Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank the Thor's

Default Rank the Thor's

From weakest to strongest. Comic book versions only.

Anyone who has held Mjolnir and BEEN WORTHY (or a near Mjolnir analogue) can be considered here.

Thoughts?

Bonus: Same thing but one off or temporary power ups count as a separate Thor entry.

I'm all Thor excited right now because Donny Cates is in charge of the new Thor run =)
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

He's not there yet, there's more Aaron to go! ;p

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post

Sigh.
    Yeeeaahhh but I'm still excited. ^_^

I mean, what's Aaron going to do? Hopelessly ruin Thor beyond all redemption right before handing him off?

...wait.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Dude..I'm peeing my pants man! The art looks so coooollll!
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Only using Aaron's run that I've read like two arcs of and only gotten feats via hearsay.

King Thor > Jane Thor > Worthy Thor > Unworthy Thor > Young Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    Only using Aaron's run that I've read like two arcs of and only gotten feats via hearsay.

King Thor > Jane Thor > Worthy Thor > Unworthy Thor > Young Thor.
    Is King Thor also Rune King Thor? Or are they different entities? Cause Rune King is pretty high up there in the power ranks.

And where would you put in Beta Ray Bill, Red Norvell, Dargo, and Thunderstrike.

Weakest would be Captain America, who seemingly got no power-up at all from the hammer.

Oh, hasn’t Future Surfer wielded the hammer? That’s got to be fairly high on the list...?

Aaron Run:

Phoenix King Thor > Necro-Thor > Old King Thor > Odin > Jane Foster Thor > Worthy Odinson > Beta Ray Bill > Ultimate Thor > Unworthy Odinson > AbunchofThors > Young Thor

As for all-time, it's a tossup between Rune King Thor and Phoenix King Thor. Although Necro-Thor is a savage beast.

Rune King Thor did things like no-sell Mangog, and take down Those Who Sit Above In Shadow. Curious to know what Phoenix King has done.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

No love for Masterson eh?
    - big_adventure

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    From weakest to strongest. Comic book versions only.

Anyone who has held Mjolnir and BEEN WORTHY (or a near Mjolnir analogue) can be considered here.
    Order of the Stick Thor is pretty powerful, if bound up in divine politics too much to show his power off.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

No love for Masterson eh?
    [Insert GotG "WHO ?" Meme Here]

Cthulhu blew his budget getting Cates hired, see.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Weakest is The Captain (aka Steve Rogers). Superman (from JLA/Avengers) should be high in the pecking order.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post

Sigh.
    Is it all right if I ask what people’s beef with Aaron is? Not wanting to break forum rules or anything.

I’ve never been able to read comics directly, just keeping up on vs forums and the like, but I remember people heavily praising the Gor the God Butcher stuff.

I know a lot of people didn’t love Jane Thor but I never saw anyone cogently lay it all out and never quite felt like I had the whole story on Aaron’s run...it kind of bugs me.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger19 View Post
    Is it all right if I ask what people’s beef with Aaron is? Not wanting to break forum rules or anything.

I’ve never been able to read comics directly, just keeping up on vs forums and the like, but I remember people heavily praising the Gor the God Butcher stuff.

I know a lot of people didn’t love Jane Thor but I never saw anyone cogently lay it all out and never quite felt like I had the whole story on Aaron’s run...it kind of bugs me.
    Jane Thor herself is ... fine (I would've preferred Tarene ... cuz she's literally Thorgirl), but Aaron basically pulled his pants down and **** all over Thor's canon and the character to establish her as the bestest which was completely unnecessary and not something I'd like to see from any writer really.

But like SERIOUSLY. TARENE:

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger19 View Post

It's nothing to do with rules or anything. Just sort of a shared opinion.

For me personally, there are probably too many small factors to describe in detail, so I'll keep it to my broader complaints.

1: Jane Thor. It has nothing to do with her being a woman or anything else like that. Nothing inherently wrong with Foster being worthy. It could have been a very interesting story to tell in my opinion. Buuuut Aaron seemingly went out of his way to put the former Odinson down in order to make Jane come off well by comparison. She didn't seem to have any struggles (which is always a touch boring imo) and very early on was performing feats that literally had Odinson saying things on panel like "How is she doing that? I could NEVER do that!". Putting down Odinson and giving her no real adversity or learning curve irked me. Mileage may vary.

2: Thor becoming unworthy in the first place just because Fury told him "Gor was right" felt a little forced. He literally had just overcome the Gor problem and it felt weird for that to affect him so. I might be spacing on the timeline of events here - been a while since I've read that stuff.

3: Internal consistency with the Thor characters in general. Everything from narration, feats and even some hard/soft reboots. Aaron ignored and recreated MANY ideas and aspects of Mjolnir to the point where Odin couldn't lift the darn thing, a sentient galaxy sized lightning storm was living in it etc. And get this - Jane literally kills/destroys Mjolnir by tossing it into the sun at one point. The freaking sun. Mjolnir has been in MULTIPLE stars many times in it's history - including TWICE as written by Aaron himself! It's never had a scratch. But then it gets destroyed? Just weird. He had to ignore a looot of other Mjolnir related history as well in regards to its various forgings and destructions in history.

These are just a few of my issues, but I hope it gets the point across.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 10-05-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    - big_adventure