Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Al Ewing and Juann Cabal taking over Guardians of the Galaxy in January

Announced at Marvel's Next Big Thing panel at NYCC on Friday that Don Cates is leaving the book, but Al Ewing is coming on in. I am super-hyped for this, as Ewing's cosmic and team books are my favourite kind of Ewing books. I've also liked Cabal's past work, so seems like a winning combo all around!

Some things of note:
    • Ewing said at the panel that the full team is larger than what's on the cover to the first issue
    • He also confirmed that's Marvel Boy on the cover, between Moondragon and Richard Rider in the background
    • Apparently going to be lots and lots of world-building. Ewing's taking control of space!
    • Picking up from the ending to Avengers: No Road Home, the reborn Olympian gods will be appearing here as the new team's first threat. Hercules might be on the roster as well then?

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1
    Writer: AL EWING
    Artist: JUANN CABAL
    IN 2020 -- SPACE IS THE PLACE!
    Once, they were a team of misfits. Now they're a family, and they've earned their peace. But the universe is not a peaceful place -- and it's only getting worse. The Great Empires are in turmoil. The rule of law is dead. And amidst the chaos, the Gods of Olympus have returned -- harbingers of a new age of war, reborn to burn their mark on the stars themselves. Someone has to guard the galaxy - but who will accept the mission? And will they survive it? Al Ewing (IMMORTAL HULK) and Juann Cabal (FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN) bring you in on the ground floor of a whole Marvel Universe of action and suspense!

If anyone can pull off the Guardians as a grand, cosmic, Space Opera, it's Ewing.

Kinda surprised with all the current solicits of Rocket dying, he's front-and-center on this cover.

I hope this is the real Phyla and Moondragon and not AU versions. Hopefully the larger roster has more women too.

Glad Rich is still in there.

Why do I foresee Noh-Varr and Peter not getting along?

Can't wait for this!!! Rich being on the team was enough to get me hyped but with Ewing at the helm this is everything I could ever ask for.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If anyone can pull off the Guardians as a grand, cosmic, Space Opera, it's Ewing.

Kinda surprised with all the current solicits of Rocket dying, he's front-and-center on this cover.

I hope this is the real Phyla and Moondragon and not AU versions. Hopefully the larger roster has more women too.

Based on Phyla’s outfit on the cover, it’s still the AU Moondragon and Phyla.

Disappointed. I was hoping that he would do something with Dwayne Taylor.

Marvel also uploaded their entire Next Big Thing panel where the announcement was made. Guardians talk starts around 7:00.

Gamora seems likely to still be on the team, and Ewing's story from the recent annual that looks like it was all set-up for this run had the revelation that Avril Kincaid was still alive somewhere. I expect her to join at some point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Disappointed. I was hoping that he would do something with Dwayne Taylor.
    He could still become a Guardian!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Surprised Cates wasn’t on longer, I thought he’d said he had longer plans than just the 12 issues.

That said, Cates’ run has been abit too in the middle for me. Ewing is a very good shout, I like what he did with Nova in the short Guardians Annual.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Gamora seems likely to still be on the team, and Ewing's story from the recent annual that looks like it was all set-up for this run had the revelation that Avril Kincaid was still alive somewhere. I expect her to join at some point as well.
    I don't know if we still need Gamora on the team, but I wouldn't be against it.

I don't give a lick about Kincaid but I know she has some fans. Maybe Ewing can do something interesting with her and Wendell.

At this point, I wouldn't mind if Peter Quill was killed off and replaced by Noh-Varr.

Either bring back the real Moondragon or Phyla or don't. Just bring back Moondragon, Phyla can stay dead.

Did they really just recycle a Nova pose from a previous Nova book?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I loved all his Ultimates stuff and LOOOOOOVE his Immortal Hulk so it will be great to see what they are going to do now that Al has the cosmic keys officially. Being what's happening in Immortal Hulk I wonder if we will eventually see a crossover (very possibly). Great news for the cosmic side of Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    At this point, I wouldn't mind if Peter Quill was killed off and replaced by Noh-Varr.
    I'm kind of surprised Peter's lasted as long as he has, to be honest.
    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Always will be the best Nova Prime pose you can get! Fans at Nova Message Board are pretty hyped for this run, espeically if Rich does get to be a member, or a member of a vastly extended team, probably due to the "unfortunate" fact the Corps got zapped again!

Quote Originally Posted by nova3333 View Post
    Always will be the best Nova Prime pose you can get! Fans at Nova Message Board are pretty hyped for this run, espeically if Rich does get to be a member, or a member of a vastly extended team, probably due to the "unfortunate" fact the Corps got zapped again!
    1. When did this happen?

2. Is Adsit dead at least? I don't understand how the Nova Corps keeps taking beatdowns but Adsit never dies and aliens way more advanced and deadly take orders from him. The last time I saw him he was shot in the back at point blank range and survived it over in Champions. He must be a writer's pet, but what writer would want him as a pet?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

If we are being honest Poster Quill as we knew him was killed off by James Gunn in the first Guardians movie. If you are looking to start a "bold new era" for the team Noh-Varr being made the team leader after Quill's death would be the next logical step.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

Either bring back the real Moondragon or Phyla or don't. Just bring back Moondragon, Phyla can stay dead.

It’s superhero comics—a lot of poses get reused. In fact, the DnA series used that pose more than once. Just shows how iconic that cover is!