Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This is a take on the Metaverse. Superman isn’t going to be active for 80 years. Neither is Wonder Woman or Batman. They reference timeline changes right in the timeline itself. It’s going to incorporate all the timelines.
    I know. I was responding to someone who said he should be active from 1938 on.

It’s taking the DCU and making it makes sense internally the way we see it externally.
    I don't think it's going to end up making more sense. Especially for Diana. But maybe I'm wrong - we'll see.

In fact, in that situation, they could use "the many years of a lonely life have distanced him from humanity until he meets Lois".
    I don't want Superman broody and angsty as a norm - not even in the past. And all the issues I referenced would still be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's kind of the most hilarious back down in the world that DC seemed to have condensed the whole of New 52 Clark down to just "that one time he wore the Kryptonian armor for a year" lol This being said a fan of a lot from that era.

This does seem to more or less corroborate with what Jurgens showed us after Reborn though.
    Don't even know why they bothered with even that to be honest. If they hate it that much then who's the little nod for? Can't be for its fans because it certainly does zilch for us.

I don't think it's going to end up making more sense. Especially for Diana. But maybe I'm wrong - we'll see.
    Doubt you'll be wrong. I mean if it was a brand new hierarchy making these moves, I'd give lots of benefit of the doubt. But these same guys are responsible for further breaking things many times over, never actually fixing anything. Only new face is Bendis, and continuity isn't exactly his thing either.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-04-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't need Lois as his connection to humanity - I like everyone as his connection to humanity and him thinking of himself as human. But it does change the dynamic - sure, they could still fall in love, that's not the problem. But he will be more experienced than her in every single thing. Journalism being a biggie. But also in dealing with people, dealing with tragedy, understanding politics. He will not be something new and exciting to her, but an old fixture. And she will never the (publicly known) authority on Superman. And I'm sure somewhere along the line someone will decide she had a crush on him as a child, which I dislike intensely. It will keep them from ever being equals in any fashion - he will always be the senior/superior one. And the entire relationship will have a completely different flavor when they both know she's just a very brief passage in his very long life. She will make a life-long commitment, and he will not. She just cannot hold the same weight or importance in the mythos if she's just 1/1000th of his life.

And he will completely different. He will be - or should be - weighed down by his losses. Not depressed or anything, but someone who has know and will continue know so much more loss than everyone else (which doesn't factor in an infant losing his planet). I feel that way about pretty much all immortal characters not living among similar - their lives are constant reinvention, and frequent losses and a lack of lasting connections. How can he be Clark Kent, when Clark Kent should have died years ago? He can't have any sort or normal civilian life. He'd have to move and rename himself every 10 years - 15 at the absolute most (depends on age he stops visibly aging). Lasting connections outside the cape are almost impossible - at least without revealing himself.

It would certainly push the Superman/Diana dynamic, too, and that's one I do not support.
    Lois is more naturally talented journalist than Clark, she can still be that. From 1938 until the vague present is a long time to fill with an assortment of adventures for him, not all of them needing to take place on Earth. Why would he necessarily be keeping up with journalism and politics for all that time? People also deal with tragedy in different ways, I don't think that's something he's going to ever be "experienced" in, if anything he will just be different in dealing with it. And since pre-Crisis Superman was already a lonely individual who still persevered despite most of his people being wiped out and his adoptive parents dead, this would just be another version of that.

I think you're underselling how important Lois can be. She's his soulmate, it doesn't matter how long his lifespan is, she carries weight. Even if she grows old and dies while he ages much slower. Which is something brought up in canon, but never actually dealt with because nothing advances. It wouldn't be likely to here either. Even if it did, we have the possibility of Lois becoming Superwoman, or DC One Million, or Tom King's brief far future story as possible solutions. And offspring would be half Kryptonian and may have similar aging qualities, so nothing to worry about there. Also? He could lose his powers like in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? so they could grow old and die together.

Supreme passed himself as his own grandson. yeah it's silly, but so are superheros in general. Weirder stuff happens on a regular basis in comics.

DC can push the Clark/Diana dynamic whenever they feel like it, they don't need this as an excuse. Like in the New 52. This way they could have dated and parted long ago.

Astonishing Member

I don't want Superman broody and angsty as a norm - not even in the past. And all the issues I referenced would still be there.
    My main point is that "He needs Lois as his primary connection to humanity" in general is product of bad writting and poor understanding of the character.

They could use this regardless Clark's age. He could be more than 80, but it is still pretty easy to use this.

I doubt they're going to date Superman that much. They're more comfortable with immortal Wonder Woman then exploring that aspect of Superman.

I mean, even with this timeline Batman would probably be too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Don't even know why they bothered with even that to be honest. If they hate it that much then who's the little nod for? Can't be for its fans because it certainly does zilch for us.

Doubt you'll be wrong. I mean if it was a brand new hierarchy making these moves, I'd give lots of benefit of the doubt. But these same guys are responsible for further breaking things many times over, never actually fixing anything. Only new face is Bendis, and continuity isn't exactly his thing either.
    It’s for Johns lol. They kept his run in canon, specifically Ulysses.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I doubt they're going to date Superman that much. They're more comfortable with immortal Wonder Woman then exploring that aspect of Superman.

I mean, even with this timeline Batman would probably be too old.
    Dick would be in his 60’s let alone Batman. Teen Titans are part of Gen 2.

