Thread: Tales Of Voodoo

Question Tales Of Voodoo

Hello. New here and am looking to see if anyone knows anything about this comic book "Tales of Voodoo"....Looking for who might be the publisher and any background history behind it....Working on a website by the same title and did not know this existed until recently when I was scanning Amazon and found several of these comics listed for sell. Were these a one and done?

It was a magazine sized black and white comic that ran from 1968-1974 put out by a publisher called Eerie Publications (they were attempting to horn in on the Warren market). It was one of a number of horror black and white mags they put out. There were 36 issues plus an annual put out, but they were numbered like a magazine, not comic book, with volume #, issue # rather than consecutive numbering.

The series has all the covers posted and the contents indexed at the Grand Comic Book Database (GCD) located here: https://www.comics.org/series/10208/

Here's a sample cover of an issue (this one done by Carl Burgos, creator of the Golden Age Human Torch)

Since they were b&w magazines, they were outside the purview of the Comics Code Authority, and often went for schlock and shock.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Thanks. I did not know they were black and white so there is something right there...So because they are b&w they are not considered comic books is that it? I ran up on these things by accident while researching something else totally....Soon as the money allows I may pick up a few and smoke them over..I am really interested in them if nothing else but for morbid curiosity...Were they anymore besides these published in b&w? All my years as a kid buying comics I never saw a b&w one... Thanks for the response though.
    Last edited by Voodoo King; 10-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo King View Post
    Thanks. I did not know they were black and white so there is something right there...So because they are b&w they are not considered comic books is that it? I ran up on these things by accident while researching something else totally....Soon as the money allows I may pick up a few and smoke them over..I am really interested in them if nothing else but for morbid curiosity...Were they anymore besides these published in b&w? All my years as a kid buying comics I never saw a b&w one... Thanks for the response though.
    Marvel published a whole line of magazine sized comics in black and white in the 70s into the early 80s, from Savage Sword of Conan to Planet of the Apes to Marvel Preview to Vampire Tales. Warren Publications published Creepy, Eerie (Eerie magazine had nothing to do with the publisher Eerie that did Tales of Voodoo), Vampirella and others in black and white. Magazine sized black and white comics were common in the 70s to escape the limits of the comic code authority. They were intended for a slightly older audience than the color line, but weren't "adult" comics. They are "comic books" but they were larger than standard comics, magazine sized and higher page counts, and usually featured multiple stories and articles in each issue. However, the Comics Code Authority's regulations did not apply to anything other than the standard comics, so publishers could get away with things (usually horror elements) that would not be allowed in standard sized color comics.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I found this for anyone interested:

Eerie Publications:
    An Index and Collector's Guide

http://enjolrasworld.com/Miscellaneo...ns%20Index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Marvel published a whole line of magazine sized comics in black and white in the 70s into the early 80s, from Savage Sword of Conan to Planet of the Apes to Marvel Preview to Vampire Tales. Warren Publications published Creepy, Eerie (Eerie magazine had nothing to do with the publisher Eerie that did Tales of Voodoo), Vampirella and others in black and white. Magazine sized black and white comics were common in the 70s to escape the limits of the comic code authority. They were intended for a slightly older audience than the color line, but weren't "adult" comics. They are "comic books" but they were larger than standard comics, magazine sized and higher page counts, and usually featured multiple stories and articles in each issue. However, the Comics Code Authority's regulations did not apply to anything other than the standard comics, so publishers could get away with things (usually horror elements) that would not be allowed in standard sized color comics.

-M
    Did Burgos do all the covers of Tales of Voodoo or was it just that one issue? I know from what little I can find he was the Editor for Eerie from 71 to 75 on Horror Tales, Weird, Tales from the Tomb, Tales of Voodoo, Terror Tales, Weird, and Witches Tales. I am assuming all those were b&w as well.
    Last edited by Voodoo King; 10-07-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo King View Post
    Did Burgos do all the covers of Tales of Voodoo or was it just that one issue? I know from what little I can find he was the Editor for Eerie from 71 to 75 on Horror Tales, Weird, Tales from the Tomb, Tales of Voodoo, Terror Tales, Weird, and Witches Tales. I am assuming all those were b&w as well.

He did multiple covers but not all the cover. The links I gave you for the GCD have all the known creator credits for the issues.

-M