Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vampirella

Default Vampirella

Why do you guys think of the new series so far?

Pretty good, I like it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I wonder some people I talked to are waiting for the new series to become back issues. Do those still help the series?

Astonishing Member

Is this the one written by Chris Priest. I see another series is supposed to be coming out which is a continuation of a previous series (from the 90s, I think).

Extraordinary Member

I am reading Vampirella by Priest and really enjoying it. Really the first time I jumped on a Vampirella series.

The first issue of Vengeance of Vampirella, the continuation of the 90s series by the original writer, is also out and I picked it up and found it enjoyable too. I am sure it helps to have read the first run, but the story picks up with enough guidance that a new reader is not going to be lost, just curious I think.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am reading Vampirella by Priest and really enjoying it. Really the first time I jumped on a Vampirella series.

The first issue of Vengeance of Vampirella, the continuation of the 90s series by the original writer, is also out and I picked it up and found it enjoyable too. I am sure it helps to have read the first run, but the story picks up with enough guidance that a new reader is not going to be lost, just curious I think.
    There is a reprint of the first issue of the original run

https://www.midtowncomics.com/search...eplica+Edition

I hope we get at least a tradepack of all the original run or a omnibus

Astonishing Member

I didn't read the series to which this is a follow-on, but I had no trouble getting right into it. I'm enjoying it!

I’m caught up to this now. The art gets pretty rough in issue 5. Otherwise the interiors are ok, but not much better than that. I do find them flat for the most part. The coloring is too blame for this to an extent. I tend to prefer sketchier or scratchier linework. Also, some of the story telling is wonky. Some panels are confusing. The artist seems to be trying to convey an expression through body language but it just looks like the characters are in a weird position. Final word on the visuals. Can we get over the whole fear of the nipples thing? Geez, no one’s gonna die because they saw a drawing of a naked person.

The scripting and plotting side is the strongest aspect of this book (besides the awesome covers). I appreciate that priest is mixing in action and plot with the shrink session. However, 5 issues of this is a little much. I feel the plotting is trying too hard to be sophsticated and clever. I had never read a Vampirella book and I really didn’t need all of this lore and going back and forth in Vampirella history. I really just need the basics. Vampi’s an alien, she drinks blood, was banished from her home planet and kicks ass on earth. When the battle nuns and the werewolves show up I really don’t give a **** about the rest.

I would have preferred that the lore be peppered over 20 issues instead of what will probably be 6. I find I’m being cheated of what could be a b-movie grindhouse-y horror story in favour of a more heady/hip plot. I’m hoping the next arc is more blunt and that the interiors improve.

I like the characters for the most part. Except for Ben the witch. He oozes “I’m so cool and aloof” attitude. I find him terribly unlikable. And frankly I’m not sure why he’s around. Priest said he’s the conscience of the book. Why does the book’s moral compass have to be such a twat?
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Are you guys able to follow the plot? I lost thread in the last few issues because of all the jumping around back and forth in the timeline. Also have no prior familiarity with Vampire lore.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Astonishing Member

I have been an only occasional reader of Vampirella in the past, but I've found the Priest series to be self-contained so that it can be followed (and enjoyed!) with no previous background. The Vengeance of Vampirella relies more heavily on previous lore, but it too is easy enough to appreciate in and of itself. Both series seem to me to need no deep understanding of Vampi's history (or alternate histories!).

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I have been an only occasional reader of Vampirella in the past, but I've found the Priest series to be self-contained so that it can be followed (and enjoyed!) with no previous background. The Vengeance of Vampirella relies more heavily on previous lore, but it too is easy enough to appreciate in and of itself. Both series seem to me to need no deep understanding of Vampi's history (or alternate histories!).
    How would you recap the plot of Priest’s run so far?

Dynamite has sold the film and tv rights to Vampirella.

https://www.cbr.com/dynamite-sells-v...tv-rights/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Dynamite has sold the film and tv rights to Vampirella.

https://www.cbr.com/dynamite-sells-v...tv-rights/amp/
    hopefully Priest gets to write the movie script.

For Vampirella readers, which origin do you prefer?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Just found this thread, was about to create one!

Cool stuff from Vampi these days. The Vengeance run was pretty solid, although I thought it lost a little steam after Nyx was defeated (did like that story with the townspeople and that cave monster tho). And Priest has been up to his normal stuff with his run, pretty awesome (disclaimer: I read all of Sniegoski, but only the first couple issues and back half of Priest). Was cool how the two major concurrent runs were pretty different takes on the same character, both enjoyable yet different. I loved the 60s space sci-fi vibe Priest had, almost a throwback to the old Vampi stuff. The Ben Oliver variants of Vengeance were f'n awesome.

First issue of Draculina was pretty cool too. I didn’t read the Sacred Six, but plan on picking up the TP.

Vampiverse is way fun. The alternate versions of Vampirella are pretty great. Highlights for me are the “Leave it to Beaver” black-and-white mom version and the invisible Vampi. Great visual on the invisi-vampi, just her outfit and sunglasses doing her thing.

Nyx has been… okay so far. More of a straight up demon type story. When she went out drinking with Vampirella to find out she was a sad drunk was pretty funny.

No shortage of content, that’s for sure.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog