14 22.95%
  • D-Underwhelming; a real letdown

5 8.20%
  • F---Terrible; a bad story in every way

0 0%
  • INCOMPLETE---Did Not Read

2 3.28%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I gave it a very very good. I liked all the BCD villains. Spencer can balance a lot of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    By the way, I voted "A" which---to me---does not mean it's quite on the same level as stories like the Master Planner saga or The Night Gwen Stacy Died. Those are A+ Spidey stories whereas "Hunted" to me is a solid "A"--it checks off all the boxes I look for with a big arc like this (great action, compelling antagonist(s), tension, drama, some humor, great cast, Spidey shows his humanity and all the primary cast members are left in a different place with great lead ins for future stories).
    I agree, solid A for those reasons.

Also really cool working in of both surprising Spidey B list characters and semi-obscure canon, recovering from some of Slott's unforced errors with characterizations (*cough* FELICIA *cough), and plenty of the patented Spencer humor that make his stories genuinely funny where they should be imo.

Astonishing Member

B for me. Went on slightly too long. Liked the KLH callbacks. Black Cat and Gibbons HUs were worth the format. Enjoyed more Spencer ASM arcs than this, Back to Basics and Heist the standouts.

Astonishing Member

I voted B.Itīs a story i will be re-reading but not one of the best Spider-Man stories.
    The story was entertaining,it was for sure a cool story with Kraven that ever since the Grim Hunt had not apeared in many Spider-Man comics but i did not find the new Kraven to be a cool new villain in the Spider-Man villains gallery.The story started quite interesting except the scene of Kraven and High Evolutionary.So the High Evolutionary was outsmarted by the Kraven.Yeah that was quite contrived,story wise.
    Art wise,no complains.Humberto Ramos and the other artistīs made for a very well ilustrated Spider-Man story.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Could have been abit...more...than it was. But it was still good.
    Would’ve preferred Spidey getting more to do, and perhaps working his way up to Kraven by first beating Arcade etc.
    Not bad, though. Might have preferred a different conclusion where Kraven finds new meaning to live.

I'm going with a B.

It is a fast read, especially when we're talking about twelve issues counting the specials with a cover price of four bucks minimum.

I do appreciate seeing the perspectives of the various side characters (Lizard, Gibbon, Vulture, etc.) but those stories are more satisfying than the central clash between Spider-Man and Kraven.

The main story is about pushing Spider-Man into one decision, and seeing whether his judgement on humanity is good, but we didn't need a story this long for that.

It's a lot of stuff we've seen before. The Kraven's Last Hunt homages are intentional, and there is something new to say about the characters, but even the ending is a retread of what happened to Kraven in the 80s and 90s.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

I gave it a C. If I could it would be a B-. I would not call it very very good but just good.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. But I can only give it a B because Kraven has never interested me as a villain. (I don't even really like the original "Kraven's Last Hunt" aside from the art.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Default What did you think of the Hunted storyline?

Hunted was the story arc that Nick Spencer's run had been building up to since he started writing Spider-Man. With it being over and some time passing since, I thought I'd ask what you guys thought of it?

For me, I liked how it balanced out the large cast, in particular how so many characters played a role of some sort such as Black Cat breaking out Billy Connors, Lizard blackmailing Taskmaster to getting him in, the Vulture leading the other villains to getting out (while looking out for himself and using the others as cannon fodder of course) after a meeting with Arcade, and the entire Gibbon issue which was pretty sad. In fact, it did a good job at humanizing many of the rogues in the story, while still keeping them core to their characters.

Typical Parker Luck happens when Spidey is about undermine Vulture's lies. Of course, you have Tasky betraying Black Ant... and then coming back to save him in the end. Some good action and artwork, and a good clash between Spidey and Kraven at the end. Hell, even Arcade was somewhat enjoyable here as a Riddler-esque character who comes up with overly-complicated plots for fun, and I usually think he's lame (that's not even getting into the Avengers Arena arc...).

There was a good contrast between Kraven the Hunter and Arcade, both of them are somewhat comparable (both are wealthy types want to prove their superiority to their prey), but are completely different in every other way. Having them work together in a loose alliance was actually a sound idea. I also thought it was cool how the targets were animal-themed characters, as it ties well into the overall "hunting" theme as opposed to just any random assortment of people. It also shows one major thing: You can never trust a villain, even if you're a villain yourself. This is proven multiple times.

The one downside to shifting the focus between all these different characters, of course, is that Spider-Man himself came across as being a side character in his own storyline. Really, it was more of a spotlight for all the other characters, while Spider-Man has rather minimal impact overall. He has maybe 30% of the story's presence and the rest is divided between the others. That's my only real gripe with it, that being Spidey's lack of a presence in the story that takes place in his own book.

Overall I enjoyed it.

What do you guys think of it?

Incredible Member

I'd give it a C-.

Really, the premise was hunters against prey. Yet, I felt there were really not all that many true casualties. Only, a few obscure or forgotten losers who was just there on a panel or a few pages for the purpose of being snuffed, and apparently, only one hunter, rather than a mass bloodbath on both sides, that "anything can happen, anyone can die" feeling.

And, the costumed animal "prey". Neat to see many of them - Walrus, White Rabbit, Puma, Squid, Man-Bull, Toad, Beetle, Yellowjacket, Fly, may have brought back Lady Octopus and Scorpia into relevance, while the story killed Impala, Mad Dog, Iguana, Gibbon, allegedly dead Mandrill - but they were only bit cameos. Only the big profile multiple-times-a-year seen animal-themed guys - Vulture, Rhino, Scorpion, Lizard - were given major page attention. There is quite a few of the obscure villains I just have not majorly seen in Spidey's, some Marvel altogether, in years. This story, many only seen in just a few panels of cameos altogether, does not change that.

While I casually enjoy a light Spider-Man vs Kraven romp - such as the fun Stan Lee Kraven the Hunter yarns - the personal stakes Spider-Man vs Kraven "honor" angle always bored me, and personally found highly overrated.
    Last edited by ngroove; 10-06-2019 at 09:09 PM.

For me it was a C. Just OK.
    It had some interesting stuff, but overall the story didn't grab me.
    There was also a lot of silly nonsense going on.
    Like how with the premise of capturing animal-themed supers the only ones that ended up getting nabbed were Spidey's B- and C-list villains. There's plenty more animal-themed supers beyond that. Or how of those villains almost all of them were so easilly fooled by Vulture, who isn't all that charismatic. And then Kraven's litter of clones and the one remaining one just replacing him in the end which felt like a cheap and uninspired ending.
    #EmmaWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Gave it a C, as it was ok. So far this is my lowest rating in the Spencer run. It was enjoyable, but I felt it began to drag and I am glad to be moving forward.
    My opinion has not changed and I will not be giving this arc a re-read. Overall, I am still loving Spencer on ASM, but this was my least favorite arc thus far in his run.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

it's my favorite spider-man storyline that didn't involve Otto Octavius.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

It was a very fun and clever way to get back to the pre-Grim Hunt status quo, which is to say Kraven is dead but has an heir who fills the role nicely. But with the added twist that Kraven's second death is redemptive.

BANNED

Default Rate it: Hunted by Nick Spencer

I want to know your opinion on this story arc from Nick Spencer's run.

I loved every single issue, even the build up to this storyline was great and engaging, the story arc itself was amazing, big in scope yet very centered on character development for both Peter and Kraven, all while delivering a satisfactory conclusion to this rivalry they've had for decades.

This serves as a goodbye to the Kraven we've known for years, giving a close to his "trilogy" that started on Kraven's Last Hunt, continued in Grim Hunt, and now ended on Hunted.