Default Idea: Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld animated series

I was thinking of a show that could appeal to a broader female audience while still being interesting to men, without using Wonder Woman or some A-lister. That led me to Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. She was actually created in the '80s as DC's attempt to entice female readers (keep in mind that female creators in comics were very few, and the audiences were almost exclusively male), so it seems fitting.

'80s nostalgia is up there, and I think this could work out as something different for DC to do while also being brilliant. Looking at Netflix's two big animated series, Castlevania and She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, there's clearly an audience for a show like this.

As for the premise, it's a more mature and complex story about political intrigue in another world. When 13-year-old Amy Winston gets pulled through a magical portal, finds herself as an adult in the magical Gemworld, and learns she's the heir apparent to the land, where she must embrace her true self and become a leader against the forces of Dark Opal.

They did do DC Nation shorts on Cartoon Network that amount to 9 minutes long back in like 2012. But since the DC Universe, and probably HBO Max, could use more new animation, and draw from more obscure places, and make a more PG-13 series, I think this would be a good choice for an animated series. I wouldn't want this to be connected to the shorts from back then though. As said, I'd like a more mature and fresh series that's PG-13 and not pulling punches when needed. Other than that, I can totally imagine a synthy '80s-esque score befitting the series.

What do you think?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

DC was fools for not turning that DC nation short in a full series. It was hugely popular and it did the quirky upbeat tone that CN loves nowadays.

Treating it like Netflix's Castlevania would be brilliant. The mature aspects would definitely push the material but to be safe with a property people aren't aware of, I would treat it like an all age show like ATLA and the 2011 Thundercats reboot instead of focusing on one specific age group. I do agree with HBO Max and the DCU service needing more animated shows.

Yeah, as said I'd have it be PG-13 like with Young Justice: Outsiders.