Extraordinary Member

Default What happened to Peter getting his doctorate??

It seems like they took his doctorate due to 'cheating'....yes I know Otto is the one who 'earned' it....and brought in Curt Conners to give him an opportunity for a redo on the work.

But it just seems to have been dropped as a plot line.

Personally I would love to see the current Spidey title writers get together on keeping that as a recurring subplot for about a year in all the books...then have him wow with his presentation doing something beyond what Otto did.

I wouldn't look for it to happen. there are people who assume that having a PhD would 'age' him compared to others (Richards, Stark, Pym, etc.)

and we've already seen x number of "fraud" based screw up events in Peter's life enough, I don't care to see any more. the photography "outing" by Jonah from some years ago, then of course now with the Otto-assisted PhD now revealed, it's too much.

then of course there's people who assume that, well, Peter has no excuse to be dead broke if he has a terminal degree.. so it is what it is.. expect more shenanigans to put the kibosh on any finishing of his PhD. (and in what specific field, anyway? another hedging that is not soon to be revealed)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    It seems like they took his doctorate due to 'cheating'....yes I know Otto is the one who 'earned' it....and brought in Curt Conners to give him an opportunity for a redo on the work.

But it just seems to have been dropped as a plot line.

Personally I would love to see the current Spidey title writers get together on keeping that as a recurring subplot for about a year in all the books...then have him wow with his presentation doing something beyond what Otto did.
    He's currently a grad student under Curt (we saw him in one of his classes in I want to say...#25? Plus he shows up now and again in Ghost Spider). It's just not been in focus much because he's got a lot of other stuff going on right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    He's currently a grad student under Curt (we saw him in one of his classes in I want to say...#25? Plus he shows up now and again in Ghost Spider). It's just not been in focus much because he's got a lot of other stuff going on right now!
    Exactly. Peter is getting his doctorates. No clue when it'll be finalized, but it'll happen someday.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wouldn't look for it to happen. there are people who assume that having a PhD would 'age' him compared to others (Richards, Stark, Pym, etc.)

and we've already seen x number of "fraud" based screw up events in Peter's life enough, I don't care to see any more. the photography "outing" by Jonah from some years ago, then of course now with the Otto-assisted PhD now revealed, it's too much.

then of course there's people who assume that, well, Peter has no excuse to be dead broke if he has a terminal degree.. so it is what it is.. expect more shenanigans to put the kibosh on any finishing of his PhD. (and in what specific field, anyway? another hedging that is not soon to be revealed)
    There are plenty of broke people with Doctorates....people suffer from this delusion that a degree automatically makes you successful.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Exactly. Peter is getting his doctorates. No clue when it'll be finalized, but it'll happen someday.
    My point is I want to see him putting in the work. Class time, lab time, turning in the assignments....not just have it come along one day and say "here's your doctorate".
    Last edited by Chris0013; 10-06-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Yeah, how many times do you hear about graduates struggling to find work? Getting his degree won't suddenly end all of Peter's financial problems.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, how many times do you hear about graduates struggling to find work? Getting his degree won't suddenly end all of Peter's financial problems.
    Exactly, so they might as well pull the trigger this time around.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Pretty much nailed it there. Spider-Man is not allowed to age beyond his mid-to-late twenties. Just like Batman can never be happy. There are "set" things with characters that only get changed under Editorial Mandate, which means they never change... ever