Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amazing Member

No, he's not a Spider-Man character. A lot of characters crossover into Spider-Man or get their start in ASM. He's Spider-Man after all.

I don’t consider Punisher to be a rogue, so I have to say no he does not count as a Spiderman character.
    If I considered him a rogue I would put him in Spider-Man’s gallery, but I don’t think that fits him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    If they could get Garth Ennis to write it, then I'd totally support this.
    Eh. When Spidey appeared in Punisher’s ongoing in the early 2000s, Ennis treated him like a joke. Ennis has gone on record saying he doesn’t care for traditional costumed heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Eh. When Spidey appeared in Punisher’s ongoing in the early 2000s, Ennis treated him like a joke. Ennis has gone on record saying he doesn’t care for traditional costumed heroes.
    Yeah, you're right. Just wanted to add some levity to an already hostile situation.

He's as much a Spider-Man character as Wolverine is considered a Hulk character. They will always have an intense rivalry and some history, but that's about it.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    He's as much a Spider-Man character as Wolverine is considered a Hulk character. They will always have an intense rivalry and some history, but that's about it.
    Not really.

Observe Mister Mets' post last page, on former frequency of encore encounters / guest appearances.

Punisher, it took the following decade, the eighties, before he had his own title, but before then, he had annual or bi-annual comeback appearances on Spider-Man, with a pop-in each on Daredevil and Captain America.

And even after he had his own title, he still annually or bi-annually guested on Spider-Man through the first half of the nineties, but I'd assume mostly because "It's the nineties", when the thing Marvel loved to do was saturate Venom, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Punisher around.

Wolverine, about a year after his one appearance on Hulk, became an X-Man. Sure, he and Hulk's scrapped several more times since, to my knowledge their first encore bout was not until the late eighties on a Todd McFarlane issue of Hulk, but by then, Wolverine's still pegged as "X-Man", or his own character, since by the time of his first solo mini.
    Last edited by ngroove; 10-19-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd call Black Panther a Fantastic Four character.
    If we were writing a villain Black Panther story I would call him a Fantastic Four character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    If we were writing a villain Black Panther story I would call him a Fantastic Four character.
    Black Panther, Inhumans, and most notably Silver Surfer, although each has their notable independent marks as franchises of their own right in their own corners of Marvel, yes, I'd still say they are Fantastic Four characters.

No. He's long since outgrown just being a Spider-Man character. He outgrew that role way back in the late 80s, and definitely by the early 90s when he had 3 or 4 different solo titles running at the same time.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 10-23-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I'd say in the past decade or so, he's closer in relation to Daredevil than Spider-man.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'd say in the past decade or so, he's closer in relation to Daredevil than Spider-man.
    Beat me to it!

Honestly, the only time I ever like Punisher... Is when he's an antagonist to Daredevil. His guest appearances in Daredevil always make for an interesting conflict, both physical and philosophically. They're more a match physically... Honestly when I think of the top 5 Daredevil enemies.... He makes the list. Below Kingpin and Bullseye and MAYBE owl... but higher than Mr. Fear... I love when he appears there.

Spider-man?? They don't really have that 'opposite sides of the coin that Frank and Matt have. Spidey dislikes the killer, but not much more to their 'fights' than there is with wolverine or Deadpool or any other 'anti-hero' that he teams up with. Even in the 90's when he showed up in a spidey book you just knew it was 'because he's popular' and not for any deeper reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Exactly. I've thought the same thing over the past several years, and I think the Netflix TV shows only solidified it. Also, just like Kingpin, Punisher fits MUCH better as an antagonist for Daredevil than he does for Spider-Man anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Black Panther, Inhumans, and most notably Silver Surfer, although each has their notable independent marks as franchises of their own right in their own corners of Marvel, yes, I'd still say they are Fantastic Four characters.
    I agree with you to a point. It’s difficult for me to say definitively when it comes to two hero characters, meaning usually comic book heroes are their own characters and don’t belong elsewhere.

No though I do still consider Wilson Fisk as such.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!