither is Wonder Woman or Batman. They reference timeline changes right in the timeline itself. It’s going to incorporate all the timelines.

It’s taking the DCU and making it makes sense internally the way we see it externally.
    Yeah. It seems the new timeline include timeline changes (it is mentioned sometimes).

So, it's pretty likely Superman will still have similar age than Lois.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-04-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I am assuming this is like Marvel's scaling timeline, where Cap won't actually be 80 years old just because his origin is rooted in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I am assuming this is like Marvel's scaling timeline, where Cap won't actually be 80 years old just because his origin is rooted in WW2.
    Yes, except the sliding is going to be triggered by different events. Like Crisis, etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That thing won't be killed unless writers stop to use this.

Superman could be a 80 years as superhero, but if the writers want to use "He needs Lois as his primary connection to humanity", they could still.

In fact, in that situation, they could use "the many years of a lonely life have distanced him from humanity until he meets Lois".
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-04-2019 at 04:47 PM.