Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman - not Superman - is DC's first superhero of the Heroic Age

According to the timeline Dan Didio presented at NYC ComiCon.

Wondering how we Superman fans feel about this, and whether it matters that Superman was the first hero.

Feels like DCEU synergy which is stupid. Are they throwing Rucka’s Year One out of canon and redoing WW’s Origin AGAIN? Supes was not going to be the first hero anyway once they started teasing bringing the JSA back so I’m not too bothered by it.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

It's not as *much* of a conceptual kneecapping for her as for the JSA, but still a bad idea that serves neither party, especially since they just last month put to bed that they weren't public as superheroes and ESPECIALLY especially given this throws Wonder Woman: Year One out the window. I wonder if this might actually be because of Scott Snyder: he's said forever he wants to write her and he's made clear he'll be writing a JSA book. Maybe the continuity shift'll play out of the Crisis-scale end of his JL run. If the JSA's kept to the shadows with Superman still as the first publicly, Wonder Woman as their first and leader could be neat, but it's not worth ditching Year One and honestly Diana's the Leaguer Snyder has the weakest grasp on; shame she's the one he's apparently taken with. Unless it's Hippolyta, and while her being the first ever superhero would be...odd, it'd still be worth it to avoid messing with things too much further.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Feels like DCEU synergy which is stupid. Are they throwing Rucka’s Year One out of canon and redoing WW’s Origin AGAIN? Supes was not going to be the first hero anyway once they started teasing bringing the JSA back so I’m not too bothered by it.
    It feels like a Birthright situation, just with Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It feels like a Birthright situation, just with Wonder Woman.
    And we all know how that played out... can’t wait for a third Origin retelling in 5 years lol.

It appears to take into account all the reboots and whatnot. It's not a straight timeline so who knows how its going to play out.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/nycc-19-dc-continuity/

Well there are rumors that the WW84 movie will be a sort of reboot of the DC films continuity... sigh

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It looks that SM is part of the 1st generation too. It's visible that Krypton exploded at the beginning of the 1st Gen. Clark Kent name is visible too in the 1st Gen. timeline.

Check the SM family timeline: https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-cont...shot-172-1.jpg
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 10-04-2019 at 12:08 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Comicsbeat: "When describing the first two generations, DiDio said, “I don’t remember reading those exact stories.” Strongly hinting there would be comic storytelling to flesh out the parameters of those generations and how they fit. He also repeatedly described this forthcoming timeline as the basis for the entire DC Universe moving forward."

Am I to understand this translates to us getting a new look at Superman's origin? They've been extra vague about it since Rebirth, but with Bendis getting so comprehensive with all of his work on Superman, it was only a matter of time before he got to go to the origin, year one, and so on.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I think Clark as Superboy is mentioned in the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Clark as Superboy is mentioned in the timeline.
    It seems so. He was Superboy in the 50s? So weird.

Where? I'm not making that out
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Where? I'm not making that out
    Click here and zoom in the SM timeline: https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-cont...shot-172-1.jpg

Superboy seems to be mentioned in the column about the senate banning superheroes.

Didio's interview is not promising. He sounds just as unsure as a fan would be, meaning that once again there is very little meaningful planning and its all being thrown together on the fly. I'm just not seeing the difference in approach here and with the New 52. I mean, not planning properly with the history is still the same as not planning properly without the history.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-04-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It seems so. He was Superboy in the 50s? So weird.
    Well, they may be going straight Doomsday Clock here. They do mark Crisis on Infinite Earths and Flashpoint as a parts of the timeline.