Extraordinary Member

Default The Rock vs. Rocky Balboa

The most electrifiying man in Sports Entertainment takes on the Italian Stallion.

Both are in their prime, who wins?

Each, in his own way, is capable of taking superhuman amounts of punishment. When someone allegedly slams your knee into a steel post or brings a knee drop down on your neck and you keep going, that's superhuman and that's pretty much all professional wrestlers. Rocky Balboa may have the edge in dishing out punishment. But this is still ultimately a wrestler versus a boxer. I'm going to go with the Rock being able to take enough punishment to get Balboa down on the mat and into a leverage pin. He
    has the easier path to victory.

Strictly speaking, you didn't say the Rock had to fight by wrestling rules such as they are or that Balboa had to fight by boxing rules or that this was a regulation match. Still, while Rocky Balboa does have a street fighting game, it didn't really include grappling so I'll still go with the guy with grappling feats who is bigger.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

It's not like Rock was some technical wizard in the ring himself.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

He beat Mankind in an "I Quit" match. If that's not some kind of dark magic, I don't know what is.

(Yes, I know it was by cheating, but maybe he'll be able to cheat his way to a win here. If nothing else he'll definitely be a lot more fun to watch.)
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

So, if we take Rocky's prime being his strongest, then that'd be from Rocky 4, where he fought Ivan Drago the roided-up Soviet super soldier. Ivan Drago punches with an average of 1,850 psi, and doing some research online, with the surface of Drago's fist/glove, that equates to 8,600 pounds of force, or over 4 Tons. For comparison, the average for real-world heavyweight boxers is only 700-1300 pounds of force. Going with the high-end of that average (1300), Ivan Drago hits with over 6 times the force of a real-world boxer. And Rocky could take dozens of those punches to the face with only a small cut to his temple to show for it, with Drago considering punching Rocky like punching a human-shaped piece of iron instead of a man.

We never see Rocky's punches measured in the movie, but he was able to go blow-for-blow with Drago and beat him (with even hurting him seeming to be considered impossible if his corner's reaction to making the guy bleed was any indication), so even if he can't hit with Drago's 4+ tons of force, it's still got to be far more than a real-world heavyweight boxer is capable of, at least with more force than a kayfabe chairshot or even a blow from Triple H's sledgehammer.

I'd say Rock is incapable of hurting Rocky before the Italian Stallion starts connecting with his superhuman punches and quickly KOs the most electrifying man in sports entertainment.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    So, if we take Rocky's prime being his strongest, then that'd be from Rocky 4, where he fought Ivan Drago the roided-up Soviet super soldier. Ivan Drago punches with an average of 1,850 psi, and doing some research online, with the surface of Drago's fist/glove, that equates to 8,600 pounds of force, or over 4 Tons. For comparison, the average for real-world heavyweight boxers is only 700-1300 pounds of force. Going with the high-end of that average (1300), Ivan Drago hits with over 6 times the force of a real-world boxer. And Rocky could take dozens of those punches to the face with only a small cut to his temple to show for it, with Drago considering punching Rocky like punching a human-shaped piece of iron instead of a man.

We never see Rocky's punches measured in the movie, but he was able to go blow-for-blow with Drago and beat him (with even hurting him seeming to be considered impossible if his corner's reaction to making the guy bleed was any indication), so even if he can't hit with Drago's 4+ tons of force, it's still got to be far more than a real-world heavyweight boxer is capable of, at least with more force than a kayfabe chairshot or even a blow from Triple H's sledgehammer.

I'd say Rock is incapable of hurting Rocky before the Italian Stallion starts connecting with his superhuman punches and quickly KOs the most electrifying man in sports entertainment.
    On top of that, Rocky defeated Thunderlips. He did receive a little bit of a beating, that's true, but he defeated him rather quickly (a few minutes or so). The Rock faced off against a very similarly looking man, but this man...Hulk something or other...was much older, and was able to take The Rock to his limits and back. Even though The Rock defeated him, it took him much longer to do. Rocky's opponent was much younger and he beat him in much less time, thus, I declare Rocky Balboa the victor!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenbane View Post
    On top of that, Rocky defeated Thunderlips. He did receive a little bit of a beating, that's true, but he defeated him rather quickly (a few minutes or so). The Rock faced off against a very similarly looking man, but this man...Hulk something or other...was much older, and was able to take The Rock to his limits and back. Even though The Rock defeated him, it took him much longer to do. Rocky's opponent was much younger and he beat him in much less time, thus, I declare Rocky Balboa the victor!
    Wasn't Rocky vs Thunderlips a no contest?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    Wasn't Rocky vs Thunderlips a no contest?
    It was a draw. But Thunderlips - the Ultimate Male - was also not only younger than Hulk Hogan when he faced the Rock, Thunderlips was also way bigger than Hulk Hogan. He was announced as nearly 7 feet tall and weighing 390 pounds. Rocky struggled, but he was able to lift him and toss him over the top rope.