Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Create your own Black Label book

Note: if this has been done, please lock this.

The title is self-explanatory.

My book would be.......

Jason: Fallen Son. A four-issue prestige format book.
    The story, starring Jason Todd as the main character, is an interpretation of the character where we see him donning the cowl of the Batman. (Batman was killed by the Joker)
    Now you might ask, why would Jason don the cowl? Well, on this Earth, Dick was once Robin and later on he leaves Batman and becomes a gym teacher (never contacting the Bat-Fam again). We never see or hear anything from him. Tim was a Robin as well, but due to his massive ego he leaves Batman and tries to find the Joker on his own, resulting in Tim losing his vision permanently. His parents take care of him, he lives with them. Lastly, Damian joins his grandfather's League due to the depression he's been experiencing since his father's death. Later on Damian finds the Joker, or at least he thinks he has, but it's a doll with a bomb set to go off. BOOM!
    Jason has lost everyone, be it physically (Tim, Damian) or spiritually (Dick)

Now focusing on the main character, Jason.
    Jason is willing to kill the bad guys on this Earth. His main objective is to find the Joker and finish him off.
    In the final issue we see their confrontation, one last showdown.
    Ultimately, Jason manages to kill the Joker.
    Subsequently, he leaves and wanders off somewhere. Then he realises he's done the one thing he'd been longing to do: revenge. Yet, he feels completely wasted, no such thing as satisfaction. He looks at the horizon, takes a deep breath and then.....BANG!

Please let me know your thoughts!

What are your Black Label ideas?
    Let us know, share your ideas, be creative!

I really think the line needs a third Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey book for true evergreen movie synergy
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I really think the line needs a third Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey book for true evergreen movie synergy
    Lmao.
    I had a good chuckle over this one, thanks Pohzee.

Now in all seriousness, what would be your BL book?

Justice Society Infinity
    A limited series in DK3 format each issue with a mini insert book

The series would focus on the return of a villain from the early post-war years. The mystery of what originally happened will be uncovered through each insert book telling one chapter featuring a different JSA member by a different artist in Golden Age style art.
    The main story would be by the same art team and feature a combination of Justice Society and Infinity, Inc members now combined as Justice Society Infinity. Generational conflicts and differing attitudes make for drama as des the mystery and the modern scenes of the retro-futuristic Earth Two.

I have a few ideas, though no idea how people would feel about them. All of these are working titles that I just came up with.

JSA: Wartime- A realistic WW2 Era book staring the Justice Society of America as they take part in war time missions against characters like Captain Nazi.

Stretching the law- A hard boiled detective story starring elongated man who uses his Secret Six identity Big Shot to get into criminal enterprises where he may not be welcomed. However it may get him into trouble depending on how far he is willing to go to solve the case.

Ravanger: Rose has thorns- I actually really like Rose Wilson and would love to see a miniseries of her growing up an assassin while raised by Deathstroke while slowly trying to shift to being a hero and how troublesome that is with a dad like Slade Wilson.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Fraggin' Bastiches: A Lobo Tale.

Basically following Lobo on his galactic misadventures, sometimes guest starring a main DC character. Maybe even throwing in "being a dad" to Crush, in his own way (barring the trying to kill her part). A comedy/dark comedy series. Lot of explosions, slapstick comedy, redshirts getting killed (by Lobo), people trying to kill Lobo but Lobo ends up killing them, Lobo practically worshiping space dolphins...

You get the idea.

With two movie tie-ins, I'm not really sure what the Black Label stands for anymore. But it's certainly no longer the sandbox for top creators to create evergreen titles that it was initially billed as.

But for the sake of the thread I'd say that it is a continuity free, edgy-dark story. My first pick would be one about the Question dealing with some sort of conspiracy, but fortunately there's already a Question Black Label in the works. In the interest of not furthing this being the Batman-Harley-Joker line, I won't pitch for them. I wanted to avoid Batverse characters in general, but I like Nightwing too much not to pitch for him.

