Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I loved the TV series (have it complete on DVD), and I really liked the Sonnenfeld movies. I even liked the stupid 70's cartoon where they put the mansion on wheels and went road tripping. But I'm gonna pass on this one.
    Did you ever see the 1998 TV series THE NEW ADDAMS FAMILY? Shot in Vancouver, it was on YTV in Canada. It might not have been as good as the 1960s TV show, but they seemed to be trying to capture the flavour of that show. Glenn Taranto played Gomez, who sounded and acted a lot like the John Astin version--and Astin himself had a recurring role as Grandpa Addams. It wasn't on the air for long, but it generated about the same number of episodes as the original series.

So...

I go through this thread a few times.

Unless someone slid it in and I didn't notice, there hasn't been so much as a single mention of Florida and James Evans.

To me, it's that couple way up above every other option.

Retired

Unfortunately, Florida and James were split apart when James had a seeming car accident but actually was called back to his ancestral form as Kunta Kinte, leaving Florida a single mother and making J.J. the man of the house. As Norman Lear couples go, I think I prefer Weezie and George--their good times had a lot less tragedy.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Did you ever see the 1998 TV series THE NEW ADDAMS FAMILY? Shot in Vancouver, it was on YTV in Canada. It might not have been as good as the 1960s TV show, but they seemed to be trying to capture the flavour of that show. Glenn Taranto played Gomez, who sounded and acted a lot like the John Astin version--and Astin himself had a recurring role as Grandpa Addams. It wasn't on the air for long, but it generated about the same number of episodes as the original series.
    Never saw that one. I remember the Munsters reboot they did around that time. I looked at it just long enough to see that Herman was bright fluorescent green, and noped out of there.

I would be open to a "next generation" show maybe focusing on Pugsley's and/or Wednesday's kids, though the odds of it not getting screwed up would be... low. John Astin, Lisa Loring and Felix Silla are the only surviving cast members from the original show, but they could cameo as Gomez, Wednesday and Cousin Itt if possible.

Unfortunately, Florida and James were split apart when James had a seeming car accident but actually was called back to his ancestral form as Kunta Kinte, leaving Florida a single mother and making J.J. the man of the house. As Norman Lear couples go, I think I prefer Weezie and George--their good times had a lot less tragedy.
    Weezie and George were such a great couple they even managed to cross networks. Going from CBS to ABC on Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

Extraordinary Member

I think I prefer Weezie and George--their good times had a lot less tragedy.
    Loved George and Weezie. They were hilarious together.

George: It's a jungle out there.
    Weezie: Well, hear this, Tarzan. Things ain't so great for Jane here in the treehouse either.

Weezie: George, you're acting just like a...just like a...just like a George Jefferson!
    George: Low blow, Weez.

George: Louise, you'll give me another son.
    Weezie: You better call Parcel Post cause I have stopped making deliveries.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Weezie and George were such a great couple they even managed to cross networks. Going from CBS to ABC on Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.
    They appeared on Fresh Prince and had cameo in Jane Austen's Mafia! on the silver screen, as well.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Mighty Member

Arnold Ziffel and Cynthia Haney.

I also really liked Roseanne and Dan Conner because they were very realistic lower class couple and they really loved each other.

Yeah, my fave couples really love each other and stay true to eo too. Yes they argue and fight a bit like most real people do, but they make up and listen to each other.

This is why(to me) they are head and shoulders above every other couple sitcoms have ever fielded.

They were the most "Slice Of Life"(That said, John and Norma Arnold surely had their moments even though they were not in a straight up "Sitcom"...) That was always where the couples real strength was.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 10-08-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    If we're going to count stories where Isabelle Sanford and Sherman Hemsley appeared as other characters, let's not forget the movie, "Love at First Bite" which they were both in though, sadly, they were only in separate scenes.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    If we're going to count stories where Isabelle Sanford and Sherman Hemsley appeared as other characters, let's not forget the movie, "Love at First Bite" which they were both in though, sadly, they were only in separate scenes.
    If Weezie and George aren't bickering in a loving sort of way does it really count?

Bill and Judy Miller from Still Standing (Mark Addy and Jami Gertz)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    Bill and Judy Miller from Still Standing (Mark Addy and Jami Gertz)

Loved that show. I miss seeing the reruns. I wish they'd put the whole series on dvd.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Loved that show. I miss seeing the reruns. I wish they'd put the whole series on dvd.
    Loved Still Standing too. My one complaint about it is the way the son was often treated, even by the parents.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier