Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He wasn’t the first in Post Crisis or New 52, so I don’t think it will affect him at all to be honest.
    who was the first in those versions?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    JSA members in post-COIE, though I don't know which particular member. But really, Max Mercury was operating as Quicksilver and under other names and got his powers in the 19th century, as I recall. There may be others further back. IRL, Zatara premiered in Action Comics#1, too, but I don't recall him ever having a secret identity.

The Western heroes (some with secret identities) were made explicitly part of the same world - but I don't know if they already were before that. Of course, they didn't have powers.

I probably should look up early post-COIE to see who the first superhero was. I didn't really think of it until you asked, but it's a worthy question.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-11-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Mighty Member

I think it was the Crimson Avenger in the Post-COIE timeline. With Jay Garrick also showing up fairly soon after.

In the New 52, Superman was supposed to be the first publicaly known superhero...though I don't think they really made such a big deal about it in-universe. There were certainly others before him who weren't publicaly regarded as 'superheroes'. Also, Batman, Aquaman and possibly Hal Jordan GL were all technically active before him.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think it was the Crimson Avenger in the Post-COIE timeline. With Jay Garrick also showing up fairly soon after.

In the New 52, Superman was supposed to be the first publicaly known superhero...though I don't think they really made such a big deal about it in-universe. There were certainly others before him who weren't publicaly regarded as 'superheroes'. Also, Batman, Aquaman and possibly Hal Jordan GL were all technically active before him.
    well Batman doesn't have powers and mostly works in his city. Aquaman has powers, but how much? Was he working in secret or openly? Green Lantern is a cosmic superhero. You assume he would get a lot of attention... Like Wonder Woman if she was very powerful and could fly.

Depends really on some factors.

well Batman doesn't have powers and mostly works in his city. Aquaman has powers, but how much? Was he working in secret or openly? Green Lantern is a cosmic superhero. You assume he would get a lot of attention... Like Wonder Woman if she was very powerful and could fly.

Depends really on some factors.
    Aquaman was a lot of power. Honestly in the New 52 everyone debuted around the same time.

Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They all debuted around the same time, but I think it was written as Clark having them all beat publicly just a hair. AC #1 was the first of the New 52 titles launched, wasn't it? Along with JL. I think that conveys the intent that he was the first. He was even active as Superboy somewhat, maybe not to the extent he was in pre-Crisis, but he at least met the Legion. So while Arthur, Bruce and maybe Hal were technically active before his public debut as Superman, they weren't known or thought of as being real and we still have to factor in the Superboy time.

Even if Batman debuts first, he's kind of an outlier compared to the rest. He doesn't have any powers, he's basically a nut in a costume. He's not remotely realistic, but he wouldn't elicit the same "HOLY SHIT" reaction from the world that Superman, Wonder Woman or Aquaman would when they go public.