My first pitch would be titled wither Boy Wonderlust or Flameout. I'd have Dick attempt to take in a sidekick, Flamebird, taking things full circle. The first sidekick of the DCU taking on his own protege. But I'd have the kid become enamored with the stardom that comes along with being a superhero, acting recklessly to garner attention. Dick tries to right him, but he can't. He's stuck, because he knows firsthand that firing a sidekick will in no way deter them from returning to fight crime. But eventually Flamebird would get sick of Dick's moralizing and take the initiative to strike out on his own. He makes a big, public split from Dick and continues with his grandstanding ways. Eventually his reckless behavior, perhaps even staging crimes, prompts Dick to have to arrest the kid. Maybe Flamebird dies for some of that Black Label edge.

I'd also pitch a New Teen Titans series where they actually acted like teenagers. Used social media, drank, smoked, and curse. I think I'd ultimately lean in the same path with lack of responsibility as my other pitch. They either spend too much time enjoying their celebrity to effectively stop crime, or perhaps they get called on a mission while inebriated, and have the story play out like a celebrity having a drunk freakout. With the ultimate lesson also being about humility, professionalism, and altruism.

Maybe I'd tell a story about the Justice League getting killed off and the Titans having to step up in their place. That's my least edgy here, and most straightforward, but it'd probably be the most well received and enjoyable. I supposed along with needless edge another hallmark of the Black Label are dark future stories.

If it's not clear, I'm not a fan of the Black Label. I think it could be a good idea in theory, but in execution its just an edgelord, faux-mature imprint. With different for the sake of different and dark for the sake of dark.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 10-05-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

A Green Lantern book with Hal that takes us back to the 60's and the space age and how a GL flying around during that time would have affected things like the Cold War and Vietnam etc. Especially when it comes out that the american hero actually works for aliens. (and in this world there wouldn't have been other heroes around)

WWII adventures of the JSA would be cool.
    Suicide Squad would be perfect for this line, but they'd make it a Harley book LOL.
    New Gotham central.
    The Question.

But what I want the most:
    Morrison's Pax Americana.

Superman : Into the Dawn

it would basically be the continuation of the New 52 version of Superman who found himself stranded in the Dark Multiverse in Sidewats. he'd travel from world to world, saving them and allowing them to become stable enough to ascend to the normal Multiverse. In the end, he'd return to his world, where he's revealed to be the full New 52 Supes, complete with identity revealed, Diana as a fiancée and Bruce dead/amnesiac.

Incredible Member

Wonder woman: the heretic.

Wonder woman is called back to paradise island to defend a transgender Amazon who identifies as male...

Incredible Member

Superman: earth below.

Before he made his identity public, original golden age superman slips though a crack in time.

Finding himself in the suicide slum of a modern day metropolis run by lex Luther's rich elite.

Can the hope and optimism of yesteryear save the cynical world of today???

The Tigress and the Cheshire Cat by Marjorie Liu

A six issue miniseries following Artemis Crock, an agent of Checkmate as she pursues the mysterious assassin Cheshire who is actually her long lost sister Jade. Discusses racism and human trafficking in some parts.

Arsenal by Jim Keith

Follows a Navajo-born Roy Harper who works as a freelance agent alongside his cousin Brooke. Roy ultimately crosses paths with General Slade Wilson, a war hero with some ugly secrets he'd like to keep.

Wonder Woman: Olympus War

The Amazons and humanity go to war with the Olympian gods after having been pushed around one too many times.

My Name Is Terra

Explores the life of Tara Markov and the trials and tribulations she has suffered.

The Tigress and the Cheshire Cat by Marjorie Liu

A six issue miniseries following Artemis Crock, an agent of Checkmate as she pursues the mysterious assassin Cheshire who is actually her long lost sister Jade. Discusses racism and human trafficking in some parts.

Arsenal by Jim Keith

Follows a Navajo-born Roy Harper who works as a freelance agent alongside his cousin Brooke. Roy ultimately crosses paths with General Slade Wilson, a war hero with some ugly secrets he'd like to keep.

Wonder Woman: Olympus War

The Amazons and humanity go to war with the Olympian gods after having been pushed around one too many times.

My Name Is Terra

Explores the life of Tara Markov and the trials and tribulations she has suffered.

Incredible Member

Sea of Green: swamp thing floods world with weed and lsd to stop a nuclear war