I don't need Lois as his connection to humanity - I like everyone as his connection to humanity and him thinking of himself as human. But it does change the dynamic - sure, they could still fall in love, that's not the problem. But he will be more experienced than her in every single thing. Journalism being a biggie. But also in dealing with people, dealing with tragedy, understanding politics. He will not be something new and exciting to her, but an old fixture. And she will never the (publicly known) authority on Superman. And I'm sure somewhere along the line someone will decide she had a crush on him as a child, which I dislike intensely. It will keep them from ever being equals in any fashion - he will always be the senior/superior one. And the entire relationship will have a completely different flavor when they both know she's just a very brief passage in his very long life. She will make a life-long commitment, and he will not. She just cannot hold the same weight or importance in the mythos if she's just 1/1000th of his life.

And he will completely different. He will be - or should be - weighed down by his losses. Not depressed or anything, but someone who has know and will continue know so much more loss than everyone else (which doesn't factor in an infant losing his planet). I feel that way about pretty much all immortal characters not living among similar - their lives are constant reinvention, and frequent losses and a lack of lasting connections. How can he be Clark Kent, when Clark Kent should have died years ago? He can't have any sort or normal civilian life. He'd have to move and rename himself every 10 years - 15 at the absolute most (depends on age he stops visibly aging). Lasting connections outside the cape are almost impossible - at least without revealing himself.

It would certainly push the Superman/Diana dynamic, too, and that's one I do not support.
    Bravo, a great summation regarding some of the possible perils of this dare I say mess which is about to be unleashed. Whatever possessed those in the DC Office to do such a thing is beyond me. While DC continuity needs a massive correction this is NOT the answer.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-04-2019 at 08:25 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's kind of the most hilarious back down in the world that DC seemed to have condensed the whole of New 52 Clark down to just "that one time he wore the Kryptonian armor for a year" lol This being said a fan of a lot from that era.

This does seem to more or less corroborate with what Jurgens showed us after Reborn though.
    There goes my hope of a New 52 timeline or Alternate Earth I guess.

Well, that's too bad, and I'll stick to the little titles, since Rebirth destroyed my love for Superman and Wonder Woman and King utterly trashed my interest in Batman

Still, really not happy that DC is wasting time and resources on something like that instead of owning divergent timelines and published those !

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    There goes my hope of a New 52 timeline or Alternate Earth I guess.

Well, that's too bad, and I'll stick to the little titles, since Rebirth destroyed my love for Superman and Wonder Woman and King utterly trashed my interest in Batman

Still, really not happy that DC is wasting time and resources on something like that instead of owning divergent timelines and published those !
    Isn't morrison's superman travelling the dark multiverse?

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Isn't morrison's superman travelling the dark multiverse?
    Yeah, but I'd want the whole New 52 Supes, dating Diana and being really in love with her, having had his identity revealed, having fought Rao, the Darkseid War, etc.

Plus, it's not as if he'd be used elsewhere, it was his swan song.

Still, ten thousands times more respectful that Superman Reborn, that idiotic timeline and even Final Days.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I wanted to post what I found from DC's blurry new timeline but aside from Generation 1 and some events that are super popular like Death of Superman all I got is blur blur blur, and I realize that's because I know nothing about Superman landmark events, characters, and especially when they happened.

The other characters I can guess by some words and their position in the timeline, but with Superman, I don't know anything. XD

So all I got is something like

Gen 1 25-year time window
    Krypton explodes - rocket crashes in Smallville
    Clark becomes Superboy, works in secret
    Senate bans Superheroes - Clark stops acting Superboy

Gen 2 15-year time window
    Superman debuts
    World's Finest?
    Supergirl arrives on earth
    Supergirl Dies in Crisis on Infinite Earths

Gen 3 15-year time window
    Death of Superman
    Reign of the Supermen
    Superman Returns
    Superboy Dies in Infinite Crisis
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-05-2019 at 08:11 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yeah, but I'd want the whole New 52 Supes, dating Diana and being really in love with her, having had his identity revealed, having fought Rao, the Darkseid War, etc.

Plus, it's not as if he'd be used elsewhere, it was his swan song.

Still, ten thousands times more respectful that Superman Reborn, that idiotic timeline and even Final Days.
    New52 superwonder was not for me. There are other avenues for it,which did better . Darkseid war is blah! For me. Truth i would only go for it. if the events are done differently and lois isn't pulled into it. Fighting rao is cool.

The things i would want preserved in New52 superman is mainly morrison's run. So, i am happy with what i got. Maybe he will meet wally in his book. Didio is the one working on wally, now. If it happens, i will be over the top.Maybe they will even give him a new earth to live on. That would be awesome. A new earth and a new adventure. Maybe they could launch a new book. Have him find a new girl and get a new job.

I would love it wally too left this main world. He has no place there anymore. Barry has taken over everything even his personality. So, wally would be better of in another world. Have clark and wally be like buddy cops on an alternate earth or using the entire metaverse .it is far better than the monotonous uninspired superman/batman thing that's always thrown around. add in sideways. It could be like team book.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    New52 superwonder was not for me. There are other avenues for it,which did better . Darkseid war is blah! For me. Truth i would only go for it. if the events are done differently and lois isn't pulled into it. Fighting rao is cool.
    I find everything from New 52 far better than anything else I ever read about Superman. This version was really mine, so i want all of it acknowledged. Morrison's run was great, but it still clinged to some elements I dislike (Lois being his fated one, for instance) while Superman/Wonder Woman, while wrote by Soule, was excellent and made the two characters very interesting together, playing their different alienness compared to the US and how people in love always forge a third way,different from their initial own, in life.

The problem with putting Superman too far forward isn't really him aging but his supporting cast.

Like what age would Lois and Lana be. Or Jimmy and the rest of the planet?