Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default BATMAN ETERNAL mega thread 18-23

Batgirl, Batwoman and Jason Todd race to find evidence that may save Commissioner Gordon!

Full article here.

This looks fun - pretty great triple threat right there

Psyched to have finally gotten to Seeley's arc. Far and away my favorite writer of the team.

And this preview pretty much settles it. Seeley's a master of dialogue. "...cool as a damn pudding cup." There is no way I'm not using that in everyday conversations.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

Spectacular Member

Liked how they brought up the Batgirl/Batwoman arc, and the High Tea part made me giggle. I have high expectations of this issue.

Does Eternal hold up without reading the Snyder's Batman?
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 08-06-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Such a fun issue. spoilers:
    It was great seeing Babs, Jason and again. Kate adventuring with one another. Killer Croc is bad ass, while Bard is making a case for him being a good guy again.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    Does Eternal hold up without reading the Snyder's Batman?
    Zero Year is set long before, while Endgame (the next big arc) after Eternal. So you do not need to read Batman to understand Eternal. I would suggest getting Batman #28, as it was a special preview for what was to come in Eternal.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 08-06-2014 at 09:15 AM.

I liked this issue, especially after the awful past 3 issues with Batwing and the supernatural Arkham BS. Glad to see the Gordon story again, and I'm really liking Bard.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I really liked the supernatural story arc. My biggest complaint is that it was not given cameo progression the way other plots were between when the plot was first introduced and when it popped up again.

BANNED

its amazing how much jason has grown as a character in this issue. yet people will still claim he works better as a punisher clone with an inferiority complex

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    its amazing how much jason has grown as a character in this issue. yet people will still claim he works better as a punisher clone with an inferiority complex
    +1

If Dick Grayson is the Prodigial Son, Jason Todd is the Wildcard of the Bat group. Fans need to think long term, not in single story view. In a continuing narrative style of publication a character either adapts and thrives or gets stale.

I love Under The Red Hood, but this Jason got more layers that it isn`t funny.

Astonishing Member

I liked all of it. The Seeley-ness. More of that Croc. Creepy jazz in the sewers. Jason kind of being a blabbermouth - even when he's an ally again, he's kind of ruining everyone's day and/or secret identities, maybe. Batwoman's bemusement with the two bat-kids before taking charge. Babs' last days and various comics as a grim n' gritty, dragged down by darkness Batgirl being you know ... written that way, as if the writers (and Babs, and friends) might be realizing it and organically fueling the change.

Mind control dudes in Hawaiian shirts. Can't wait for that supervillain codename.

Referencing back Batgirl's other major (as opposed to group scene) run-in with Batwoman felt really natural, as did Babs' regard for, well, for how damn cool Kate's demeanor is. It's true, man. Kate's got some issues, but she's cool as hell in every regard.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I enjoy how he's being handled here as well. I loved UtRD but I really wasn't happy about Jason remaining in that state indefinitely myself. I prefer reading about characters that grow and change not ones that remain static.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    +1

If Dick Grayson is the Prodigial Son, Jason Todd is the Wildcard of the Bat group. Fans need to think long term, not in single story view. In a continuing narrative style of publication a character either adapts and thrives or gets stale.

I love Under The Red Hood, but this Jason got more layers that it isn`t funny.
    Very nicely put and I agree with you.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

Jason was great here. Shockingly callous about the death of Dick, broilingly angry at injustice, and casually lumping himself in with the rest of the "Bat Family" in his reminiscenses and talking up the qualities of Batgirl, even as he does so under the thin surface of resentment....

Just great character writing.

Cause he does (though i would have put it like that). He was quite good here because they're doing a real good job portraying him with an enjoyable asshole-ish attitude, but id still be very happy to see Jason actually put that full clip into the bad guy at the end here. Character needs his bite back. He needs to be more then just a meaner Nightwing if they don't what him to get stale. Just look at RHatO. Its probably the stalest book in the Bat line right now. Though i guess it isn't edited out of the Bat office, so not sure if it even counts as part of the Bat line anymore.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-06-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Jason was great here. Shockingly callous about the death of Dick, broilingly angry at injustice, and casually lumping himself in with the rest of the "Bat Family" in his reminiscenses and talking up the qualities of Batgirl, even as he does so under the thin surface of resentment....

Just great character writing.
    There's nothing shocking about Jason's callousness, he never liked Dick, doesn't care he is dead, and Dick's loss has always been Jason's gain. The guy has no reason to be sad about what happend to Nightwing.

I wish Jason didn't speak as if he had known Dick, though.